PDA

View Full Version : ACC in .pdf

rdwyer
12-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I own a copy of The American Card Catalog book. Wondering if anyone has gone through the pain of scanning all the pages and making a pdf. I would like to have this on my iPhone using Goodreader. (PDF reader) I don't want to destroy my copy. If this is taboo, let me know. I'm not sure if you can do this or not. Also be nice if it was searchable.

toppcat
12-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I am under the impression the copyright is still enforceable.

Bugsy
12-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I am under the impression the copyright is still enforceable.

It is.

rdwyer
12-28-2013, 05:22 PM
That's what I thought of. I guess if I did it myself, it would be ok. (?)

autograf
12-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I've done it.....but wouldn't feel kosher passing it along.....

Bugsy
12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
That's what I thought of. I guess if I did it myself, it would be ok. (?)

Absolutely. You just can't pass it around to others.

egbeachley
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
I have an ACC, a few actually. So I can make a .pdf for my own use. Why couldn't I just have Tom's and save some time?

Bugsy
12-31-2013, 01:21 PM
I have an ACC, a few actually. So I can make a .pdf for my own use. Why couldn't I just have Tom's and save some time?

You can't distribute an entire work unless you have authorization from the publisher.

GehrigFan
01-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Does the copyright hold true for all editions? I assume so, but it would be nice to be able to share some of the earliest copies of the ACC as they are horrendously expensive and tough to find.

Bugsy
01-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Does the copyright hold true for all editions? I assume so, but it would be nice to be able to share some of the earliest copies of the ACC as they are horrendously expensive and tough to find.

Anything before 1923 is fair game. Otherwise, copyright can still be in play.

steve B
01-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Anything before 1923 is fair game. Otherwise, copyright can still be in play.

Yep, that's how it is.

One of the guys I've met who collects bicycle racing stuff has bought entire news photo archives from Europe, several pallets of photos. When he did a book he had to hire a special lawyer to locate the rights holders and get or license the rights for each photo. Expensive, but necessary.

I've long felt that the copyright laws should be changed to allow limited distribution of works with little commercial value, or that are essentially abandoned.

In other words, Something like the ACC which has been out of print for decades and wouldn't sell many copies in any format would be ok to reproduce, but something like a classic novel or movie that can still sell a lot of copies and is occasionally reissued would not be ok.

With Sports collectibles being a somewhat small community, I'd think the rightsholder would be easy to find. Wasn't there an official reprint around 1980? I'd think whoever had the rights then still has them, and might allow a PDF version if asked.

Steve B

toppcat
01-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I have to think Chris Benjamin could hold the copyright, although perhaps it's Richard Gelman.

thecatspajamas
01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
The ACC 1988 reprint edition lists Nostalgia Press, Inc. as the copyright holder with an intro by Richard Gelman (Woody's son), but perhaps Richard owns/controls NPI?

Chris Benjamin picked up rights to the Card Collectors Bulletin from Charles Bray which he continued the run of through at least 1992 (possibly longer, but that is the most recent issue I have seen). I'm not sure what happened to the rights for the CCB past that, but I would imagine Benjamin still retains them.

rdwyer
01-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Ne1 have contact info for the copyright person/s? If they have it in computer form, I'd be glad to pay again for that. Don't want to destroy my only copy.

autograf
01-01-2014, 08:31 PM
My copy isn't searchable but I must say it's the BOMB having it ready for accessing at ANY time....I also have the CD of the 2009 Standard Catalog of BB Cards that is searchable....also cool. Also have Mitchell & Forbes American Tobacco Cards in PDF format.......

rdwyer
01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I agree. Having it on your iPhone is a lot better than carrying all those books around. I got the 21012 standard catalog of vintage baseball cards on my iPhone. (Contacted Krause, and they sold the pdf to me instead of the book. :)

autograf
01-02-2014, 07:16 AM
That's cool.....would like to have my SCD PDF updated.....

rdwyer
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Perhaps Bob Lemke can help. I'm trying to get the pdf for both the latest standard catalog of vintage baseball & football cards. I contacted Krause, and was promised call backs. But so far, nothing.

As for the ACC & American Tobacco cards by Robert Forbes, same story. I need better contact info. Can someone help me find better contacts for these two books?

thecatspajamas
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Perhaps Bob Lemke can help. I'm trying to get the pdf for both the latest standard catalog of vintage baseball & football cards. I contacted Krause, and was promised call backs. But so far, nothing.

As for the ACC & American Tobacco cards by Robert Forbes, same story. I need better contact info. Can someone help me find better contacts for these two books?

Bob Forbes posts on the non-sports side with some regularity. Here for example:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/thread/1355455540/last-1355687565/T42+backs+--+calling+Bob+Forbes

For the ACC, you'd need to figure out for sure who currently holds the rights.

rdwyer
01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks!

sportzjunky
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Is 110 bucks a decent cost for this book>? I plan on offing all my post war but HOF RC's, unique cards, and continue to primarily collect Prewar.. is this book a must? Seems to me Ill always be able to sell it back out of the collection but will I want to keep it inside for $110.00 in fairly good condition and a cover that's kid of trashed but still there?? Any thoughts? I already have the old judge book(jay/joe), lipsets 3 volumes book already... What books are musts for the preww2 collector?

rdwyer
01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Been awhile. But I would think you could get either book for under $40. eBay is the only place to get them, since they're both out of print.

thecatspajamas
01-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Is 110 bucks a decent cost for this book>? I plan on offing all my post war but HOF RC's, unique cards, and continue to primarily collect Prewar.. is this book a must? Seems to me Ill always be able to sell it back out of the collection but will I want to keep it inside for $110.00 in fairly good condition and a cover that's kid of trashed but still there?? Any thoughts? I already have the old judge book(jay/joe), lipsets 3 volumes book already... What books are musts for the preww2 collector?

For which book, the ACC? $110 seems pretty high, especially if the cover is trashed, unless it's one of the earlier editions. I have an extra hardcover copy of the 1960 edition with nice interiors and a couple of tears to the dust cover (I wouldn't say trashed, but not like new) that I'd do $70 shipped on if you're interested. I tend to prefer hardcovers for reference books as they hold up better, but that's just personal preference. If you're willing to settle for the softcover version, you can probably do even better if you keep your eye on eBay.

steve B
01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
The ACC is a good book to have as a historical reference, but it's not particularly useful as a general reference. I have two older ones, softcover, probably 1950's. Very few pictures, if any, and no checklists. But it has a general listing for nearly everything especially non-sports.

Both of mine were well under $100 and are in pretty good condition.

The other references that are good are
Sports collectors bible- 1975 or the second one 1980? It expanded on the ACC by adding checklists for most sets, but still no pictures.

Then the early Beckett guides which had a picture of one card per set.

The SCD big book is the best general reference so far.

Any of the specialized books are well worth getting.

Steve B

rdwyer
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
The reason why I started this post was because a PDF will not only let you search with ease, but also allow you to copy and paste the lists/prices. I'm still looking for the info necessary to contact the right people, so I can get the PDF's. Then would I be able to put these on my iPhone. Can anyone direct to the right contacts? TIA

thecatspajamas
01-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Bob Forbes is the right contact for the ATC. You just have to have a little patience. The non-sport side of the boards tends to move a bit more slowly.

As for whether the guide is available in pdf format, I don't know, but I've never heard him speak of such. I hope that I'm wrong though, because like you, I like the versatility of the pdf format. If I had the time, I'd scan all of my guides into pdf.

rdwyer
01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I believe the future of reference type books will be PDF. Who wants to lug around thick books anymore, when you can put it on an iPhone. if you scan the book they won't be searchable, unless you OCR every page.

sportzjunky
01-06-2014, 04:52 AM
Thank you for not letting me get fleeced. I received an on-line amazon card and went hunting, apparently shooting at a lame duck. I had seen comments about the ACC for the past month and the tone felt like it was something I should own moving forward. I should probably find and handle a copy locally, then decide.

Lance F if and when I buy that book, I will contact you first. I really appreciate your input in my threads recently.

ps - still have the gift card pondering where to get my .60 on the dollar in the collectors world of amazon... maybe Ill just buy some new Nike's...

Leon
01-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Thank you for not letting me get fleeced. I received an on-line amazon card and went hunting, apparently shooting at a lame duck. I had seen comments about the ACC for the past month and the tone felt like it was something I should own moving forward. I should probably find and handle a copy locally, then decide.

Lance F if and when I buy that book, I will contact you first. I really appreciate your input in my threads recently.

ps - still have the gift card pondering here to get my .60 on the dollar in the collectors world of amazon... maybe Ill just buy some new Nike's...

ACC's were printed in 1939 (by another name), 1946,1953,1960 and 1967. There will probably be some in our next Brockelman and Luckey Auction, starting next month. There will probably even be a 1939 one but it has a copy for a front cover.

sportzjunky
01-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Thank you Leon. Ill be looking at everything in the auction as well. Appreciated.