PDA

View Full Version : The Gifts that keeps on giving.. Christmas pickups 2013

Forever Young
12-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Since I no longer get anything from Santa(Probably because I am an ahole) and everyone else showers me with practical gifts(socks, gift cards, kitchenware, jellies..ect), I decided to treat myself to something I love.......BABES.

Merry Christmas to me!

1) Babe Ruth 1930 TYPE 1 photo pitching as a Yankee against the Red Sox(undefeated as a Yankee pitcher).

2) Marilyn Monroe 1952 Type 1 Playing ball.(love the "slug" as part of a sleeve the photo was stored in). Good God look at those legs....

Anyone else get any memorabilia for themselves/from others this holiday season??

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to my Net54 friends!

Duluth Eskimo
12-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Joe DiMaggio's greatest hit.......

slidekellyslide
12-23-2013, 04:29 PM
My wife wouldn't even know what to get me in the memorabilia dept or even where to get it, how much to spend, et cetera. I'll get the same practical gifts I always get at Christmas, but that's okay because every time I open a package that comes in the mail it's my own gift to myself and that's year round. :D

Forever Young
12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
My wife wouldn't even know what to get me in the memorabilia dept or even where to get it, how much to spend, et cetera. I'll get the same practical gifts I always get at Christmas, but that's okay because every time I open a package that comes in the mail it's my own gift to myself and that's year round. :D

My thoughts exactly... It is just the addict in me that needs a reason I guess Dan. Jason.. I certainly cannot disagree with you on that one. The prior hits were the means to a happy end ing though:)

JoeyF1981
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
My thoughts exactly... It is just the addict in me that needs a reason I guess Dan. Jason.. I certainly cannot disagree with you on that one. The prior hits were the means to a happy end ing though:)

Love the marilyn photo! awesome pick-ups as always

gnaz01
12-23-2013, 08:05 PM
My wife got this Christy Mathewson glove for me :)

Forever Young
12-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Since I no longer get anything from Santa(Probably because I am an ahole) and everyone else showers me with practical gifts(socks, gift cards, kitchenware, jellies..ect), I decided to treat myself to something I love.......BABES.

Merry Christmas to me!

1) Babe Ruth 1930 TYPE 1 photo pitching as a Yankee against the Red Sox(undefeated as a Yankee pitcher).

2) Marilyn Monroe 1952 Type 1 Playing ball.(love the "slug" as part of a sleeve the photo was stored in). Good God look at those legs....

Anyone else get any memorabilia for themselves/from others this holiday season??

My wife got this Christy Mathewson glove for me :)

That is just awesome!

bobfreedman
12-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Merry Christmas to me!

Ben, as always two outstanding photos, the Marilyn is a great crossover piece. Well done and Merry Christmas to you!

gnaz01
12-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Ben, as always two outstanding photos, the Marilyn is a great crossover piece. Well done and Merry Christmas to you!

Absolutely!! That may well have just turned into my favorite Marilyn photo!! Merry Christmas Ben and Bob !!

GKreindler
12-24-2013, 11:38 AM
I can say that I have had a similar experience with Santa. He told me that Ben is indeed an @$$hole.

But we love him anyway. :)

Graig

thecatspajamas
12-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I think Santa is just pissed because Ben kept sending back the photos he left under the Christmas tree. "I don't care if it was made with love and magic. Unless your elves produced this print within 2 years of when the photo was taken, it is NOT the Type 1 that I specified on my list!"

Thanks for the holiday chuckles, Ben, and I'd love to see a larger scan of that Marilyn photo sometime. You can put your watermark wherever you want on it, just don't be coverin' dem gams. Yowza!

jgmp123
12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I think Santa is just pissed because Ben kept sending back the photos he left under the Christmas tree. "I don't care if it was made with love and magic. Unless your elves produced this print within 2 years of when the photo was taken, it is NOT the Type 1 that I specified on my list!"

Thanks for the holiday chuckles, Ben, and I'd love to see a larger scan of that Marilyn photo sometime. You can put your watermark wherever you want on it, just don't be coverin' dem gams. Yowza!

+1...Amazing post Lance!

Runscott
12-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Nice. That last hyee auction must have been driving the 'Type I' guys nuts - he put 'Original Photo' in his titles instead of the sacred text....playing it safe? :eek:

Forever Young
12-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Nice. That last hyee auction must have been driving the 'Type I' guys nuts - he put 'Original Photo' in his titles instead of the sacred text....playing it safe? :eek:

Hyee has always done that so not sure what you are saying. Interesting post Scott. Lance .. As long as you don't sell crappy prints of my photos to poor unsuspecting buyers.. I will get you a scan. Merry Christmas to you both! :)

Merry Christmas Bob and Greg! Graig... you don't care about Christmas so go away:) hehe

callou2131
12-24-2013, 04:42 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/callou2131/jelly-of-the-club_zps8ba33ba1.jpg

Runscott
12-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Hyee has always done that so not sure what you are saying. Interesting post Scott.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic. I really think it's interesting that he doesn't put 'Type I' in his titles - seems like he would, given how important that designation is to people who buy his stuff regularly. Up until his last auction, where I won my first and only photo from him, I have never followed his auctions, so I don't really know how he's titled them in the past.

I sincerely hope everyone is having a great Christmas Eve. I have the traditional bacon-wrapped filet mignons cooking, while watching 'A Christmas Carol' with my gf and son. Can't get much better than that.

thetruthisoutthere
12-24-2013, 08:19 PM

+1

Every year I tell my girlfriend "If you want to get me a box of cards for Christmas, get me something I can rip (I explained what that meant)."

And every year she gets me the annual "Topps Complete Hobby Set."

This year I asked her to please just get me a gift card from the hobby shop....:)

mjkm90
12-25-2013, 11:14 AM
A HUGE Thank You to me good friend Mark S. (Perezfan) for helping my wife find and purchase the PERFECT Christmas gift for a Cubs/Tigers pennant collector. I am sooo blessed to have such a dear friend and amazing wife:)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/1935-detroit-tigers-world-series-pennant_zps10a5b731.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mjkm90/media/1935-detroit-tigers-world-series-pennant_zps10a5b731.jpg.html)

MGHPro
12-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Amazing present Mike !

thecatspajamas
12-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Lance .. As long as you don't sell crappy prints of my photos to poor unsuspecting buyers.. I will get you a scan. Merry Christmas to you both! :)

Don't worry, all of my reprints are made with the finest dot matrix printers. A whopping 72 dpi, baby! That way I can still put "vintage" in the title (because the printers are). I also like to leave something to the imagination with my reprints. "I think that's Marilyn, but if I squint a little more, I imagine it could actually be Joe. Hard to tell, as I've never seen Joe in hot pants and heels." ;)

Seriously though, with two young boys in the house, I can hardly find time to work with the original material that I have on hand and maintain a steady stream of smart-alec responses here. I'd love to be caught up to the point that I could even consider starting a side business of flooding eBay with low-quality LoC reprints and responding to e-mails from disappointed buyers, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Just in case though, I'll file any and all scans of Marilyn's legs that are sent my way in the "Super Secret Do Not Share" folder on my computer where I keep the rest of my "For Reference Only" photo scans :D

Hope everyone had/is having a great Christmas and is looking forward to 2014!

billyb
12-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Ben,
Great Marilyn photo, now there's a ballplayer I would not mind getting spiked by.

Looking at that umpire, I don't think he will be able to accurately call the next pitch. (Can't blame him}.
Great thread Ben, Happy Holidays.

HRBAKER
12-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Amazing present Mike !

Indeed! BEautiful pennant!

71buc
12-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Ben,that Monroe photo is awesome as is Mike's pennant. The Hank Aaron stub was a gift from my father it has long been on my want list. The funky early 1970s Bucs watch was a gift from my kids.

Tigerden
12-27-2013, 07:57 AM
A HUGE Thank You to me good friend Mark S. (Perezfan) for helping my wife find and purchase the PERFECT Christmas gift for a Cubs/Tigers pennant collector. I am sooo blessed to have such a dear friend and amazing wife:)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/1935-detroit-tigers-world-series-pennant_zps10a5b731.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mjkm90/media/1935-detroit-tigers-world-series-pennant_zps10a5b731.jpg.html)

Congrats Mike! Your wife easily could be in the running for wife of the year!!! That pennant was a must for your collection.

mjkm90
12-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Congrats Mike! Your wife easily could be in the running for wife of the year!!! That pennant was a must for your collection.

Thanks Adam...I agree with the wife of the year vote completely.:D

jerseygary
12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Boy, that Cubby Bear on the '35 pennant sure looks dejected!

HRBAKER
12-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Must have been able to see the future!

mjkm90
12-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Welcome to the world of being a Cubs Fan...LOL. Thank goodness I get "some" relief as a Tigers fan...some.

jcpowell76
01-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Steiner certified

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/johnsautographpage/Yankee%20Stadium%20Autographed%20Seat/IMG_8658_zpsd360dccd.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/johnsautographpage/Yankee%20Stadium%20Autographed%20Seat/IMG_8661_zpsbca0f9ef.jpg

David W
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Cool seat.

Did you get the autographs? If so, how?