PDA

View Full Version : Empty Topps wax box collectors?

tulsaboy
12-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I have always thought that the Topps wax boxes are beautiful little reminders of how baseball cards were packaged and marketed. I have a couple of older ones, mostly with wax packs in them. I have been thinking of starting to collect empty boxes, mostly because I can't afford full boxes. Does anyone here collect empty boxes? Does anyone have any advice on condition, pricing, etc.? What about display? If you have them how do you display them? Any thoughts are appreciated. The thread on 1969 Topps was very inspirqtional in this area! What a collection!

Robextend
12-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I am collecting the Topps boxes as compliments to my complete sets (1970-1990). I have a ways to go, but I think they are cool collectibles.

tulsaboy
12-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Empty or full of unopened packs?

ALR-bishop
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Anthony, Griffins on here, has a great pack and box collection ( empty). Also salesman samples. He is out of pocket for a couple of weeks, but I will ask him to post some scans of his box display when he gets back

bunst
12-21-2013, 12:09 PM
My empty box collection includes about 40 boxes from 1953 to 1969. Most 5-cent boxes from the 1960's are relatively easy to find and you shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a decent one. Mid to late 1950's 5-cent boxes are tougher to find but are around; $100-500 depending on year...early 1950's will cost you. 1-cent boxes up to 1965 are very difficult, with a couple being near impossible (such as 1959 & 1960). I don't really display them because I haven't come up with a good way to keep them without light damage. I just store them in a cabinet with my cards. It is definately a fun and challenging collectible. Mark Murphy put out a price guide in 1996? which is a great resource if you can find one. Good luck!

Robextend
12-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Empty or full of unopened packs?

Empty

Griffins
12-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I"m here Al.
This is an old picture, I put the display in storage but need to get it out and shrink wrap everything. I"ve got a full Topps run '51-'13 and Fleer '59-77, just missing '48 and '49 Bowman for a run of those.

http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/misc/collection/websize/WaxBoxes.tif.jpg

sflayank
12-21-2013, 03:04 PM
you dont collect the variations? 1c 5c dated undated?

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 03:10 PM
I"m here Al.
This is an old picture, I put the display in storage but need to get it out and shrink wrap everything. I"ve got a full Topps run '51-'13 and Fleer '59-77, just missing '48 and '49 Bowman for a run of those.

Wow, very cool Anthony.

tulsaboy
12-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Anthony, that is amazing! How neat! The display is great. If it were mine I would have it out all the time. If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to shrink wrap them? I sure like them in their natural state.

PM770
12-21-2013, 04:53 PM
I"m here Al.

What an awesome display! I like 1970 Fleer World Series Box. I've never seen a box of those.

jmoran19
12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
I collect them for the years I bought as a kid, 1970-76, here's a picture of my baseball and bball boxes

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersfh/jmoran19/other//displayb.JPG

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Very nice display Jmoran!

tulsaboy
12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Neat display! Since I started collecting in the 80's, a similar run for me is a lot easier that a 1970-1976 run. But the condition of yours is fantastic! How difficult was the 1971 to obtain?

mojorob
12-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Absolutly Great Looking Collections Anthony & John !!!

TulsaBoy,

71 empty boxes show up from time to time, but are very sought after.
Usually to the tune of around 200.00-300.00 in ex. condition.
Very high grade examples could easily shoot up well above those figures.
High grade examples are extremely tough to come by showing up very rearly.
A minty box if ever found could easily approach the 500.00 range.

Here's a scan I took a few months back of a portion of my display box collection.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_5173.jpg

mojorob
12-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Earlier this year, I ran across a little mini-find of Minty Display Boxes, of around a dozen or so.
Here's a few scans of a portion of them.
These all came out of a closed down Candy Store that I was told sat vacant for some 40 odd years.
At least that was the story, I was told.
These were real beauties, as the tops were for the most part still solid and unpunched.
Everything was still super bright and crisp looking like it was just snagged off the shelf yesterday.
Which basically they were.
To be able to find boxes in this kind of condition is really freakishly rare.
At least that's been my experience.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4440.JPG

mojorob
12-21-2013, 10:58 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4442.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4448.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4449.JPG

bostonmarathonman
12-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Anthony, do you not reply to pm's?!?!

Have sent you two pm's in the past three weeks (on 12-2 and 12-12) and have yet to hear back from you.

That being said, please check your pm inbox; thanks!!

tulsaboy
12-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Wow Kirk. Those are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! My name is Kevin, by the way. Not sure why it doesn't show up under my user name. Why do you have multiples of some years? Variants? Or just found a great deal? The stacked display behind some of them that are "popped" for display looks neat. Gives me a great idea for mine. Thanks!

Samsdaddy
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Kirk, those was display boxes are BEAUTIES!!!

Back in the 90's I started to collect wrappers but stopped because I was getting too scattered in what I wanted to collect and I have found if you are too scattered you never finish even one thing you want to collect.

So, my focus has been back on cards exclusively. I did purchase years back Mark Murphy's Price Guide to Unopened Packs just to enjoy the many pictures in the guide.

Again, great stuff Kirk and thanks for contributing to this thread.

Those who have shared have great collections you should all be proud of!

Erik

mmcgruff
12-22-2013, 10:53 AM
One of my favorite areas here and a great thread started. Once had an enormous collection and due to financial strains, I sold them off to Ron Oser some years back. My favorite that I remember having was a 1937 Goudey Flip Movie box and the perforation was still intact.
I also had the lid only to the 1967 Punchboards with Mantle pictured.
In the years I collected them I found that the odd year penny boxes were tougher to find for some reason rather than the even years.

mojorob
12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow Kirk. Those are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! My name is Kevin, by the way. Not sure why it doesn't show up under my user name. Why do you have multiples of some years? Variants? Or just found a great deal? The stacked display behind some of them that are "popped" for display looks neat. Gives me a great idea for mine. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words Kevin.
I did look for your name previously.

As far as mutiples of some years, actually I'm attempting to collect the display boxes in all the different Series they were issued during the decade of the 1960's in Baseball & Football.
That's why you'll see many mutiples, especially with Baseball.
Yea, It's True .... I have a thing for boxes! ;)

mmcgruff
12-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Hello Anthony,
Just wanted to comment on your nice display of empty boxes. Really takes me back when I was very active in the hobby before the economy went to crap! I used to collect them hot and heavy and starting around back in 1982 or so then some years ago due to financial strains, I had to part with them which broke my heart at the time but glad in a way too that others can enjoy them. I still have my 1971 rack pack box. Do you go for the variations as well? In my experience the odd year topps one cent boxes were tougher than the nickel variety. I like your 53 penny. I never had that one but did have penny's from 54, 56 through 59, 61 and 62. I also had bowmans and goudeys too. Care to chat some about this area? It's one of my favorites.
Take care friend,
Rick

tulsaboy
12-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Rick. Thanks for posting. Can you post a picture of your 1971 rack box? I have been curious what the earlier rack boxes looked like. There is a mid-60's rack on ebay right now (not a Christmas one) and it occurred to me that I have seen examples like it in Mark Murphy's book but not the empty boxes. Are you willing to show it off? Thanks!

mmcgruff
12-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey there Tulsaboy,
There is a problem with connecting my camera to the usb ports which I am working on. And when done, I will be glad to show it to you.
I was looking on ebay for that other one you mentioned but can not find it. Can you possibly tell me the item number for it?
Thanks,
Rick

tulsaboy
12-27-2013, 08:11 PM
It is a 1966 rack.

mmcgruff
12-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Okay I found it thanks a bunch. I was thinking it was a box that you were referring to originally.
I'm still working on the pics for you, sorry for the delay. I may have to scan it somewhere if I can find a large enough scanner, lol. The box is large in size.

Zach Wheat
12-28-2013, 11:01 AM
I also had the lid only to the 1967 Punchboards with Mantle pictured. In the years I collected them I found that the odd year penny boxes were tougher to find for some reason rather than the even years.

Rick,

Any idea if this is due to local distribution issues or if this is the case nation wide? I have never heard this before. Also do you have a pic of the '67 box with Mantle on it?

Thanks for sharing.

Z Wheat

mmcgruff
12-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Hey Zack
I am not certain as to why that was the case. It was just from my own perspective that was the way it seemed to be from the years I collected them.
Sorry, I don't have a pic of that because I parted with it some years ago with a bunch of boxes to an auction house. I wish I still had them all again but perhaps I can rebuild some day especially when the economy gets better. I remember it was orange in color and had a flesh colored hand punching through a stand up card and Mantle's pic was on the top of the card. I obtained it in a collection that once belonged to Woody Gelman.
Regards,
Rick

tulsaboy
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Sorry about that Rick. Realized that I didn't say "pack." I have never seen a mid 60's rack box.

mmcgruff
12-28-2013, 12:06 PM
No harm done Tulsa, :)