PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Mr. Evans doing??

JollyElm
12-18-2013, 09:35 PM

For most of my life I've looked at this card and I still can't for the life of me put together a scenario where anything makes sense. Darrell Evans is playing third base at Shea Stadium. This much we know. But why in heck is he jumping straight up in the air while looking straight up in the air?? And he's leaping pretty high. His body language suggests a high pop up to the infield...but why is he freakin' jumping??? And why is he as straight as a rail???

Anyone??

tonyo
12-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Maybe it's a line drive over his head.

One of those you jump for thinking at first you can snag it, but then after you jump, you realize no way you're going to get it so you don't even bother extending your glove hand. He's looking up watching the ball whiz by over his head.

Tony

sschauer
12-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Clearly he is doing his Criss Angel impersonation levitating.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5hCnFC_F4AM/TXI70Y8OCAI/AAAAAAAAAEE/enCyC8wVNqw/s1600/criss-s6-levitation.jpg

Paul S
12-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Most of the fans seem to be looking at him so I'm not sure about the line drive, but then again most fans would be looking up at the ball if a pop up. Maybe he practicing his ballet moves between pitches? I've seen that happen.

Leon
12-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Maybe it's a line drive over his head.

One of those you jump for thinking at first you can snag it, but then after you jump, you realize no way you're going to get it so you don't even bother extending your glove hand. He's looking up watching the ball whiz by over his head.

Tony

I have had this happen to me more times than I can count. It's possible..

tonyo
12-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Most of the fans seem to be looking at him so I'm not sure about the line drive, but then again most fans would be looking up at the ball if a pop up. Maybe he practicing his ballet moves between pitches? I've seen that happen.

Yep, I noticed that too, but if the ball is directly over his head or close, the fans would all be looking in his direction.

Volod
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
The photo catches him in a fraction of a second, so the viewer is misled into thinking he was "holding" the pose, so to speak, when, in reality, he was moving as fast as he could. I agree that he was most likely leaping to try to snare a linedrive, and the image shows him in at the top of the leap, with his arm starting to descend.

Paul S
12-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Yep, I noticed that too, but if the ball is directly over his head or close, the fans would all be looking in his direction.

That's true too. Maybe we should send him a letter and ask?

Volod
12-20-2013, 04:58 PM
If you watch video replay of line drives, you can see that spectators' eyes and heads remain on a batter well after the ball had cleared the infield in most cases. The ball is simply traveling much faster than people can react.

almostdone
12-20-2013, 09:20 PM
If you watch video replay of line drives, you can see that spectators' eyes and heads remain on a batter well after the ball had cleared the infield in most cases. The ball is simply traveling much faster than people can react.

I agree. I almost wonder if he was just jumping to stretch his legs at the start of a game. I've seen players do it and it would catch the eyes of the crowd behind him with not much else to watch at that point.
Just a thought,
Drew