PDA

View Full Version : The easy way to crack a Beckett slab

Pat R
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
There have been a few discussions on how hard it is to crack a Beckett slab.
I actually think they are the easiest to crack, although I don't think you could
ever do it without damaging the slab.

I take my ceramic tile nippers and hook the top jaw on the thick ridge of the
slab and gently pull down and you can get the two parts to seperate enough
to get the tip of a regular screw driver in to open it enough so you can pop
it open with your fingers.

I had this Abbaticchio out in less than thirty seconds.

Jason
12-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm always worried about clipping the card when I cut it out of the sleeve.I agree I don't think a Beckett Slab can be cracked without noticeable damage.But I wouldn't be surprised to see that someone could.

Tao_Moko
12-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm always worried about clipping the card when I cut it out of the sleeve.I agree I don't think a Beckett Slab can be cracked without noticeable damage.But I wouldn't be surprised to see that someone could.

The card borders are sometimes directly touching on all sides of the sleeve making them difficult to cut. I've still found that sharp scissors work best(very carefully).

To add - I can break out psa and sgc slabs in seconds with virtually no sign it's been done using only an eye glass repair kit. I prefer to see the slabs damaged when cracked open.

glynparson
12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
can you still do the newest model of psa slab? they are thinner than beckett but fit into each other in a similar fashion, rather than the old side seam holders.

Tao_Moko
12-15-2013, 01:04 PM
can you still do the newest model of psa slab? they are thinner than beckett but fit into each other in a similar fashion, rather than the old side seam holders.

I don't study the slabs very well before busting them so I'm not sure how much difference there really is. A trained eye can tell a carefully busted slab, but I just prefer that they are destroyed to reduce the chance of re-slabbing.

I have no issue buying slabbed cards when there is no more than a few dollar premium. It does give a warm and fuzzy that the card is authentic. They will always be freed once they hit my hands though.

campyfan39
12-15-2013, 02:10 PM
I clip a top corner with my huge pliers/wire cutters.
Then I gently insert small screw driver in at the top maybe an inch or two. Twist and it pops.

Literally took less than 10 seconds to get a 1950 bowman Reese out Friday.