PDA

View Full Version : Storing 1941 Play Ball

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Guys, I am closing in on completing this set in vgex-ex (60/72). It is a nice looking little set. The set is, and will remain, ungraded. Right now, most of the cards are in screwdown holders or Cardsavers. Should I put them all in screwdowns? Should I put them in pages in a D ring binder like I am doing with my 1950s Topps sets? I think I really like this option, but I am not sure if it's possible. If so, are there pages made for the 41s? I am not sure I could find an album small enough to keep it from looking weird, after all there are only 72 cards. I would appreciate your thoughts...

Bestdj777
12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
My preference has always been toploaders and a shoebox of something similar. I like to spread them out on the bed, flip through them, organize them, etc. I don't like the protection from the Cardsavers and have never been a fan of the screwdowns--I have taken all but one or two of my cards out of theirs.

Vintagevault13
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
My preference has always been toploaders and a shoebox of something similar. I like to spread them out on the bed, flip through them, organize them, etc. I don't like the protection from the Cardsavers and have never been a fan of the screwdowns--I have taken all but one or two of my cards out of theirs.

100% agree with Chris. Penny sleeves and toploaders will give excellent protection while allowing you to pick up and enjoy each card individually as nature intended.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I am curious, what don't you guys like about screwdowns? Just wondering...

Would you put the entire ungraded '41 Play Ball set in toploaders?

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 06:00 PM
By the way, I am talking about the 4 screw screwdowns that are non-recessed.

Vintagevault13
12-08-2013, 06:24 PM
I am curious, what don't you guys like about screwdowns? Just wondering...

Would you put the entire ungraded '41 Play Ball set in toploaders?

If tightened too tightly, the front of the card can stick to the screwdown and tear the paper when removed. They are also bulky. I would absolutely put the entire set in a sleeve/toploader. Great protection but not nearly as heavy. Since it is a smaller set, you may want to put the cards (in toploaders) in Ultra Pro 4-pocket sheets and then in a D-ring binder. You will have the best of both worlds, binder to display and easy to take cards out w/o damaging to look at more closely. 20 sheets will hold the entire set.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 06:33 PM
If tightened too tightly, the front of the card can stick to the screwdown and tear the paper when removed. They are also bulky. I would absolutely put the entire set in a sleeve/toploader. Great protection but not nearly as heavy. Since it is a smaller set, you may want to put the cards (in toploaders) in Ultra Pro 4-pocket sheets and then in a D-ring binder. You will have the best of both worlds, binder to display and easy to take cards out w/o damaging to look at more closely. 20 sheets will hold the entire set.

Ok, I see your point. Pretty good idea though. If I could find a small enough D ring binder, that might work with the 4 pocket pages. Thanks. Anyone else?

Vintagevault13
12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
I store my Aaron collection in sleeves/toploaders/4-pocket sheets.

Bestdj777
12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't use screw downs for several reasons. First, I am afraid of damaging them when assembling them. It is much easier to put them in a toploader than to try and line them up in a screw down. Second, they are a lot bulkier than toploaders. I used to store my collection in a shoebox--now moved to a fire safe--so space is an important consideration. Third, I don't think they offer any greater protection than the toploaders and they cost a bit more. I put my good cards in penny sleeves, a toploader, and occasionally one of those sealed bags (team bags?). It keeps them from sliding out, and so far I have not damaged a card. I've dropped them off of my bed onto the floor. My dog has walked across the top of them. No issues. Finally, there is something off putting about screw downs. Almost every time I see a "high end" card for sale on eBay in a screw down it is a fake. I'd say close to 99% of 1952 Topps Mantles in screw downs are counterfeits.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. If you like the look of the screwdowns and are confident in your ability to get them in without damage, great. If you are a bit more concerned about space, money, or putting the card in the holder, top loaders are a great alternative.

I've heard of many people using the four page binder/top loader combination. That is also a good way if you prefer the binder set up, because you can very easily remove them from the pages without issue.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Chris & Ed,

Thanks for your ideas. Discussions like this and other threads are a reason I keep coming back to Net54. I was never particularly in love with the idea of screwdowns for many of the reasons you all laid out. I just didn't know of any good alternative. I am thinking that I may give the top loader and 4 pocket Ultra Pro pages in a D ring binder a go for the set. And, Ed, like I said in another thread, I am eventually going to turn to player collecting. When I do, I will probably use the same approach. Those Aarons look fantastic! Nice group of cards!

Vintagevault13
12-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Chris & Ed,

Thanks for your ideas. Discussions like this and other threads are a reason I keep coming back to Net54. I was never particularly in love with the idea of screwdowns for many of the reasons you all laid out. I just didn't know of any good alternative. I am thinking that I may give the top loader and 4 pocket Ultra Pro pages in a D ring binder a go for the set. And, Ed, like I said in another thread, I am eventually going to turn to player collecting. When I do, I will probably use the same approach. Those Aarons look fantastic! Nice group of cards!

Thanks and congrats on nearing the completion of the set. Love to see some pics.

Bestdj777
12-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Always happy to weigh in and glad to help. I would love to see some pics when you get them all set up. It is a great set. I think the card below is the only one I have, but I love the coloring on them.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p669/debonochris/IMG_05302_zpsdb965e09.jpg

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I have the '41 partial in layaway at a local shop. I got a good buy, but it is still pricey. When I get it home in a couple of months I will be happy to show them off!

JLange
12-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I am a big fan of putting all cards that fit into cardsavers (graded card submission size, #Is I think) and then putting those into 4 pocket sheets. You can center the card nicely in the cardsaver and it fits well in the pocket without being too snug nor too loose. Let's you store them together but then take out individual cards for a new project without handling them. Someone on the board showed this a while back and that is all I have done ever since.