PDA

View Full Version : A Couple T206 Questions

colco
12-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi,
I'm relatively new to prewar cards and was hoping some of the more experienced people here could help me out. First off, I was wondering if you think this card is trimmed (to me it looks like the top is, but I don't know how to judge all that well.) And second I was wondering what the grade redux is for small tears. Is it an automatic 1 or A, or is it a 2 to 3 grade drop?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Jack

freakhappy
12-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey Jack, welcome to the world of T206's! It will be a long and crazy ride, so hold on tight :eek:

IMO the Griffith looks trimmed at the top, like you said. The top edge looks to go downward toward the corner, which indicates a trim job. Sometimes when cards look trimmed, but you aren't sure, you can see if the bottom has the same type of cut as the top...doesn't automatically mean it is or isn't trimmed, but you will see cards that are miscut and not trimmed, but look like they are. There are several threads about trimmed cards that you can gain knowledge from...just do a search in the archive. I'm sure others will chime in and direct you towards some good threads or articles.

As far as the tears go...I have seen 206's with "nicks" or "chips" that are in "1-3" holders. So the "nicks" do not necessarily kill the grade...just depends how severe and if they are actually paper loss or just chipping on the surface.

Edited to add: If those are tears (rough cuts) at the bottom, that could be an indication of a trim job as well.

Found a link: http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/trimming.html

wazoo
12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Mike summed it up! Happy Hunting!

Luke
12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Nice card despite the trim job.

colco
12-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I bought assuming it was trimmed, but just wanted to make sure. Best of luck.

Jack