PDA

View Full Version : Team Auto Ball question

almostdone
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I am a novice at best when it comes to autographs so I pass this along to those with much more know how. Is there certain team signed balls (assuming all the autographs are legit) worth the value of the sum of the signatures on the ball?

For instance I know that Babe Ruth single signed ball would probably fetch as close to or even more than a team ball with his signature on it but what if the ball was from say the 1927 Yankees team?

The reason I ask is it has come to my attention that a man in my community owns a team signed ball from the 1918 World Champion Boston Red Sox. It has close to 30 autographs on it including Ruth. It is owned by a father of a young man who works with me and he asked me what I thought it might be worth. I had no idea so I called a friend of mine who collects autographs to ask him. He didn't seem to feel that it would get much more of a premium than just a single signed Ruth ball from the same time. Then again, my friend might not really know what he is talking about when it comes to an item like this.

I am not in debate over the authenticity of the ball but rather just a general question as to why a ball like this wouldn't command a higher price when it has (in my opinion) more historical value than a single singed ball?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated.
Drew

dgo71
12-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Not my realm of expertise by any stretch, but I would think it would be worth more, for the historical aspect you noted and considering there are likely one or two (or more) players on that ball that are much tougher to find (though not as in demand) as Ruth. Team signed balls from that era are almost unheard of, so if it's in nice shape I would guess its value to be higher than a single-signed Ruth, maybe considerably so depending on the players present on the ball.

RelicSports
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I agree with Derek...chances are a team ball is worth more...but all depends on the condition of the autographs, etc. I know another 1918 ball is currently on ebay listed for $175K, which is a long shot. Another great team ball that recently sold at auction (Heritage) was a 1910 Philadelphia Athletics (Eddie Plank, Frank Baker, etc.), which went for approx. $40K or so if I remember correctly.

btcarfagno
12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
I am a novice at best when it comes to autographs so I pass this along to those with much more know how. Is there certain team signed balls (assuming all the autographs are legit) worth the value of the sum of the signatures on the ball?

For instance I know that Babe Ruth single signed ball would probably fetch as close to or even more than a team ball with his signature on it but what if the ball was from say the 1927 Yankees team?

The reason I ask is it has come to my attention that a man in my community owns a team signed ball from the 1918 World Champion Boston Red Sox. It has close to 30 autographs on it including Ruth. It is owned by a father of a young man who works with me and he asked me what I thought it might be worth. I had no idea so I called a friend of mine who collects autographs to ask him. He didn't seem to feel that it would get much more of a premium than just a single signed Ruth ball from the same time. Then again, my friend might not really know what he is talking about when it comes to an item like this.

I am not in debate over the authenticity of the ball but rather just a general question as to why a ball like this wouldn't command a higher price when it has (in my opinion) more historical value than a single singed ball?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated.
Drew

Drew,

For a ball like that, it would have more value than a single of Ruth for certain. Team signed balls from pre-1920 are exceedingly rare. To have one with Babe Ruth on it even moreso. That being the last Red Sox world championship team for several generations....I think that interest in the ball would be outrageous. If the signatures on the ball are still bold, I can see it going for six figures.

Tom C

Bpm0014
12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
The $175,000 ball on eBay, you think the seller would have someone with a semi decent understanding of the English language write up the description.

callou2131
12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
The $175,000 ball on eBay, you think the seller would have someone with a semi decent understanding of the English language write up the description.

Having a hard time deciding if I want to buy the $70,000 counterfeit beanie baby or not.