PDA

View Full Version : 52 Topps Mantle- Any chance its real?

MGHPro
12-02-2013, 08:12 PM
These are the scans I was sent.. Any chance it could be real?
Thanks for the help
Matt

Bestdj777
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I am not certain about this one. The finish looks a little flat to me. I am far from an expert on these things though.

HRBAKER
12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd say no, back looks far worse than the front but both look too dull and washed out to me.

Zach Wheat
12-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Matt,

I would have to give a No as well. There are a lot of things which are not consistent that give me concerns. The washed out colors are a huge issue, as well as the dark staining on the back which makes it look like it was given a bath in tea, while the colors on the front are washed and not consistent. The corner wear isn't consistent either - just looks odd. Just too many things that don't look right. I would be curious to see his answers for why he didn't get it graded...

Nice Gehrig logo in your avatar....it looks like the Gehrig signature on the wall at the Louisville Slugger museum/factory.

Z Wheat

David W
12-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Jim Carrey thinks it's good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

MGHPro
12-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the help . It's certainly appreciated . I figured it was too good to be true.
Matt

g_vezina_c55
12-03-2013, 08:50 AM
for me it look fake

pawpawdiv9
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
No to me--
1. the dark area at his temple looks too dark.
2. His cap brim looks shade-- part yellow, part white
3. Looks at his hands.. they look 2 totally different.
4. looking at the starts..left side looks yellowish and fades to white towards the right side.
5. The neck area looks too pixeled

the 'stache
12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
This Mantle is a fake, and I am 100% sure.

First of all, determine which Mantle card is being considered. There is a black border around the Yankee logo. Additionally, the black border surrounding the card itself is missing a pixel in the lower left hand corner. The front pictured represents a type "A" '52 Topps Mantle variation.

http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/52toppsmantlereal.htm

Now, examine the back of the card.

Per this '52 Mantle authentication site I use quite frequently, the "s" in "DiMaggio's" should line up directly under the "h" in "right". It clearly does not. Instead, the "s" lines up under the "t". Also, if you look at the two red lines which wrap "major & minor league batting record", the bottom line extends out beyond the top line. These two alignment issues point towards the back purchased being a type "B" example card. Additionally, the stitching on the baseball in the upper left corner is darker, and points to the right. So, the back pictured represents a type "B" '52 Topps Mantle variation.

I have never heard of a type "A" front and a type "B" back on the same card. Knowing this, I feel comfortable saying this card is not authentic.