PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on t201's

Vintagevault13
11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I have never bought pre-war cards, but I have been doing quite of bit of research, including reading this forum extensively. I saw a post mentioning the T201s and I became very interested. The set size is small, there are two players on each card, they are relatively inexpensive, and they look great. I am curious to read opinions from people much more versed in pre-war than myself.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

scooter729
11-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I think they're great for the reasons you listed above. Many people don't love the fact that they're not real photos and you don't even get a full picture of half of the players without folding the card.

As for me, it's a nice 50 card set which can be assembled for a decent price, so I'm all for it!

Fred
11-24-2013, 07:04 PM
The T201 is probably the best set to collect if you are new to pre-war and would like to be able to complete a T-card set without breaking the bank.

Think about this, you can complete a baseball card set that is over 100 years old without going broke. I took about 7 years to complete my first T201 set. I wasn't in a hurry and I purchased the cards at the best price I could find. The internet (basically ebay) has made these cards very widely available.

Alexcards
11-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Ironically... I just bought my very first T201 cards today... actually picked up the entire graded SGC set.... very affordable set with all the HOFers. Looks like you are a Braves fan... I'll catch you at one of the shows in Atlanta. I set up a few times a year.

freakhappy
11-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Everyone has given great reasons why to collect the T201 set...all of them very true. I started over two years ago and only have eight left! I started because it was a prewar set, relatively cheap, and I knew it wasn't going to take me forever to finish. The set has really grown on me and I'm starting to feel anxious as the end is nearing...the chase has been great!

I started out collecting T206's (which I still do), but I wanted another set to collect because the 206 set is enormous and will take me forever to finish...so the T201 finish line gives me something to look forward to...a nice compliment set. With every card acquired, 2% comes off of the completion of the set! Doesn't get much better than that.

Good luck with whatever direction you go...

Mike

Marslife
11-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Super nice set! I am working on my third set!!

freakhappy
11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Super nice set! I am working on my third set!!

Cliff...you are a monster! Third set :eek:

Vintagevault13
11-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Ironically... I just bought my very first T201 cards today... actually picked up the entire graded SGC set.... very affordable set with all the HOFers. Looks like you are a Braves fan... I'll catch you at one of the shows in Atlanta. I set up a few times a year.

Alex, sounds good. Thanks

drmondobueno
11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Cliff...you are a monster! Third set :eek:

Clff is turning into the Merchant of Mecca, yeah he do!!

On an aside, I began collecting doublefolders after winning an auction with two lots, both SGC, one with 50's, the other 80's. The prices on the higher end cards were more than reasonable compared to T206, and the size of the set makes it attractive to collecting and upgrading. The market can be thinner, and you will not see cards available like the Monster, but that means your opportunity, to my way of looking at things, is actually greater. Look at the number of Mecca sets on the registries in comparison to other prewar sets. It is also much, much easier to upgrade a 50 card set in comparison to a 524 card set. (unh, I think I said that already). And yeah, I appreciate stats on cards. Nothing like .385 batting averages to show why certain players are revered 112 years later.

Happy collecting!!

Koufax32fan
11-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I have 2 of the T201s (Evers/Chance ungraded and Johnson/Street SGC 35). Both of mine seem to have a "curved cut". Is that so the legs match up with the upper body when the card is folded?

I do like the drawings, even if they don't bear much resemblance to the players.

Batter67up
11-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Great set to collect. They are less expensive yet they have the players stats on them as well as a clean old-fashioned look as they are over 100 yrs old. The only downfall is if the star (Cobb) is on the back side of the card so you only see 1/2 of him. I was able to purchase Mathewson, Johnson, and Speaker cards for the price of a single T206 of Mathewson or Johnson.

mattsey9
11-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Agree with all the above posts. I'm at 26/50 right now and enjoying the chase.

ullmandds
11-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I've always liked T201...from a design aspect. Sadly though...most of the allure to me is actually showing people how they fold over to create another player...which is totally lost once they are slabbed! If I were to collect them...they'd have to be free...or atleast 1 example for demonstration purposes!

nolemmings
11-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Pete, I may be losing my mind (impossible you say--that happened long ago), but I seem to recall a grading company actually slabbing a folded T201, no doubt at the customer's request. Since they were already folded once, it seems somewhat intuitive that they should not be downgraded further for folding. In the case of Cobb it might look pretty neat too. Just sayin.

CW
11-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Easy to show 'em folded, guys, with a little help from photoshop ;)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/cw2112/cool-cardboard/8521/1911-t210-mecca-double-folder-crawfordcobb

t206fix
11-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Just as ironic, I sold a set yesterday to a guy from Atlanta:eek:! I miss them already.... better start working on another one!

This is a great set to collect - if you are a patient, you can get some really great deals. The graded cards confuse me though, sometimes I can't tell the difference between an SGC 30 and an SGC 50 at times! And, as previously mentioned, lots of HOFers.

Vintagevault13
11-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Just as ironic, I sold a set yesterday to a guy from Atlanta:eek:! I miss them already.... better start working on another one!

Funny. Maybe the "Atlanta connection" is my sign that it is meant for me to begin this set. I will post pics as I get started.

Marslife
11-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I display mine folded, boxed and slabbed!

BTW Tony! sad to see you let that set go... was a nice one! I have a pile of dupes, let me know when you get the bug again :)

Keith - I prefer the term "Mecca Man." Your motto is definately "Quality over Quantity!" Once that set is complete it will be difficult to overtake!

Good stuff...

drmondobueno
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
OK, Mecca Man, you got it.

Love that display, especially that box. And that is a real nice Evers for a 20!

t206fix
11-25-2013, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Marslife;1210323]
BTW Tony! sad to see you let that set go... was a nice one! I have a pile of dupes, let me know when you get the bug again :)
QUOTE]

I know - it was tough to let that set go but it looks like it found a good home with Alex. I had too many other interests (plus I had to pay off the 49 Paige RC I just picked up) but I'm sure I'll get the bug again and start picking up cheap ones! That Wajo with the writing on it from ebay went for $76! How often can you pick up a 1911 Walter Johnson for that cheap? I'm mad I missed out... see, I've got the bug already!

deadballera
11-25-2013, 12:30 PM
one of my favorites

Fred
11-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Sometimes you find a TPG company that doesn't have a clue at times.... The only reason I bought this T201 is because I can't believe some moron slabbed it this way.... I covered up the cert# so it wouldn't be removed from the pop reports. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when they slabbed this card.

Now how many T201s are you going to find slabbed like this?

I bet if you looked in ebay there's probably a full set of these cards being sold individually. If not a full set, then close to a full set.

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=122968&stc=1&d=1385517367