PDA

View Full Version : Do you Think SGC will Ever Label Certain Stamp Names on Their Slabs?

wazoo
11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi All,
The other day, one of the members (I think it was Nate?) won a t206 Rube Kroh card and it was labeled "Toy Town Stamp" on the slab. I was really intrigued by this because I had never seen this before. I know there are other well known stamps out the there, so my question is, do you think SGC will ever make mention of other stamps that are well known in their slabs? What makes this "Toy Town Stamp" so important compared to others? Thanks guys!

steve B
11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
The Toy Town stamp is probably mentioned because for a while it was sort of an unknown. Maybe an overprint, maybe not.

The fact is that it's a stamp from a kids game of the era that's a tiny toy post office with lots of detail. Tiny post office with boxes, tiny letters and stamps, and a tiny canceller that makes the toy town stamp.

So it's just another interesting backstamp that's not related to distribution in any way.

I think they might eventually be convinced to mention backstamps from known collectors, especially the ones with a full name.

The problem with hand stamped stuff is that it's really hard to authenticate. There are few ways to tell is it was done in 1909-11 or a month ago.

Steve B

wazoo
11-24-2013, 05:43 PM
The Toy Town stamp is probably mentioned because for a while it was sort of an unknown. Maybe an overprint, maybe not.

The fact is that it's a stamp from a kids game of the era that's a tiny toy post office with lots of detail. Tiny post office with boxes, tiny letters and stamps, and a tiny canceller that makes the toy town stamp.

So it's just another interesting backstamp that's not related to distribution in any way.

I think they might eventually be convinced to mention backstamps from known collectors, especially the ones with a full name.

The problem with hand stamped stuff is that it's really hard to authenticate. There are few ways to tell is it was done in 1909-11 or a month ago.

Steve B

Thanks so true. I wish we didn't have to worry about that stuff...