PDA

View Full Version : Dear Sellers and Auction Houses,

jhs5120
11-23-2013, 01:42 PM
If you are selling an item whose previous owner was a heavy smoker, please advertise it as such.

Thank you,
Jason

HRBAKER
11-23-2013, 01:43 PM
I take it you are experiencing "second hand choke?"
Agree.

jhs5120
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
I take it you are experiencing "second hand choke?"
Agree.

I purchased several raw sets from a major AH (not going to name who) and they came in crusty yellow binder pages. I'm in the process of removing the cards and I keep gagging over the stink.

Brian Van Horn
11-23-2013, 03:05 PM
I say this half kidding and half serious. Use a disposable dust mask. Just trying to be helpful.

kamikidEFFL
11-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree if they have a smoke smell u should notify the buyer. Treat others how you want to be treated.

ullmandds
11-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Unbelievable...tobacco cards smelling like tobacco...crazy sh&t!

wonkaticket
11-23-2013, 03:33 PM
unbelievable...tobacco cards smelling like tobacco...crazy sh&t!

lmao.

Peter_Spaeth
11-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I used to buy from an unnamed dealer who obviously was a heavy smoker. The packages and cards just reeked of cigarettes, and required an airing out.

Acollector
11-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Unbelievable...tobacco cards smelling like tobacco...crazy sh&t!

Better than toilet paper smelling like toilet.

nsaddict
11-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I find it nasty too. Quite a few sellers do have "items come from a smoke free home" in their descriptions. If 2 sellers had the same card in the same grade, I'd pay a bit more to avoid the repulsive smell.

Acollector
11-23-2013, 03:49 PM
If you are selling an item whose previous owner was a heavy smoker, please advertise it as such.

Thank you,
Jason

Maybe leaving it in the vicinity of an odor absorbing substance like baking soda might take some of the stench away.

ibuysportsephemera
11-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately nothing really works for paper that has a heavy smoke odor (based on my 25+ year experience handling paper).

This week I too returned a lot to a mid size auction house because of a heavy smoke odor. I wonder if it is the same AH, maybe even the same consignor?

I think there are some sellers on eBay who don't realize the smoke odor because they are used to it. But a AH should realize it.

IMO, smoke odor is the most damaging issue with paper items...to me they lose all of the collectible value.

Jeff

auggiedoggy
11-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately nothing really works for paper that has a heavy smoke odor (based on my 25+ year experience handling paper).

This week I too returned a lot to a mid size auction house because of a heavy smoke odor. I wonder if it is the same AH, maybe even the same consignor?

I think there are some sellers on eBay who don't realize the smoke odor because they are used to it. But a AH should realize it.

IMO, smoke odor is the most damaging issue with paper items...to me they lose all of the collectible value.

Jeff

Oh I'd say in another 100 years they'd lose that odour. ;)

bnorth
11-25-2013, 07:57 AM
2 thing I have done is soaking the card like is done to remove dirt works great and also placing them in a cedar box for a few days also works. I use the soaking method when they really stink of smoke or smell moldy/old card smell.

nebboy
11-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I have used a dryer sheet with the card in a sandwich bag for a week. It does help, also use the same dryer sheets when vintage paper items have that old house mildew smell.