PDA

View Full Version : Former Major Leaguer Babe Birrer passes

Butch7999
11-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Hi, not sure if this is appropriate here, but we felt obligated to mention that former Tiger, Oriole, and Dodger hurler Babe Birrer
passed away Tuesday at age 84.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-baseball-great-birrer-dies-at-84-20131120
We met and chatted with Babe many a time. He had a wild-and-crazy-guy sense of humor, loads of stories,
and could BS jovially and harmlessly in that great ex-ballplayer sort of way.

One addition and one correction to the Buffalo News article:
Babe pitched his 1947 American Legion team to the New York State title game, which was lost on a 9th-inning error.
Our dad was a high school and Legion teammate of Babe's, as well as a lifelong friend since childhood, so we know that
the burly, baseball-loving kid was always known as "Babe" and merely validated the nickname with his two-homer
performance against the KC A's in 1955 -- as far as we know, still the only player to have entered a major league game
as a relief pitcher and socked two home runs in in the process.

Leon
11-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Definitely the right place Butch. He sounds like he was a great man. Always sad to hear of another of the old guard leaving us.

benchod
11-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Very sad to hear.
he lived very close to me when I was growing up and his son was in my high school class.
very nice man

ethicsprof
11-23-2013, 12:32 PM
very sad news.
my condolences to family,friends, and fans.
with sympathy,
Barry

lharri3600
11-23-2013, 04:06 PM
I remember Babe as a kid when was with the Buffalo Bisons. I grew up around the corner from the Rock Pile. Babe always treated the kids in the neighborhood great. On occasion he'd let us in the stadium to run the bases.My condolences to family,friends, and fans.:(