PDA

View Full Version : Building 1911 T3 Turkey Red Set -- All PSA or mix-in SGC?

rockjenn
11-22-2013, 09:50 PM
First time posting, so apologies in advance if I'm re-addressing an "old" subject.

To preface, I'm building a 1911 T3 Set with all PSA 3.5 or higher graded cards. As I continue to build, I've been tempted to start mixing in SGC graded cards, but have held-out given my preference for PSA.

Notwithstanding, is there a consensus opinion on the preference/benefit of building a set with all cards from a single grading service, or is a "mixed" set of both PSA and SGC acceptable?

If you have a moment, let me know your respective thoughts. . . . .thanks in advance.

mawitzi
11-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I like my cards to match. I am working on a 34 goudey set. I only have PSA cards. I have no problem with SGC, but I think they look betting when they are all in the same slabs.

Bicem
11-22-2013, 09:58 PM
PSA, you'll have problems with SGC's over-sized holders coming apart.

glchen
11-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd mix since some of the cards with eye appeal that you may like will be more available in SGC holders. When you are done w/ the set, and happy with the cards, if you still don't like the SGC holders, you can always send them to PSA for a crossover (or crackout) to get them all the same.

dog*dirt
11-23-2013, 09:24 AM
While most of my T3s are raw I do have some in PSA holders. It is one of the few prewar sets that I prefer the look of the PSA holder over SGC. Good luck with the set as they are fantastic!

quinnsryche
11-23-2013, 11:52 AM
When I collected T3's I had all SGC. I think SGC looks better but will agree that I also had some problems with them coming apart (had to send some back to be reholdered). PSA's tend to go for more money in my experience, so SGC is a good alternative for the buyer on a budget but not for the seller/flipper.
Just my 2 cents.