PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson RC Topps, Tiffany?

maverickx31
11-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Hello. I'm a new member here and also fairly new at baseball card collecting. I was collecting as a kid and just recently started back into the hobby, so I'm learning as much as I can. I pulled this Randy Johnson rookie out of a mixed packs box of cards the other day and here that there are a couple of variations with this card. One of which is a base card and another called a Tiffany? What variation is this card and what is the best way to distinguish the difference?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and I look forward to being a member here!

Pete

con40
11-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Welcome... the easiest way to spot a Topps Tiffany from a regular Topps is the card back... Tiffanies are printed on white stock, regular on gray chipboard back.... fronts are glossier on Tiffanies too.

Briscogun
11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Yes, the back of a Topps Tiffany card has much more vibrant colors than the relatively muted colors of its gray-carded brethren. Once you see a Tiffany card you'll recognize one for the rest of your life.

Post a scan of the back and we'd be able to see for sure (assuming its a good scan).

And welcome back to card collecting!

Brian

maverickx31
11-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the great info guys! Here's the back.

CW
11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Looks like you have the regular version, which is also expected since you opened it from a pack. As mentioned, Topps' "tiffany" cards have glossier, smoother fronts, different card stock, more vibrantly colored backs, and they were only issued in complete sets of limited quantities (not packs). They also carry a higher price on the market.

On some cards, the plastic coating on the front, which gives it the gloss, can turn yellow-ish over time.

Here's a good article (http://www.cardboardconnection.com/comprehensive-guide-to-topps-tiffany-baseball-cards) from cardboardconnection.com about the sets.

And, here's a Randy Johnson tiffany back for comparison....

maverickx31
11-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Great! Thanks a lot! I can definitely see the difference. So are they only in the cello packs?

steve B
11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
No, not in any sort of packs.

They only came as complete sets.

Steve B

ALR-bishop
11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
In addition to the original run of Tiffany sets mentioned in the article ( 84-91), Topps also put out limited edition "Tiffany" sets in 2000, 2001 and 2002. As Chuck mentioned, as best I know they were only issued in factory sealed box sets, no packs of any kind

savedfrommyspokes
11-30-2013, 09:05 PM
In regards to the article, there are no print runs mentioned for several of the traded sets or the sets from 90-91(other than the 91's are noted as relatively scarce). Does anyone have an idea what the print runs actually were for the 90 and 91 sets?

maverickx31
12-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Thank you guys for all of the great detailed answers!!