PDA

View Full Version : Storing flats of various sizes together - Suggestions/Ideas?

markf31
11-22-2013, 09:24 AM
As my collection expands, I'm starting to rethink and debate the best way to store my flats. I have an array of different media types and anticipate acquiring additional types as I progress that do/would include GPCs, index cards, checks, small photos, large photos, contracts, documents and album pages just to name a few off the top of my head.

The two solutions that come to mind obviously is a D-ring binder with varying page types for the various items or the other option is a high quality archive document box with the items in individual sleeves/protectors stored in the box.

Anyone have any other ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

steve B
11-22-2013, 11:45 AM
One of the things I do with stuff of varying sizes that I want to look at and keep together and in order is using either a standard binder, or a 12x12 scrapbook binder. Most art and scrapbook stores sell acid free pages for the 12x12, and Ultra pro of course makes regular size one pocket pages.

I mount the items to acid free cardstock with acid free photo corners, and put it in the page protectors.

It works well, especially using a cardstock that is colored to be mildly contrasting. Like using a light tan color for white envelopes.

That way I can also store a variety of sizes and shapes in a consistent page size.

On 8 1/2 x 11 pages I can also print a writeup directly on the page before I mount the item.

Of course a serious archivist would go with mylar pockets in an archival box.

Either way is fine for the shorter term, and for most items.

If the bulk of it is more expensive, I might go with the mylar and boxes.

Steve B