PDA

View Full Version : 1969 World Series Press Pin ID Help Needed

btcarfagno
11-21-2013, 07:25 AM
This was part of the same lot as the 69 series Mets satchel. This is a lot of two press pins for the 69 series at Shea. The one on the bottom is the one that I am familiar with. The one on the top, however, I am not. The reproductions that I have seen do not look like this one. Is it an original just in a different version? Is it a reproduction?

Again, many thanks for any help. Press pins are quite a bit out of my comfort zone.

Tom C

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/1969press_zpsee8d5364.jpeg

GrayGhost
11-21-2013, 08:11 AM
maybe years of service, u get a diff color, silver vs Gold, etc? Just an idea.

Scott Garner
11-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Tom,
I do know that the Mets had a stadium giveaway over the last 5 years where replicas of the 1969 press pin were given away.

I'm not 100% certain if the silver colored press pin is one of these. Send an e-mail to Gary Dunear on net54. He's a big Mets fan & maybe he would know for sure...

btcarfagno
11-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks Scott. Do you know his screen name?

Tom C

Scott Garner
11-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks Scott. Do you know his screen name?

Tom C

Yes, he actually goes by his name Gary Dunaier (I spelled it correctly this time)

Gary Dunaier
11-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Scott, but I'm not an expert on press pins, so I can't help out here.

Thedodgerbum
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi Tom,

I have both versions also, and the silver one is authentic and a nice find. I believe it to be from a set of prototypes, and the gold one is the one the team went with. I have only seen a handful of the silver ones! So hang onto it. The ones that were given out later are very easily identified as copies as they are no where near the same quality and the colors is a slightly different shade from the original. I believe I got my silver one from a long time collector who bought out a lot of the prototypes from a family member of the long time Balfour press pin designer. Hope that helps. When I have time I will dig through my collections and send you a photo of the one I have. Enjoy the press pins! They are fun to collect especially when you find rare ones! Keith

btcarfagno
12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Tom,

I have both versions also, and the silver one is authentic and a nice find. I believe it to be from a set of prototypes, and the gold one is the one the team went with. I have only seen a handful of the silver ones! So hang onto it. The ones that were given out later are very easily identified as copies as they are no where near the same quality and the colors is a slightly different shade from the original. I believe I got my silver one from a long time collector who bought out a lot of the prototypes from a family member of the long time Balfour press pin designer. Hope that helps. When I have time I will dig through my collections and send you a photo of the one I have. Enjoy the press pins! They are fun to collect especially when you find rare ones! Keith

That is terrific Keith thank you. I had been told that it was a reprint but none of the reprints I had seen looked like it. Any idea as to value? I purchased it as part of a lot that also had a satchel that was given out to the press for the series as well as a signed reunion bat.

Tom C