PDA

View Full Version : Another '47-'66 Exhibits Question

39special
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I've been collecting Exhibits for about 6-8 months now,and noticed different
color tints.I was wondering how many different color variations there are and
can you tell the years by the colors?I scaned an Ashburn and Berra.Its harder to tell on the Berra in the scan,but the Ashburn you can see the difference.
Also on the red tinted ones I have,some seem to have a red haze at the bottom.Is that normal?

whiteymet
11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Hey Steve:

Welcome to the head scratching world of Exhibit Cards!! I have been collecting them a little longer than you. Going back to about 1960 when I was putting my 2 cents into the machine as a 10 year old at a NJ Amusement park.

There are a few other Exhibit collectors here on Net 54 who I am sure will chime in also. Look for Adam and Scott to comment.

Another collector and I are working on a year by year checklist, but I do not think we will ever have a definitive answer to all our questions. You can check out past threads on Exhibits here to read and see past discussions that may help you.

For example I am waiting to receive in the next few days what are supposed to be B&W cards from one of the issues I have never seen in B&W before. What has come to be known as the typescript set. This set has the name in the lower left corner and consists of 26 cards not counting the team cards, which does not make sense because most of their other sets were in 32 or 64 counts, but I digress. I have only seen sepia in these cards, but am expecting some in B&W soon.

I am attempting to collect a "master set" of Exhibits with all the E&V's and different tints. So to answer some of your questions, yes the different tints are most likely from different years, but because they issued some of the same cards year after year it is hard to pin down what year is which by the tint. And some of the sepia tints are so close to one another it is hard to tell one from the other. In the 1949 AN EXHIBIT CARD set I have or have seen (not counting team cards again) 18 of them in both sepia and B&W while the other 12 I have only seen in sepia. And I don't believe I just have not run into them,I do not think they were ever printed in B&W, but I am waiting to be proved wrong.

And yes again there are a few with the dark bands (haze as you called it) at the bottom, some of the same player comes with different levels of the dark band where you can not read the words underneath some partial etc. Off the top of my head I can think of Ashburn, Dropo, Ennis, Lemon, Musial, and Wertz that come this way.

Should you have more specific questions PM me, as I am always happy to share info on Exhibits with other collectors and hopefully learn things as I go along.

Fred

39special
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Hey Steve:

Welcome to the head scratching world of Exhibit Cards!! I have been collecting them a little longer than you. Going back to about 1960 when I was putting my 2 cents into the machine as a 10 year old at a NJ Amusement park.

There are a few other Exhibit collectors here on Net 54 who I am sure will chime in also. Look for Adam and Scott to comment.

Another collector and I are working on a year by year checklist, but I do not think we will ever have a definitive answer to all our questions. You can check out past threads on Exhibits here to read and see past discussions that may help you.

For example I am waiting to receive in the next few days what are supposed to be B&W cards from one of the issues I have never seen in B&W before. What has come to be known as the typescript set. This set has the name in the lower left corner and consists of 26 cards not counting the team cards, which does not make sense because most of their other sets were in 32 or 64 counts, but I digress. I have only seen sepia in these cards, but am expecting some in B&W soon.

I am attempting to collect a "master set" of Exhibits with all the E&V's and different tints. So to answer some of your questions, yes the different tints are most likely from different years, but because they issued some of the same cards year after year it is hard to pin down what year is which by the tint. And some of the sepia tints are so close to one another it is hard to tell one from the other. In the 1949 AN EXHIBIT CARD set I have or have seen (not counting team cards again) 18 of them in both sepia and B&W while the other 12 I have only seen in sepia. And I don't believe I just have not run into them,I do not think they were ever printed in B&W, but I am waiting to be proved wrong.

And yes again there are a few with the dark bands (haze as you called it) at the bottom, some of the same player comes with different levels of the dark band where you can not read the words underneath some partial etc. Off the top of my head I can think of Ashburn, Dropo, Ennis, Lemon, Musial, and Wertz that come this way.

Should you have more specific questions PM me, as I am always happy to share info on Exhibits with other collectors and hopefully learn things as I go along.

Fred

Thanks Fred!!