PDA

View Full Version : ...

Rollingstone206
11-19-2013, 11:32 PM

glchen
11-20-2013, 02:52 PM
No, there is not. Both TPG's have confirmed that they do not return the cracked out flip to the former TPG.

Rollingstone206
11-20-2013, 05:41 PM

DixieBaseball
11-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Do you have to specially request they return the flip to you or is that done automatically? I'm asking so I could send in the flip to have it removed from the pop report myself...

If you want to be a good steward of the population reports, you need to mail the flips to the TPG and someone's attention. (Call first, or get an email dialogue for someone to take ownership of it, and then once you mail it, wait a few weeks, and follow up)

I have returned about 40-50 flips to remove them from pop reports over the years and it is pretty easy, but requires a little follow up.

Also, I scan the flips, so I have record of them in case they say they didn't get them (This has happened once). Obviously, I would do this on more scarce issues that are important to me, but wouldn't bother on more populated issues. (That's just me)

As time ticks on though, the pop reports are going to become more inaccurate and perhaps redundant. The one useful piece to it though is looking at the big picture on population as that is a pretty good tool to see scarcity levels, etc.

glchen
11-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Do you have to specially request they return the flip to you or is that done automatically? I'm asking so I could send in the flip to have it removed from the pop report myself...

I don't think that the TPG's will return the flip to you even if you request it for a crossover submission. You can call them and ask, however. When I send the flips back to the original TPG, I usually just include it with a submission. For PSA, they tend to process the flips around the time the submission pops. For SGC, these days, I've had to email them to try to get at least the low pop cards removed from the population report. For both, I usually scan the cracked out flips before I send them in, so that I have a record of what flips I cracked, and so that I can email this to the TPG as evidence that I did crack out these flips if they can't locate the ones I sent in.

thehoodedcoder
11-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Hi

I have brought this up in the past. They should handle it amongst themselves.

The numbers are bloated. I suspect some of them heavily.

Even if they do there is nO way you will get every collector to submit their flips from the ones they crack out, unless they buy them back say at a dollar each.

Kevin

Gradedcardman
11-21-2013, 06:30 AM
What Jeremy stated is correct. I spoke with SGC and PSA at the National and they will subtract the flip from the report if they get the original flip. Kevin is correct that the numbers are bloated. I have a Lenox that PSA graded and I cracked it and had SGC grade BEFORE I knew they needed the paper.

bnorth
11-21-2013, 07:40 AM
The population report is also way off because of people cracking and recracking the same 9's till they get a ten. One of my friends sent in the same card 8 times till it came back a 10. The price difference in a 9 to a 10 more than made up for the 8 submission fees.

11-21-2013, 08:23 AM
One of my friends sent in the same card 8 times till it came back a 10. The price difference in a 9 to a 10 more than made up for the 8 submission fees.

What card? Do you have scans of the before (as an 8) and the after (as a 10)?

bnorth
11-21-2013, 08:37 AM
What card? Do you have scans of the before (as an 8) and the after (as a 10)?

The card went from a 9 to a 10. It was submitted 8 times. This is actually fairly common with nice looking 9's. Sorry no pics.

Lgarza99
11-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I can understand wanting the 10 but inflating pop reports hurts the value of the true remaining 9's. Did he turn in the 9 holder/flips? I don't see a way to easily scrub up pop reports once one holder has not been returned.

bnorth
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I can understand wanting the 10 but inflating pop reports hurts the value of the true remaining 9's. Did he turn in the 9 holder/flips? I don't see a way to easily scrub up pop reports once one holder has not been returned.

No the flips where not returned. If you want a 10 and it has been graded a 9 already chances are much higher it would return a 9 if you returned the flip.

I will use one of the most graded modern cards as an example A Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck PSA 9 sells for $40-50 and a PSA 10 sells for $260-300. If you find a nice looking 9 and crack it out you can resubmit it several times before they finally give it a 10 and still make a nice profit.

11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
The card went from a 9 to a 10. It was submitted 8 times. This is actually fairly common with nice looking 9's. Sorry no pics.

I apologize; I mixed up "8" times submitted with the "9" grade. You still haven't said what card though.

bnorth
11-21-2013, 04:52 PM
I apologize; I mixed up "8" times submitted with the "9" grade. You still haven't said what card though.

A 83 Topps Tony Gwynn about 3-4 yrs ago.