PDA

View Full Version : Nap LaJoie/Red Devil Ad

Knucksie1
11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi all~
Here's my quandary......I'm sure all are familiar with the Nap Lajoie metal sign (original or reprint) for Red Devil tobacco. I have also seen hat appears to be an ad from his baseball guide that does not use an image, but the wording is the same as the sign (Lajoie Chews Red Devil Tobacco, Ask him if he don't; Queen City Tobacco Co., Cincinnati, O."
Now, I have found a cardboard image 10 x 15 which mimics the baseball guide ad, BUT, it has an image of Lajoie (from the waist up, throwing) at the top.
Does anyone know what this would have been used for (maybe in front of the tobacco?); Is this sign scarce? Any idea of what the value of it would be?? If anyone is interested, I can send you a picture of it. Thx!

john
So

Bugsy
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I would be careful. It might be a fake (i.e. fantasy piece). I have seen several newspaper clippings of ads that were blown and and printed on artificially aged paper so that it looks like an original ad. You might want to post a photo on here for the group to see.

thecatspajamas
11-18-2013, 01:56 PM
You might want to post a photo on here for the group to see.

Always good advice when concerned that something might be a fake/fantasy piece.

Knucksie1
11-19-2013, 06:33 AM
hi~
Yes, I am always hesitant of a lot of posters being reproduced. I normally would never look to even purchase it until either I could see if up close (and not under a plastic wrap (lol) or have some take a look at it.
I work as an archivist and have seen many of the fakes.....however, since I was able to hold this poster, there is no doubt in my mind that is it real. I have the scan that I am posting for you to see....thanks!!!!

john