PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 1970's Football Set

Samsdaddy
11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
On the heels of the favorite 1960 Football set, I would love to hear from football collectors on your favorite 1970's set and why. And, if you are able to post some cards from your favorite 70's sets, please do so. I know BigRedOne (John) will. :)

My favorite set is the 1976 Topps set. It was the first year I collected football cards in bulk so to speak. O.J. Simpson was my favorite player and the Buffalo Bills was my favorite team though I lived in the suburbs of Chicago.

In second, is the 1975 Topps set. It was the first year I bought some packs and the O.J. card from that year is probably my favorite of all his cards. I really love the design of this set and there are several great action cards from the set.

Honorable mention goes to the 1972 set. I just think it highlights the merged league in a great way.

nearmint
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1970_Topps_Super_Glossy/22/O.J._Simpson.jpghttp://www.footballcardgallery.com/1970_Topps_Super_Glossy/29/Joe_Namath.jpg

Samsdaddy
11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1970_Topps_Super_Glossy/22/O.J._Simpson.jpghttp://www.footballcardgallery.com/1970_Topps_Super_Glossy/29/Joe_Namath.jpg

Yes, inserts count. Love those super glossy cards!

Jim65
11-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I love the '75s, my first year of buying cards, they always bring back memories. The '76s are a very close second.

Rickyy
11-19-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm still trying to finish my raw 71, 72, and 73 sets...those that I started as a kid..so definitely have sentimental memories for me personally. I like the 71 for their red and blue borders and really cool pictures with great focus. The 72 I like for the clean designs and ofcourse the challenge of the high numbers. Finally 73 is just a challenge because so many of the cards are badly centered or diamond cut...

Ricky Y

Tim Fritz
11-19-2013, 12:03 PM
1976 is my favorite set from the 1970s. I really like some of the action shots and overall design. Only thing I don't like are the drab team checklist cards.

Second favorite is 1972. I've always liked the high numbered All Pro cards and IA cards. Buying a large collection from a childhood collector with almost all the high numbers helped complete my set.

Least favorite is 1974. Just not a fan of the design.

m.wright58926
11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
1978's were the first cards I recall owning...not sure how I got them, just remember having them. Mom probably tossed those when we moved in 1980, and I don't own any today, been pretty focused on baseball. It's on my list to start a set at some point...design is OK...the big sidebar with the team name is "unique," won't describe it as attractive.

Samsdaddy
11-20-2013, 08:56 AM
1976 is my favorite set from the 1970s. I really like some of the action shots and overall design. Only thing I don't like are the drab team checklist cards.

Second favorite is 1972. I've always liked the high numbered All Pro cards and IA cards. Buying a large collection from a childhood collector with almost all the high numbers helped complete my set.

Least favorite is 1974. Just not a fan of the design.

I do not care for the 1974 set either. Quality control was very bad that year. And, I don't like the 1971 set. It is too cartoonish looking.

Also, just my opinion, but they finished the decade in 78 and 79 with two weak sets.

Another set I like in terms of card design in the 1977 set.

Tim Fritz
11-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Completely agree with you on the '78 set (bleh) and I really like the '77 set as well. '75 through '77 were three excellent sets produced by Topps in my opinion.

The '77 Staubach card is one of my all time favorites. There are also a bunch of other great cards from that set.

Now I feel like pulling out some of my 70s football sets tonight.

Samsdaddy
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Completely agree with you on the '78 set (bleh) and I really like the '77 set as well. '75 through '77 were three excellent sets produced by Topps in my opinion.

The '77 Staubach card is one of my all time favorites. There are also a bunch of other great cards from that set.

Now I feel like pulling out some of my 70s football sets tonight.

Yes, the Staubach card is nice as is Bob Griese, Greg Pruitt and Stabler just to name a few.

For some reason, I never collected 1977 Topps Football and I don't remember why. We had plenty of access to football cards living in the midwest. I may have been going through a comic book phase.

PowderedH2O
11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
My rankings of the Topps sets are: 1971, 1975, 1972, 1976, 1977, 1973, 1970, 1979, 1974, 1978. Not a fan of the 1978 sideways team names. I LOVE the 71's. Great color, great player selection (except no Kilmer) and the best backs ever.

skelly
11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I would lean towards the 76 set and the 77 set. Backs on the 75's are tough to read. The joint all pro cards are kind of something different, and must have been a cool feature for the 75's back when they first came out. I also like the 73 set. Harder to find cards truly centered than one might think. Also have colorful backs with a cartoon, etc...

BigRedOne
11-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Yes, Yes Indeed Im all about EVERYTHING seventies!

The very core of my entire collection is the 1970 to 1979 Run of Topps Sets Ive been on a mission building for the better part of 35 years now. My goal of building the Perfect sets may never be complete, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

Somebody mentioned in the "Favorite 1960's Sets" thread about the 1969 Topps set and how beautiful the 69's were in high grades. I think that can basically be true of any set. In high grades the cards take on a completely different look. Being able to see and feel your childhood sets in this way really does make the sets and cards even more special to me.

I love all of the Seventies sets and I seem to go through cycles of which ones are my favorites depending on which one I currently seem to be working the hardest on.

That being said, there seems to be a wide array of opinions and thats whats always been great about card collecting. Everyone has their favorites and a story why.

First off, Roger Staubach is my all-time greatest boyhood hero and the greatest Football player Ive ever seen. The 1972 Topps Set was the first cards I collected when I was 8-years old. It features Roger Stabach's Rookie as well as his Passing Leader, Pro-Action and Super Bowl MVP cards as the Cowboys and Doomsday ABSOLUTELY crushed that Same Undefeated Dolphins Team. I believe its still the only Super Bowl that a defense did not allow a touchdown. I also truely believe, That Cowboy team would have beat that Dolphin team a second time had it not been for that Pesky "Over The Hill" Redskin Team that got crushed by the Dolphins. They just didn't match up very well.

Along with the bold colors and the use of both horizontal and vertical cards the 1972 Topps Set was the last set to be issued in series.

Its other historical innovative first's like the League Leader, Pro-Action, Playoff and the largest crop of HOF Rookie cards ever issued in one set, Led by that of Roger Staubach, will always set the 72 set apart from all the rest for me.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/200RogerStaubachCOWBOYS.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/139SuperBowlCOWBOYS-DOLPHINS-1.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/04NFCPassingLdrs-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/122RogerStaubachIACOWBOYS-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/138NFCTitleCOWBOYS-49ERS.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20topps%20football/134NFCSemiCOWBOYS-VIKINGS.jpg
These Cowboy Playoff cards are two of my all-time favorite cards. Look at the sheer determination on Mr.Cowboy, Bob Lilly's face. Also notice the scores of the games. This was real football! When you had earn your points against a defense that didn't have its hands tied behind its backs by these pussified modern rules to promote and allow more scoring.

While yes, Ive spent boat loads of money over the years on these cards and it doesn't matter if I never see one red dime in return, because the cards and the heroes of my youth they represent are priceless. The saddest part is that we were probably the last generation of kids to ever experience card collecting in its purest form. No Price guides, No Labels, Just a mouthful of gum and a stack of cards in your pocket to swap with your friends.

1972 was a magical year for me as it also feature another football issue that may be even more Special than the 72 Topps Set itself!

The 1972 SUNOCO STAMP SET!
The all inclusive set of every player on the team with full on NFL logos was like noyhing we had EVER seen before! With a full color collector Album to boot we were just blown away by it as kids. About 10 years ago I went on a mission to assemble the finest 72 Sunoco set known to man. Again I spent boat loads on it, but again it never was about the money, Only the ability to now be able to escape back to 1972 everytime I open that special book of stamps. Once again it became priceless. Of coarse its featuring plenty of Roger Staubach and that first Super Bowl win for Tom landry made it all the more Special.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/72stamps/album128.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/72stamps/pg02.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/72stamps/pg01.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/72stamps/128pg01.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20Sunoco%20Stamps%20for%20sale/Stamps3.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20Sunoco%20Stamps%20for%20sale/Stamps1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20Sunoco%20Stamps%20for%20sale/MinnesotaVikings_zps9cffb3dd.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1972%20Sunoco%20Stamps%20for%20sale/HoustonOilers_zpsfba8da24.jpg

And of coarse my favorite stamp in the set. Lil Puddin Walt Garison
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/e47f0715-0b8c-423c-a101-3bcf510c518f_zpsa1837844.jpg

I'll be back to dicuss all of the other sets of the decade and why I prefer both the 78 and 79 sets over the 77 set.

John

Samsdaddy
11-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Well it is about time you showed up to this thread John. :D

I was wondering where you were. As a kid in the 70s, I did not care for the Cowboys at all. Now, looking back, I am a huge fan of Staubach and Tom Landry. Two men...all class!

And, I am in total agreement with this statement you made:

"The saddest part is that we were probably the last generation of kids to ever experience card collecting in its purest form. No Price guides, No Labels, Just a mouthful of gum and a stack of cards in your pocket to swap with your friends."

I remember Walt Garrison most for his smokeless tobacco commercials. Was it for Skoal? A little pinch between your cheek and gum.

I am interested to hear why you like the 78 and 79 sets. I don't particularly care for either though I did collect plenty of 79 cards back then.

Erik

Hot Springs Bathers
11-25-2013, 08:30 AM
I have never really cared for any of the 1970s sets or the 1969 while I love every set pre-69 set. Maybe because I started collecting in 1960. I even like the Nu-Cards. There was one little neighborhood grocery store that sold them close to my house.

The Walt Garrison commercials were for Skoal same as Earl Campbell. I have an autographed Skoal can from Garrison that a friend got for me at a trade show in the 1980s.

Samsdaddy
11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I have never really cared for any of the 1970s sets or the 1969 while I love every set pre-69 set. Maybe because I started collecting in 1960. I even like the Nu-Cards. There was one little neighborhood grocery store that sold them close to my house.

The Walt Garrison commercials were for Skoal same as Earl Campbell. I have an autographed Skoal can from Garrison that a friend got for me at a trade show in the 1980s.

Even though I started collecting in 1975, I prefer the 60s sets as well. I just think the 1960s was a classic time to collect sports cards. That being said, those sets from the mid 70s just remind me of being a boy again and collecting because you loved to collect, not because of the perceived value of a card.

A very unique item you have, an autographed Skoal container. I wonder how many people can say they have that item in their collection? :)

Hot Springs Bathers
11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I think you hit it exactly for me, I do also enjoy having the 70s and 80s sets but the ones that take you back to your boyhood are special.

PowderedH2O
11-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I started collecting with the 1973 set. I remember a kid trading me his OJ Simpson for "any white guy you have". My pleasure. I'll take your Larry Brown and Calvin Hill too! I remember my dad bringing me home a rack pack with Staubach on the front and Manning on the back. I loved collecting that set.

andybecker
11-25-2013, 06:53 PM
i'm surprised there hasn't been any love for the 77 Topps Mexican Set; topps product, tough tough set to complete......probably the toughest topps football set of all.....

Jayworld
12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
The 1975 set was the first set I started collecting as a kid (along with the 1975 baseball), but it was hit-or-miss; get a few packs (25 cents then for 10 cards!) whenever we made it over to the local 7-11. I did not care for the look of the 1976 set, and the 1977 set was the first set that I attempted to build (all from wax). I think I fell about 3-4 cards short. I stopped buying packs when I bought four packs (40 cards) and only got 4 that I needed; the rest were duplicates.

I guess I'm old school, as when I collected cards from packs, I actually checked off the checklist cards to keep track of what I had and did not have. Some purists or those that send cards off to TPG would deem that a travesty. It was part of the hobby and fun to me.

I recently picked up a lot of about 150 or so 1975 football cards on eBay just to "relive" some childhood memories, and sorting through them, I can remember which cards I did have back then. Got the George Blanda and Tom Dempsey Record cards which I had as I kid. Big thrill again.

It always bothered me that the logos on the helmets were airbrushed out back then; some teams looked worse (Chargers, Eagles, Rams) and some not so bad (Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins). I remember in 1979 or 1980 when Topps quite totally airbrushing out the complete horn on the Rams helmet; that was a big deal back then for the small group of collectors… :D

Samsdaddy
12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
The 1975 set was the first set I started collecting as a kid (along with the 1975 baseball), but it was hit-or-miss; get a few packs (25 cents then for 10 cards!) whenever we made it over to the local 7-11. I did not care for the look of the 1976 set, and the 1977 set was the first set that I attempted to build (all from wax). I think I fell about 3-4 cards short. I stopped buying packs when I bought four packs (40 cards) and only got 4 that I needed; the rest were duplicates.

I guess I'm old school, as when I collected cards from packs, I actually checked off the checklist cards to keep track of what I had and did not have. Some purists or those that send cards off to TPG would deem that a travesty. It was part of the hobby and fun to me.

I recently picked up a lot of about 150 or so 1975 football cards on eBay just to "relive" some childhood memories, and sorting through them, I can remember which cards I did have back then. Got the George Blanda and Tom Dempsey Record cards which I had as I kid. Big thrill again.

It always bothered me that the logos on the helmets were airbrushed out back then; some teams looked worse (Chargers, Eagles, Rams) and some not so bad (Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins). I remember in 1979 or 1980 when Topps quite totally airbrushing out the complete horn on the Rams helmet; that was a big deal back then for the small group of collectors… :D

Like you Jay, 1975 was a hit or miss for me as well. I bought more baseball packs that year than football. 1976 I really cranked up the collecting but for some reason, I do not recall buying one pack of 1977 cards. The design is very sharp and clean I just do not ever remember buying a pack and I lived in an area in the midwest where football cards were prevelant.

PM770
12-12-2013, 01:53 PM

I love stories like this. Thats what its all about. The memories. Thanks for sharing.

PM770
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm surprised about the disdain for the '78s. Actually thats my favorite of the 70s. The main reason is that the first year I collected them. I also love the 77 design. The 72 & 75 designs I really like as well. For some strange reason I can't work up any love for the 71s. I typically like colored borders (like 71 and 75 in baseball), but the 71s just don't do it for me.

Samsdaddy
12-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm surprised about the disdain for the '78s. Actually thats my favorite of the 70s. The main reason is that the first year I collected them. I also love the 77 design. The 72 & 75 designs I really like as well. For some strange reason I can't work up any love for the 71s. I typically like colored borders (like 71 and 75 in baseball), but the 71s just don't do it for me.

I just thought the 1971 set was too cartoonish for my liking.

The 78 set I thought was dull but totally understand a person's affections for the first set of cards they ever collected.

jefferyepayne
12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I started casually collecting football cards in 1972 but by 1973 I was obsessed with putting together the '73 set. My favorite player was Joe Namath and I used to use my allowance to buy 5 packs of cards every Sunday on our way home from church. I gotta confess that during the "moment of silence meditation and prayer" at church, I always prayed that I would pull Joe Willy out of a pack on the way home.

Lo and behold, one Sunday a miracle occurred! Here's the actual card I pulled. As you can tell, it's gotten a lot of love over the years. Diamond cut and all, it didn't matter in '73.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/JoeWilly.jpg

jeff

Blackie
12-13-2013, 06:53 PM
I guess my favorite set of the 70's football would have to be the 1971 Topps set. I just like the layout and design of them.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c182/krunchtyme/Cards%20for%20Sale%20or%20Trade/Football/ZZZZ%20-%20GONE%20-%20ZZZZ/1971ToppsJoeNamathnotmint.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/krunchtyme/media/Cards%20for%20Sale%20or%20Trade/Football/ZZZZ%20-%20GONE%20-%20ZZZZ/1971ToppsJoeNamathnotmint.jpg.html)

mojorob
12-19-2013, 06:53 AM
I always thought these 1970's Football were pretty cool looking, especially back in the day.
Although if I had to pick one set from the 70's, it would probably be the 1971 Topps Football Issue.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4221.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4222.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4223.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4224.JPG

Samsdaddy
12-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Very nice Kirk...AGAIN! :)

I was never a huge fan of the 1970 Topps Football set even though back in the day when O.J. Simpson was my favorite player, his rookie card was in the set.

Years ago my future brother in-law gave me about half the set of 1969 Topps Football and a handful of 1970 Topps. I was so drawn to the colorful 1969 set and maybe that effected my view of the 1970 set.

Il Padrino
12-21-2013, 09:42 AM
The 1972 set is nothing short of AMAZING with just so much WIN.

Favorite years (Topps primary sets): 72, 75, 77, and 78.

Favorite 1970's sets (non-Topps primary): 72 Sunoco and 70 Topps Glossy.

Really ramped up my collecting during the 77 and 78 seasons, I was nuts about Cowboys cards (my NFC team). That is also when I began collecting vintage football and baseball with a keen focus on 1950's items (not bad for a 10 year old).

My all-time favorite 70's football card is the 1975 Pruitt. As a Browns fan (my AFC team) I had always hoped that Mean Joe Green wouldn't catch and eat him (I was 8 years old).

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
The 1972 set is nothing short of AMAZING with just so much WIN.

Favorite years (Topps primary sets): 72, 75, 77, and 78.

Favorite 1970's sets (non-Topps primary): 72 Sunoco and 70 Topps Glossy.

Really ramped up my collecting during the 77 and 78 seasons, I was nuts about Cowboys cards (my NFC team). That is also when I began collecting vintage football and baseball with a keen focus on 1950's items (not bad for a 10 year old).

My all-time favorite 70's football card is the 1975 Pruitt. As a Browns fan (my AFC team) I had always hoped that Mean Joe Green wouldn't catch and eat him (I was 8 years old).

No, not bad at all for a 10 year old. We must be the same age or just a year apart. That being said, as a 10 year old, I loved cards but other than the 1969 Topps Football cards I had, I was clueless about vintage cards at the time.

The Pruitt card is one of the BEST football cards of the 70s from an action and style standpoint IMHO.

Il Padrino
12-21-2013, 10:40 AM
The 69 set is one of my all-time favorite sets ever. Not sure what it was about the set, but I simply love it. I have three complete sets in storage in Florida, one day when I get back to the US I need to dig all my stuff out.

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
The 69 set is one of my all-time favorite sets ever. Not sure what it was about the set, but I simply love it. I have three complete sets in storage in Florida, one day when I get back to the US I need to dig all my stuff out.

When I was about 9 or 10 my future brother in-law gave me at least half of the 1969 Topps FB set. I fell in love with the set right away and eventually completed the set in the 1980s.

BigRedOne
12-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow! Kirk

Those 70 cello boxes and packs are simply unreal!

I thought I spent fortunes on cards!

Ive spent years building the 70 football set (I prefer it over the 69 design wise)

I could never own anything like those unopened cello boxes Kirk, I would open them looking for the final cards on my list.

Ive probably built the 70 set a few times over through out the years. As usual finding high grade examples is getting harder all the time.

My one White Whale in the 70 set is card #147 Dave Osborn, A mint copy has been on my wantlist for almost 20 years now.

I still have 20-25 cards I would like to find centered NM-MT to MINT copies of and those unopened packs had me clawing at the screen!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/01LenDawson70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/24LarryBrown70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/50DaryleLamonica70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/55RayNitschke70.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/70GaleSayers70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/71LeroyJordan70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/85FredBiletnikoff70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/87BobLilly70.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/90OJSimpson70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/144WillieBrown70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/150JoeNamath70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/162LarryCsonka70.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/180JohnUnitas70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/156CHumphrey70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/20LeroyKelly70.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/30BartStarr70.jpg

The sets are never really done as my OCD keeps me always on the hunt for a better centered, sharper card.

Man! I can't even bring myself to go back and look at those unopened boxes and packs! It will send me into code blue! LOL
Phenomenal stuff you have there Kirk!

John

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 02:30 PM
John...maybe Kirk is your long lost brother??? :D

BigRedOne
12-21-2013, 03:49 PM
While we're on the 1970 Set, We can't forget to mention all of the great insert cards from that year.

Like The cheesey Poster Inserts, that some how grow on me.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/01GaleSayers70P_zpsefe8b125.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/19BobLilly70P_zps25c26d50.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/06CarlEller70P_zps6bb0992c.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/22PaulWarfield70P_zpsab069668.jpg

Or the fantastic Glossy Inserts

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/02JohnUnitas70G_zps8aeae18e.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/01TommyNobis70G_zps7296d848.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/10WillieWood70G_zpsddd8edcd.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/22OjSimpson0G_zpsfa4389c7.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/15FranTarkenton70G_zps4a1c116b.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/19JimJohnson70G_zpsa21b22eb.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/29JoeNamath70G_zps1df31482.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/25LenDawson70G_zps1d939180.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/24FloydLittle70G_zpse9434500.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/32FredBiletnikoff70G_zps5ecee275.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/31DaryleLamonica70G_zps2676b236.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/16TomWoodeshick70G_zpsc1832756.jpg

For Some reason I have never gotten around to the SUPERS to totally complete a true Master set of 1970 Topps Football. I'll have to put that on my long list of things to do. LOL

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Great inserts John. I think the posters are pretty cool.

BigRedOne
12-21-2013, 04:08 PM
OHHH and least we not forget the always beautiful 1970 Kellogs 3-D set

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/48OjSimpson70K_zps1ac4175b.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/49CalvinHill70K_zps0b4d2039.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/42BobbyBell70K_zps62f82774.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/38DeaconJones70K_zps743a1de4.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/40LanceAlworth70K_zps5acb0c69.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/33KenWillard70K_zps3f922978.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/34JohnMackey70K_zps80c64fe7.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/17BobGriese70K_zpsa7d07898.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/16BillBrown70K_zps9c93a963.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/10DickButkus70K_zpsa9611c52.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/09NormSnead70K_zps62aa9dc7.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/51GaleSayers70K_zpscddf8efc.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/55JohnUnitas70K_zps4bea51c0.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/53SonnyJurgenson70K_zps0a2aebb3.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/54BobLilly70K_zps893bedca.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/02JimOtto70K_zps749ac271.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/06LenDawson70K_zps1026531b.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/13AlexKarras70K_zpseb1f6ad4.jpg

Yes The 1970 Set was a nice one! And one of my Favorites, But by now you guys know I pretty much say that about whatever set we're talking about.

I love em ALL!

Happy Holidays!

John

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Yea, you do John and you always have some great cards and inserts to show us and I don't mind at all. In fact, I encourage you to show more cards and inserts please! :D

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Was the 1970 Kelloggs available in cereal boxes or just sold as a set?

mojorob
12-21-2013, 05:11 PM
WOW, The Big Red One Just Totally Lowers The Boom on the 1970 Topps & Kellogg's Football.
Those raw cards are just off the charts John.
You have got the 1970 year covered in over all Mintness!!!
So now I know what kind of collecting animal, we're dealing with here. lol

The 1970 Cello's I have pictured are not sealed, but they're in pack fresh condition.

I'll see if I can find a few scans of some of my other 1970 Football stuff to possibly compliment your beautiful arsonal posted above.
Have to try and at least hold up my end of the bargin, so we can both try and keep Erik some what entertained here. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4330.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4458.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4334.JPG

The stack of insert posters on the right, have never been unfolded.
Back in the day, I had these plastered all over my bedroom walls.

mojorob
12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
These pictures were taken in the mourning light last Fall.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_43373.jpg

mojorob
12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4349.JPG

mojorob
12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4332.JPG

I sent in about a quarter of the set to PSA for garding, mostly Star & Semi's and over all was very pleased with the results.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4345.JPG

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 06:00 PM
WOW...WOW...WOW...

Kirk, seriously, you have a great collection as does John.

I really thank you both for sharing your collection. I don't have much right now and with very limited funds due to being unemployed right now, viewing all this really helps give me a "fix" so to speak.

I NEVER get tired of looking at these pictures of cards, packs, cello, inserts...DROOL!!!

mojorob
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Erik,

Glad to be able to sprinkle a little Holiday Cheer your way.
I certainly appreciate the oppourtunity to show some of this stuff off to you guys.
It's part of what makes it fun.
Happy Holidays To You & Yours!!
Kirk

Samsdaddy
12-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Erik,

Glad to be able to sprinkle a little Holiday Cheer your way.
Happy Holidays To You & Yours!!

Another great display Kirk and Merry Christmas to you as well.

BigRedOne
12-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Erik

Im a scanner junkie as well(as if you didn't already know)

Ive got three brother, but none of them were into the cards like I was when we were kids. With the kind of steller collection Kirk has been posting I would adopted him anyday as a Brother. I would even encourage him to keep his cards in my room!:)

As for how the Kelloggs cards were issued Im not sure, but I assume they could be had in the cereal boxes. Maybe Kirk has more insight on that.

I carefully scanned over the 70's pics you posted Kirk and did not see my White whale card, Dave Osborn #147

Also wanted to ask just how you came to have so much product like that?
It would certainly cost one a small fortune to aquire unopened boxes of 1970 product in todays crazy market. Im not even sure where one would find that kind of stuff. Kirk?

John

Samsdaddy
12-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Erik

Ive got three brother, but none of them were into the cards like I was when we were kids. With the kind of steller collection Kirk has been posting I would adopted him anyday as a Brother. I would even encourage him to keep his cards in my room!:)

As for how the Kelloggs cards were issued Im not sure, but I assume they could be had in the cereal boxes. Maybe Kirk has more insight on that.

I carefully scanned over the 70's pics you posted Kirk and did not see my White whale card, Dave Osborn #147

It would certainly cost one a small fortune to aquire unopened boxes of 1970 product in todays crazy market. Im not even sure where one would find that kind of stuff. Kirk?

John

You, a scanner junkie John??? I never noticed. ;)

I, for one, am glad you are a scanner junkie. Keep it up!

Between the two of you and your collections, we might never see you both as all you would do is look at your stuff. I would not blame you as that is what I would do for hours on end.

BigRedOne
12-22-2013, 10:26 AM
What the heck, I forgot to put a few pics in my last post!!:eek:

Your killing me softly with those pics of yours Kirk:o

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/05LeroyKelly70G_zps0c0cb7ad.jpg
Leroy Kelly was one of the Great backs in history, Problem was he was Jim Browns replacement.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/04MacPercival70G_zpsc3bf58ba.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/03TomMatte70G_zps58c56266.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/26GeorgeWebster70G_zps18e56db6.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/12BillKilmer70K_zpsea7df4a9.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/01CarlEller70K_zpsacd2a1d3.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1970%20Topps%20Football/Inserts/35MerlinOlsen70K_zps5c4b8511.jpg

Samsdaddy
12-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice cards John.

Another question for you though on the Kelloggs cards. How do you store them? They are notorious for curling so I would not think you would put them in binders. Top loaders? I can't stand top loaders myself though I have a set of cards in them. I prefer the Card Saver 1's but not sure they would help with Kelloggs cards in keeping them flat.

Samsdaddy
12-22-2013, 01:09 PM
WOW, The Big Red One Just Totally Lowers The Boom on the 1970 Topps & Kellogg's Football.
Those raw cards are just off the charts John.
You have got the 1970 year covered in over all Mintness!!!
So now I know what kind of collecting animal, we're dealing with here. lol

The 1970 Cello's I have pictured are not sealed, but they're in pack fresh condition.

I'll see if I can find a few scans of some of my other 1970 Football stuff to possibly compliment your beautiful arsonal posted above.
Have to try and at least hold up my end of the bargin, so we can both try and keep Erik some what entertained here. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/large/IMG_4330.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4458.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mojorob/mojorob/IMG_4334.JPG

The stack of insert posters on the right, have never been unfolded.
Back in the day, I had these plastered all over my bedroom walls.

I was just looking over this thread again Kirk and noticed the posters earlier and meant to ask if they had ever been unfolded. Now I know. :D

mojorob
12-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Erik

John

On the 1970 Kellogg's Issues ....... The 3-D's were issued one per box and they also had a mail in oppourtunity, where you could order the complete set.
I was eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes: Mourning, Noon & Night during that 1970 Season.
As my Mom would only buy another box once the current one was completely gone.
It got to the point where I was actually digging holes and burying the stuff in the back yard.
Kind of Pre John Wayne Gacy type stuff.
I can tell your examples were the mail in variety John, as you can tell buy the little .... for lack of a better term small "Chads" attachments still on the top of the cards.

I think quite possibly we might have also had a White Whale Siting.
I'll try and post up a scan here a little later once my camera battery charges up.

Funny Thing, as a kid Leroy Kelly was by far My favorite football player.
Man #44 from Morgan State.
The Ultimate Mudder, had the ability to run flat footed and still make his cuts.
Great Player there for a few years!

On a much more somber note, I became a Life Long Browns Fan in 1968.
Nuff said on that.

Samsdaddy
12-23-2013, 08:32 AM
My condolences to you Kirk on being a Browns fan. I can relate a little as back in the 1970s O.J. Simpson was my favorite player so the Buffalo Bills were my favorite team. Talk about mediocre...the Bills had two and a half good seasons the whole decade and could not for the life of them beat the Dolphins. Top all that off with the saga of O.J. after football.

My family grew up eating Kelloggs Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies. My parents never bought the good stuff. The good stuff being all cereals that had the word "sugar" in their title such as Sugar Frosted Flakes and Sugar Corn Pops. I had to sleep over at my neighbors house to enjoy the sugar laden cereals the next day and of course, I would have several bowls to make up for the lack sweet cereal at my house.

jefferyepayne
12-24-2013, 02:36 PM
On the 1970 Kellogg's Issues ....... The 3-D's were issued one per box and they also had a mail in oppourtunity, where you could order the complete set.
I was eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes: Mourning, Noon & Night during that 1970 Season.
As my Mom would only buy another box once the current one was completely gone.
It got to the point where I was actually digging holes and burying the stuff in the back yard.
Kind of Pre John Wayne Gacy type stuff.
I can tell your examples were the mail in variety John, as you can tell buy the little .... for lack of a better term small "Chads" attachments still on the top of the cards.

I think quite possibly we might have also had a White Whale Siting.
I'll try and post up a scan here a little later once my camera battery charges up.

Funny Thing, as a kid Leroy Kelly was by far My favorite football player.
Man #44 from Morgan State.
The Ultimate Mudder, had the ability to run flat footed and still make his cuts.
Great Player there for a few years!

On a much more somber note, I became a Life Long Browns Fan in 1968.
Nuff said on that.

+1

I spent the 70s eating/drinking my way toward a collection :)

Kelloggs, Hostess, Sugar Daddies, Squirt, etc.

jeff

ronmatpal
12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q740/rpalacz/24c9cb3d-976a-4617-b586-9382ef80ba29_zps94f964c3.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/rpalacz/media/24c9cb3d-976a-4617-b586-9382ef80ba29_zps94f964c3.jpg.html)

New to the forum...Need i say that the 1975 set is my favorite....Have bought vending boxes, packs, racks, and other collections. Love the color, and this set has about 70+ HOF player cards in it.

Samsdaddy
12-31-2013, 05:26 PM
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q740/rpalacz/24c9cb3d-976a-4617-b586-9382ef80ba29_zps94f964c3.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/rpalacz/media/24c9cb3d-976a-4617-b586-9382ef80ba29_zps94f964c3.jpg.html)

New to the forum...Need i say that the 1975 set is my favorite....Have bought vending boxes, packs, racks, and other collections. Love the color, and this set has about 70+ HOF player cards in it.

Welcome to the forum ronmatpal.

Ah, my favorite O.J. card. I was such an O.J. and Bills fan in the mid 70's. I even cried after they lost a game to the Jets in 1974 and my older sister made fun of me.

Jayworld
01-14-2014, 09:10 AM
One thing I liked about the 1977 football set are the Cleveland Browns (although I am not a Browns fan by any means). The majority of the Browns cards were in-action (Sipe, Pruett come to mind), and the orange pants and white face masks really set off the uniforms (still the best Browns look IMO). Also was the first depiction (in uniform) of the Buccaneers and Seahawks.

I remember we were always trading each other as kids for the Bucs and Seahawks cards, regardless of player, because they were the new teams, and everyone wanted the cards. I thought the Bucs orange and red uniforms were very cool at the time (although I wondered why no cards featured the orange jerseys - now I know why years later), and I still like them….

jefferyepayne
01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm a big fan of the 1971 set. I LOVE clean designs on cards ... no pennants, ribbons, sparkles, blinking lights, 3-d effects, etc. Just give me a nice solid color or two and I'm golden.

Most of my 1971 set is raw but here are a few odds and ends I've picked up through the years. I hope you like.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/csonka71topps.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/Greene71topps.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/starr71topps.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/sayers71topps.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersnr/jeffscards/70scards/websize/mackey71topps.jpg

jeff

jiw98
01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
My vote for favorite set of the 70's would have to be for either the 71 or 72 set. They could be in any order for me as best set.
I will add that finishing the 72 set was a lot of fun. The chase to find the cards to complete the 72 set was a blast. I had so much fun searching different shops around the country during my work travels. Met some really neat shop owners along the way also.

BigRedOne
01-20-2014, 12:23 PM
I have to admit that I too really like the 75 Topps Set and its design.
The set also features many now classic in action shots as well.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Sullivan_zps9af86ece.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Stanfill_zps449a1df3.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Osborn_zpsdc7c5ec7.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Mccuttheuon_zps3cd3b3ce.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Tarkenton_zps175f93e9.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Stabler_zps8697b8fa.jpg

But im going to have to go with the others on the 71 and 72 sets. Both hold a special creativity in design and color schemes that just was never repeated or attempted throughout the rest of the decade.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/01Unitas.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/125olsen.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/144lilly.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71sayers.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/156bradshaw.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71lamonica.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71namath.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71snead.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/11landry.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/13buchanan.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/31jordan.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/200Starr71.jpg

Rats and DOUBLE RATS!!! The absolute worst feature of this message board. It only allows you to post 18 pics per post.

Oh well, We'll have to look at some 72's later.

John

Samsdaddy
01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
John, I like when you break out the scanner and show some of your gems.

The funny thing about the Lawrence McCutcheon card is it looks like they are playing in an empty stadium from the picture on the card.

Also, I believe that is Joe Ferguson getting tackled by the Dolphins Bill Stanfill. Typical of the Dolphins 1970s domination of the Buffalo Bills. :(

K-Nole
01-20-2014, 02:45 PM
My vote goes to 1972.
By far the toughest set for me to build. The High#'s almost cost me a marriage:(

I love the "Pro Action" in the entire set, but the "All Pro" cards in the High #'s, with the All White Borders are just BEAUTIFUL!

jefferyepayne
01-20-2014, 05:18 PM
I have to admit that I too really like the 75 Topps Set and its design.
The set also features many now classic in action shots as well.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Sullivan_zps9af86ece.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Stanfill_zps449a1df3.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Osborn_zpsdc7c5ec7.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Mccuttheuon_zps3cd3b3ce.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Tarkenton_zps175f93e9.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/75Stabler_zps8697b8fa.jpg

But im going to have to go with the others on the 71 and 72 sets. Both hold a special creativity in design and color schemes that just was never repeated or attempted throughout the rest of the decade.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/01Unitas.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/125olsen.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/144lilly.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71sayers.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/156bradshaw.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71lamonica.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71namath.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/71snead.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/11landry.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/13buchanan.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/31jordan.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/bigredone1944/1971%20Topps%20Football/200Starr71.jpg

Rats and DOUBLE RATS!!! The absolute worst feature of this message board. It only allows you to post 18 pics per post.

Oh well, We'll have to look at some 72's later.

John

GREAT cards, John. Simply awesome!

jeff

Samsdaddy
12-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Nice article from Sports Collectors Daily that ties in with this thread on 1970's Topps Football.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1970-topps-football-debuted-airbrushed-era/

JTysver
01-06-2016, 02:25 PM
1975 was magical for me. I had very few football cards but my friend had a ton of these. I suppose I may have bought one or two packs of 1975s. The first set I really bought any significant amount of packs was from 1977.
Both of these have sentimental meaning to me, although I enjoy the 1975 set more. What I dislike most about the set is the hard to read numbers on the back.
If I were to rank them in order, I'd go like this...

If you want the nicest set of all, the Kelloggs sets were clearly nicer than anything Topps offered.

jefferyepayne
01-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks all for reviving this thread! To help people decide what they like, here is a scan of each year:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5N1jNKP4rJE/VlZ6e4StNlI/AAAAAAAACic/85M1Otq6oSs/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150711_0041.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OTTPgtxNU5Q/VlZ5-2_WAmI/AAAAAAAACeE/g_A3iKWDfgM/s512-Ic42/IMG_20140528_0002.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j96ui4ZBvSA/VlZ5rytNkxI/AAAAAAAACco/Z5U_u5Fw2RU/s640-Ic42/IMG_20140701_0004.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3KckhDtBchs/VlZ5O1_oAfI/AAAAAAAACYw/3WD6AHFC-YM/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0083.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DsKWRkXQp-U/VlZ5AV2mGbI/AAAAAAAACXM/f5PFUMW_Wtw/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0091.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mg5NLuhNQLA/VlZ4lpulTLI/AAAAAAAACSs/KqhAvCfitqI/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0122.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MlUerqbY_TY/VlZ4QIlKzqI/AAAAAAAACPg/ZriTBv1IM5A/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150306_0015.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NU0aJ5N46h0/VlZ37qfXh5I/AAAAAAAACMM/t7giUxYwS4o/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150306_0040.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ovhrPkH2p9Y/VlZ3dX4XiXI/AAAAAAAACHk/J9PoGnEkDJY/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0024.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-msz2xFjE4_E/VlZ3JV0ia4I/AAAAAAAACFM/2Y-AOtJAs1c/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0049.jpg

jeff

Kurri17
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Love this thread. I literally purchased my first packs in 1970 and last in 1979, I was truly a '70s kid. I must say, I love them all, and purchased untold numbers of packs, probably ending up with well over a thousand each year, one pack at a time. Kind of like picking my favorite child, but I would have to go with the '74 and '75 sets. I know most don't like the '74, but it just holds a special place for me.

Vintagevault13
01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
1975 gets my vote, but love the backs of the 76 set. Very easy to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

todddds
01-06-2016, 11:47 PM
New to the boards.
My favorite set is the '77.
I remember my friend telling me about these packages you could buy at the convenience store that had little pieces of cardboard in them with pictures of football players on them.
I went with him and when I opened my first pack with Roger staubach staring back at me, it was all over. Not too mention the smell of the gum. Intoxicating.
I also like the '76 set because of the football design on the front.
This thread is convincing me I need to get started on a '75 set pronto. It looks great.

jefferyepayne
01-07-2016, 03:58 AM
Thanks all for reviving this thread! I like'em all!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5N1jNKP4rJE/VlZ6e4StNlI/AAAAAAAACic/85M1Otq6oSs/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150711_0041.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OTTPgtxNU5Q/VlZ5-2_WAmI/AAAAAAAACeE/g_A3iKWDfgM/s512-Ic42/IMG_20140528_0002.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j96ui4ZBvSA/VlZ5rytNkxI/AAAAAAAACco/Z5U_u5Fw2RU/s640-Ic42/IMG_20140701_0004.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3KckhDtBchs/VlZ5O1_oAfI/AAAAAAAACYw/3WD6AHFC-YM/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0083.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DsKWRkXQp-U/VlZ5AV2mGbI/AAAAAAAACXM/f5PFUMW_Wtw/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0091.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mg5NLuhNQLA/VlZ4lpulTLI/AAAAAAAACSs/KqhAvCfitqI/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0122.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MlUerqbY_TY/VlZ4QIlKzqI/AAAAAAAACPg/ZriTBv1IM5A/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150306_0015.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NU0aJ5N46h0/VlZ37qfXh5I/AAAAAAAACMM/t7giUxYwS4o/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150306_0040.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ovhrPkH2p9Y/VlZ3dX4XiXI/AAAAAAAACHk/J9PoGnEkDJY/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0024.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-msz2xFjE4_E/VlZ3JV0ia4I/AAAAAAAACFM/2Y-AOtJAs1c/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150307_0049.jpg

jeff

Samsdaddy
01-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Jeff, thanks for doing a scan for each year.

Back at the start of this thread in 2014 I stated the '76 set was my personal favorite because it was the first year I started collecting football cards a lot.

But, the more I see cards from 1975, the more I like it as it has so many game action shots including my favorite O.J. card of his career.

The ONLY thing I did not like about 1970's Topps Football. No team logos which meant lots of air brushing. :mad:

LuckyLarry
01-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave":)
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/IMG_3037.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/IMG_3037.jpg.html)

Samsdaddy
01-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Very nice Larry.

jefferyepayne
01-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Sorry for the double post. I got an error on the first one and didn't think it worked.

Let's not forget the oddball stuff! Maybe someone prefers one of these:

1970 Carleson-Frink Dairy
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m24jTPW3jFg/VlZ_x2uiX8I/AAAAAAAADTo/iSYAPT_hQl4/s512-Ic42/saban-carlson-frink.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Fnoak0GIxdc/VlZ_udQYhlI/AAAAAAAADSo/0tTK27GZ8Ko/s512-Ic42/IMG_20140625_0001.jpg

1971 Bazooka
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D0UR4oFswng/VlaApisASOI/AAAAAAAADdI/a34j3bfmLk0/s720-Ic42/scan0032.jpg

1970s Lil Caesars
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EU5VtUxV1PA/VlZ6vHfB66I/AAAAAAAACj0/jDY9ern0-Yg/s512-Ic42/IMG_20141117_0001.tif.jpg

1975 McDonald's QBs
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TT_Jtnug9Z0/VlZ6mCH6yZI/AAAAAAAACjY/MkifmaqeTG4/s512-Ic42/IMG_20150801_0003.jpg

jeff

Kurri17
01-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave":)
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/IMG_3037.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/IMG_3037.jpg.html)

To me, that's a major score. Love the oddball stuff like that, and to get them slabbed to boot, oh man, wish I could run across a deal like that.

Samsdaddy
01-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Spotlight on the 1975 Topps set right here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1975-topps-football-rookies-bumper-crop/

Topps206
01-14-2016, 09:22 AM
1970 is my favorite of not just the decade, but of all time.

sockwell123
01-15-2016, 02:22 AM
I like them in order of year tho 71 then 70, 72, 73 etc.

Samsdaddy
01-21-2016, 12:07 PM
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1973-topps-football-started-new-era/

PowderedH2O
01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Hmmm... It says "with 528 cards, it more than doubled the 1972 product"... The 72 set has 351 cards. Is my math off?

jefferyepayne
01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Hmmm... It says "with 528 cards, it more than doubled the 1972 product"... The 72 set has 351 cards. Is my math off?

My bet is they forgot about the high numbers in '72.

jeff

Samsdaddy
07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
One of my favorite sets from 70s profiled at Sports Collectors Daily.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1976-topps-football-more-valuable-with-age/