PDA

View Full Version : How to Protect Your Photos?

GoCubsGo32
11-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Hello,

I'm still fairly new to the vintage photograph hobby. I have about 50 smaller size snapshots. I'm trying to find a safe way to protect them for years to come and was wondering what is the best way. I've seen some terrible stories with photos sticking to glass and such. Any advise would be great. Hoping there's a photo album book that won't ruin the photos over the years.

Thanks!
-Gary

drcy
11-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Old photos, say cabinet cards and pre war news photos, are usually dried out and are less likely to stick to anything anymore. Photos sticking in album pages and to glass were usually either modern or put in the albums or glass when they were still new. If you stack them, stack them back to face. Even with modern photos, if you stack them back to front they will only rarely stick. It was the gelatin film on the fronts that was sticky and moist, and it usually dries out with time. Old cabinet cards are usually bone dry.

JoeyF1981
11-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Hello,

I'm still fairly new to the vintage photograph hobby. I have about 50 smaller size snapshots. I'm trying to find a safe way to protect them for years to come and was wondering what is the best way. I've seen some terrible stories with photos sticking to glass and such. Any advise would be great. Hoping there's a photo album book that won't ruin the photos over the years.

Thanks!
-Gary

You can get any photo album but make sure it says acid free. Acid can eat away after awhile of storing. I went to a craft store and bought a couple acid free page photo albums and thats how I store mine.