PDA

View Full Version : Grading services

Snowbaron
11-11-2013, 07:45 PM
I collect t206s and Cant understand why global authority or beckett dont seem to command the prices of cards in sgc or psa holders. Buy the card not the holder correct? Any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Cardboard Junkie
11-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Global is/was inaccurate in their grading. (Not sure they are still in biz)

Beckett is improving.

PSA is circling the drain. (They have shot themselves in the foot, but many collectors are in too deep with psa) They operate their forum like tyrants, and won't address important issues.

SGC makes mistakes too, but at this point in time I think they are the best.(I just don't like sgc holders)

All of this is jmho of course. Dave.

Fred
11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
GAI provided numerical grades to trimmed cards. I'm sure PSA and SGC have done this but I'm guessing not nearly as much as GAI.

PSA has the largest registry and they've got a lot of collectors hooked on trying to build the highest graded set. I think people in vintage gravitate more towards SGC because there's less drama from them and they have a good reputation for having great customer service.

Beckett is fine but not nearly as known or popular as SGC or PSA. Personally, I liked SCD graded cards and I'll be happy to buy them at a discount because they were pretty decent at grading.

sbfinley
11-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Each TPG has hollowed out their own niche within the hobby through which their slabs carry the highest premium.
SGC - Pre-War especially T & E types.
PSA - 50's-60's-70's-and early 80's. Set registry.
BGS - Modern, especially Chrome issues.
GAI - Trimmed cards and resealed packs.
KSA/CSA - Fake Garbage. I haven't a clue who these clowns are.

*I have purchased a handful of Verisleeve cards and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

brewing
11-12-2013, 02:17 PM
IMO
Beckett doesn't command prices in pre war because pre war collectors typically are seasoned collectors and know that Beckett is gracious with their vintage grading.

KSA is a legit Canadian company. Good in hockey BVG like in baseball.

CSA with the blue insert w/o a detailed flip is adequate. Everything else is rubbish.

SCD with red flip is good, blue flip is worthless.

SGC is great with a crappy registry.

PSA is all about $$$$. Profit margin rules, and VIP customers get preferential service (grades). Awesome registry with inconsistent grading.

GAI for post war isn't that bad. A notch above Beckett.

bnorth
11-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Each TPG has hollowed out their own niche within the hobby through which their slabs carry the highest premium.

*I have purchased a handful of Verisleeve cards and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Spot on descriptions for SGC, PSA, and BGS. GAI is now known as Global Authority and besides grading trimmed cards and resealed packs they also grade counterfeit cards, homemade Christmas packs, altered cards, return trimmed/counterfeit/altered cards graded while keeping your cards or just plain steal your cards and never return an email. Stay away far away and never buy anything in there garbage holders. Check them out with the BBB they are a joke. I am Ben North and I approve that description of those scum bags.:D

MW1
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Spot on descriptions for SGC, PSA, and BGS. GAI is now known as Global Authority and besides grading trimmed cards and resealed packs they also grade counterfeit cards, homemade Christmas packs, altered cards, return trimmed/counterfeit/altered cards graded while keeping your cards or just plain steal your cards and never return an email. Stay away far away and never buy anything in there garbage holders. Check them out with the BBB they are a joke. I am Ben North and I approve that description of those scum bags.:D

http://iowa.bbb.org/article/Card-Grading-Company-in-Bettendorf-Leaves-Sports-Fans-Empty-Handed-36474

MW1
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM

midwaylandscaping
11-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I prefer SGC
I do buy PSA. I do not sub to PSA. For me it's not cost efficient.
BVG is not as tight on grading vintage as SGC or PSA I don't think.
BGS is really good on modern, in my opinion.(also will grade modern sheet cuts)
GAI no clue.
CSA no clue.
ISA no clue
GMA no clue.
KSA for hockey, if you don't mind sheet cut, they do pretty well on the hockey grading. In my case I wanted, just for the heck of it, a Scott Stevens KSA 10 RC. Knowing full well it was most likely sheet cut, but also knowing it was for my personal collection only. I knew going in. So no disappointment.

Snowbaron
11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks all.

auggiedoggy
11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
IMO
Beckett doesn't command prices in pre war because pre war collectors typically are seasoned collectors and know that Beckett is gracious with their vintage grading.

KSA is a legit Canadian company. Good in hockey BVG like in baseball.

Actually, I'd take PSA or SGC over KSA any day, even for hockey. KSA usually overgrades.

Leon
11-16-2013, 11:25 AM

I would go with this but most importantly buy the card and not the slab.

chipperhank44
11-16-2013, 07:39 PM
I collect t206s and Cant understand why global authority or beckett dont seem to command the prices of cards in sgc or psa holders. Buy the card not the holder correct? Any thoughts.

My 2 Cents:

If you are buying the card and not the holder, BVG is your best bet. Their holders protect your card far better than others in the industry.

Resale value complicates things, so I prefer to ignore it and focus on protecting the cards themselves.

Tao_Moko
11-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Correct! Multiplying value based on numerical grade with the current processes will prove to be a bad financial decision if you buy as an investment. The tpg's are riddled with inconsistencies and are reliant upon what I consider a weak measuring system. Technology will catch up and improve upon the current issue of tpg's failing to decrease human grading variables so be patient and wait to pay those multipliers until the industry evolves. "Authentic" or not, or "Altered" or not is all that the existing tpg's can somewhat reliably do with any consistency. I don't understand what philosophy exists that justifies the premiums paid with such a flawed system. Everyday this forum is full of grading complaints. I hardly even visit the site anymore because it's too much complaining about flips, frauds and grading opinions.