PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle Willie Mays Duke Snider Signed Picture - Help!

Mchu0925
11-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi! I'm new to this forum, a friend of mine said this would be the best place to come to for help.

I am an art collector, and came across an estate sale this weekend with pieces of art fetching over $10k. In one room there was a ton of baseball memorabilia and unfortunately this is not my area of knowledge so I just picked up the pieces related to the Yankees picked with Steiner COA/LOA taped to the back of the frame (jeter, babe ruth, mickey mantle, a-rod clemens) and this piece in question Mickey Mantle Willie Mays Duke Snider signed photo.

This one the owner claimed there was a COA/LOA that was taped to the back of the frame originally but we were unable to find it in the vicinity of the area this piece was stored. I did see the yellowed out tape residues on the back of the frame justifying his claim there was a COA/LOA attached but it fell off and went missing at some time. He said the photo he paid about $500 from a reputable dealer in NJ
What do you guys think? If its real, where should i send this to, to get a COA/LOA?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/10800119725_be81831847_h.jpg

Here's a full sized shot http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/10800119725_d8233b7f0f_o.jpg

Big Dave
11-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Not authentic.

Mr. Zipper
11-11-2013, 10:07 AM
He said the photo he paid about $500 from a reputable dealer in NJ...

Most likely B&J Collectibles out of New Jersey. They sold a ton of these Operation Bullpen fakes. Sorry.

Fuddjcal
11-11-2013, 10:19 AM
"Hi! I'm new to this forum, a friend of mine said this would be the best place to come to for help.

I am an art collector, and came across an estate sale this weekend with pieces of art fetching over $10k. In one room there was a ton of baseball memorabilia and unfortunately this is not my area of knowledge so I just picked up the pieces related to the Yankees picked with Steiner COA/LOA taped to the back of the frame (jeter, babe ruth, mickey mantle, a-rod clemens) and this piece in question Mickey Mantle Willie Mays Duke Snider signed photo.

This one the owner claimed there was a COA/LOA that was taped to the back of the frame originally but we were unable to find it in the vicinity of the area this piece was stored. I did see the yellowed out tape residues on the back of the frame justifying his claim there was a COA/LOA attached but it fell off and went missing at some time. He said the photo he paid about $500 from a reputable dealer in NJ
What do you guys think? If its real, where should i send this to, to get a COA/LOA?

Thanks in advance!
Michael"

typical horrible easy to spot forgery with a typical BS story.
The highlights are...
1)"and came across an estate sale"
2)"the owner claimed there was a COA/LOA that was taped to the back of the frame originally but we were unable to find it"
3)"the photo he paid about $500 from a reputable dealer in NJ"

With those 3 things in your description, one could be 90% sure it's a fake WITHOUT even looking. One look at this piece, with the story line and you have a 100% FORGERY FAKE PERIOD. I would not by their FAKE ART either.

Mchu0925
11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Well the Artwork was 100% legit, reps from sothebys were there to host the sale, which is why i went to begin with.

I took a gamble with this one, because the other 11 pieces i purchased were all from steiner with the holo on the picture with COA in the back.

Thanks for the valuable insight on this piece, it came with a fancy frame, triple matted with words cut out in it so i guess i'll just take the photo out and use the frame for something else

Big Dave
11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Good luck in the future if you decide to aquire more autographs.