PDA

View Full Version : Off Center/Miscut Valuation

Texas Ted
11-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Centering can be a huge issue for some collectors, but others don't mind centering issues if the price is right. As buyers or sellers and assuming centering is not that big of a deal, what kind of discount % to high book value would be appropriate. In other words, if you buy or sell NM (raw) cards for high book, how much would you discount that same NM card if centering was poor?

vintagetoppsguy
11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Centering can be a huge issue for some collectors, but others don't mind centering issues if the price is right. As buyers or sellers and assuming centering is not that big of a deal, what kind of discount % to high book value would be appropriate. In other words, if you buy or sell NM (raw) cards for high book, how much would you discount that same NM card if centering was poor?

I usually try to buy or sell NM cards (commons) for 60-70% of high book value. I would say if the centering is poor, then I would buy or sell at 30-40% of high book value.

Brianruns10
11-11-2013, 08:47 AM
For some years, I see something of an inverse effect. I specialize in '52 Topps and at least as far as the PSA price guide is concerned, those prices tend to reflect specimens of average centering.

But a nice centered examples will fetch a hefty premium OVER list value. The high numbers especially. I've observed well centered high numbers fetch anywhere from 50% to close to a 100% over book value. I just recently bought the 395 Jake Pitler, which would be considered a "common" high number, not especially desired as a coach or player, but he came perfectly centered, so the bidding went well over the book value of $210, to where I wound up paying close to $400 including the buyer's premium for Heritage auctions. But it was worth it, because it was one of the few centered examples I've seen.

Honestly, I think it would be well worth it for PSA to have a centered qualification. I mean, unlike more subjective grading methods like corner sharpness or eye appeal, centering is absolutely. Just measure the four borders and go from there.

I think this would dramatically enhance how we assess populations of any card. I mean, it is one thing if there are, say, 20 examples graded PSA 8...how many of those, I'd like to know, are centered?

bnorth
11-11-2013, 10:46 AM

It really depends on the type of cards that are collected. My main interest is error cards and I have bought/sold a lot of 05/95 and hopefully even more off center cards with part of another card showing at huge premiums.

This is my favorite off center Mantle a 1961 Topps stamp.