PDA

View Full Version : Who dunnit???

savedfrommyspokes
11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Figure out who owns the finger (thumb) print on this 72 584 Jerry McNerney card and we would have the answer to the above question. There appears to be at least three versions of this card, one with a "full finger(thumb) print" around Jerry's bat, a second with a "partial print" (likely Topps first attempt to remove the original finger print), and finally the non-finger(thumb) print version. There appears to be much fewer of the first two "finger print" versions and many more of the finger print free cards. Has anyone else noticed this or other versions of this card?

bnorth
11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I noticed on the backs there is what also looks to be a fingerprint. It centers between the AND MINOR on the cards with the fingerprint on the front.

My pic sucks it is much easier to se in hand.

savedfrommyspokes
11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi Ben,
Does you copy with the finger print on the back have the finger print on the front also? My only copy (with the full finger print on the front) does not have a fingerprint on the back. However, on COMC, there is a copy with the full finger print on the front and the finger print on the back. There is another with the partial print on the front and the print on the back.

bnorth
11-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Ben,
Does you copy with the finger print on the back have the finger print on the front also? My only copy (with the full finger print on the front) does not have a fingerprint on the back. However, on COMC, there is a copy with the full finger print on the front and the finger print on the back. There is another with the partial print on the front and the print on the back.

The one I have has the full print on the front. I see the partial print on COMC but no full print.

savedfrommyspokes
11-08-2013, 07:50 PM
The one I have has the full print on the front. I see the partial print on COMC but no full print.
How ironic, the full print on front copy on COMC (the most expensive copy) sold in the last few hours. There is still a copy with a print on the front and back available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-Baseball-584-Jerry-McNertney-St-Louis-Cardinals-/300851945255?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item460c2c5f27

bnorth
11-08-2013, 08:02 PM
How ironic, the full print on front copy on COMC (the most expensive copy) sold in the last few hours. There is still a copy with a print on the front and back available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-Baseball-584-Jerry-McNertney-St-Louis-Cardinals-/300851945255?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item460c2c5f27

A friend has this cool fingerprint 61 Willie McCovey. I have been thinking about trading him out of it. He has had it on ebay for a while with no takers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-517-Willie-McCovey-Super-Rare-Error-Card-/261316615071?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cd7af1b9f#ht_63wt_1219

Volod
11-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Any members happen to be government agents? We could run it through the FBI print database and find the culprit a.s.a.p..:rolleyes:

savedfrommyspokes
11-09-2013, 09:47 AM
A friend has this cool fingerprint 61 Willie McCovey. I have been thinking about trading him out of it. He has had it on ebay for a while with no takers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-517-Willie-McCovey-Super-Rare-Error-Card-/261316615071?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cd7af1b9f#ht_63wt_1219

That is a neat card Ben....have you seen or know of other examples of it, or is it a 1/1? The 61 McCovey would look nice next to your 61 Dalrymple.

savedfrommyspokes
11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Any members happen to be government agents? We could run it through the FBI print database and find the culprit a.s.a.p..:rolleyes:

My vote is for the prints on both the 61 McCovey and the 72 McNertney belonging to Sy Berger and happened when he was on a quality control inspection.

GoldenAge50s
11-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Had never heard of this before so I cked. I have 2 McNertney's--1 has the partial, (clearly evident by his bat & hat) and the other I would call a "no-print".

It doesn't look like either of them have anything on the reverse.

savedfrommyspokes
11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Had never heard of this before so I cked. I have 2 McNertney's--1 has the partial, (clearly evident by his bat & hat) and the other I would call a "no-print".

It doesn't look like either of them have anything on the reverse.

Fred, that is interesting with your copies of this card not having the print on the back(mine does not either).... it seems that there is not a clear pattern between either having or not having the finger print (or partial print) on the front and then having or not having the finger print on the back.

Could mean that there are six unique versions of this card.

bnorth
11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
That is a neat card Ben....have you seen or know of other examples of it, or is it a 1/1? The 61 McCovey would look nice next to your 61 Dalrymple.

It is the only McCovey I have seen and I looked at a ton of 61 McCovey cards for another one like it. Got lucky a few days ago and picked up a card I know he wants.