PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice - 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie #106

dmking
11-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi Folks,

I joined the forum hoping to get some advice, etc. I have an opportunity to acquire a Nap Lajoie #106 from one of my dealers.

The Nap Lajoie has been graded a 4. This grading was done by a company called North American Sports Authentication which is now out of business. I have checked the card and it woud be graded significantly higher but it has some stickyness on the back (Corners are great, etc)

My concerns are

#1 the certification - the company is not in business, and it was a company that focused more on hockey.
#2 the Goudey series prices have stayed flat for a long period of time and am unsure about the upside
#3 I have never seen the change in prices over time and am unsure if the card values are acutually realized based on book.
#4 I have seen significant differences in the value of a graded 4 Nap Lajoie between websites (i.e.- 14k, 19k) --> am unsure what the actual value is

Your help and opinion would be appreciated

conor912
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi Folks,

I joined the forum hoping to get some advice, etc. I have an opportunity to acquire a Nap Lajoie #106 from one of my dealers.

The Nap Lajoie has been graded a 4. This grading was done by a company called North American Sports Authentication which is now out of business. I have checked the card and it woud be graded significantly higher but it has some stickyness on the back (Corners are great, etc)

My concerns are

#1 the certification - the company is not in business, and it was a company that focused more on hockey.
#2 the Goudey series prices have stayed flat for a long period of time and am unsure about the upside
#3 I have never seen the change in prices over time and am unsure if the card values are acutually realized based on book.
#4 I have seen significant differences in the value of a graded 4 Nap Lajoie between websites (i.e.- 14k, 19k) --> am unsure what the actual value is

Your help and opinion would be appreciated

Before you even talk dollars with this guy, you need to sort out the grading situation. If I were you, I wouldnt shell out one dollar for it until psa or sgc looks at it. Tell the dealer to send it to one of them. He should understand completely. If he pushes back, that is where you exit stage left.

ctownboy
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Hello,

I am far from an expert but here are some general thoughts/ideas from when previous situations like this have come up on this board;

1) A scan or clear picture of the card in question would help.

2) If the dealer is reputable and knows about PSA or SGC then why haven't they sent the card in to be regraded and entombed?

3) Doing research on the web is EASY these days so if the dealer doesn't know about grading or this Lajoie card then WHY don't they know? Too old? Too lazy? Or is it because they know this card is a fake?

David

Ease
11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Your first concern is a good one. I am always wary of high dollar cards in a non-PSA/SGC/Beckett slab. That's enough to turn me off right there. Welcome to the board.

bigtrain
11-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I was looking at a PSA 4 in an REA auction 3 or 4 years ago and it went for $23,500.00. I thought that was too high but in the last couple of years REA has gotten around $22,000 for PSA Authentics without a number grade. I am thinking I should have popped for the 4 when I had the chance.

packs
11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I have a Fatima T200 in my collection that was graded by NASA. It crossed over as Authentic. I didn't know it was trimmed until I crossed it though. But the card was good.

g_vezina_c55
11-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome

1- NEVER buy a card like that is the card is not in a PSA or SGC Holder.
2- The value of a graded 4 Lajoie is probably arround 21-25

Sean
11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Before you even talk dollars with this guy, you need to sort out the grading situation. If I were you, I wouldnt shell out one dollar for it until psa or sgc looks at it. Tell the dealer to send it to one of them. He should understand completely. If he pushes back, that is where you exit stage left.

+1
A high dollar card like that should be sent to PSA, SGC, or Beckett. If the dealer refuses, pass on the card.

brianp-beme
11-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Wasn't NASA one of those grading companies that graded cut-out pictures from magazines/schedules, etc...?

Brian

Griffins
11-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Brian- it was. There were lots of threads about Nasa and Roy Huff on the old board. Some were pretty funny.
Definitely not a legit company, it seemed to be set up just to grade cutouts.
I wouldn't touch this one until it was crossed to PSA or SGC, if it even can be.

dmking
11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
thanks guys thats helpful - I am going to get some pictures today.

I have let the dealer know about NASA and the opinion of the company.

Dave

CaramelMan
11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
i would say its a fake....

stay away....

noway would anyone send that valuable card to low end TPA....

RUN AWAY while you can!

if real, it would have been crossed YEARS AGO

g_vezina_c55
11-08-2013, 01:29 PM
i would say its a fake....

Noway would anyone send that valuable card to low end tpa....

If real, it would have been crossed years ago

dmking
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
More information - there was a huge auction about 9 yrs ago in Texas. He purchased the card along with many other Goudey cards at this auction.

From my understanding the bar had a ton of cards - I believe an Honus Wagner as well. I have attached pictures.

dmking
11-08-2013, 04:16 PM
As you can see from the pics above - they were taped to a bar. These were two examples

Bestdj777
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
The color looks off. I wouldn't touch this. And the holder looks really sketchy.

ullmandds
11-08-2013, 04:26 PM
the lajoie is totally fake.

T206Collector
11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I knew it was fake before you even posted it.

As has been said on here a million times, if your first foray into pre-war cards is a Wagner, Plank or Lajoie at a price that seems too good to be true, you ought to spend some time with a few $10 commons to understand what the real ones look like.

buymycards
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
No question about it - fake. My guess is the black spot on the back covers the work "reprint".

Tcards-Please
11-08-2013, 04:42 PM
No question about it - fake. My guess is the black spot on the back covers the work "reprint".

Exactly.

dmking
11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
well he did say that I can have someone come over and take a look at it. It might be fake but you never know :)

Are there any good legitimate grading companies in Toronto?

Bestdj777
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
well he did say that I can have someone come over and take a look at it. It might be fake but you never know :)

If everyone that just weighed in told you it was fake, you now know.

Paul S
11-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Yes, Molson has an on call grader who specializes in cards taped to a bar top
;)

dmking
11-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Molson is a good beer :)

But seriously - if I want to buy other cards, are there any graders in Toronto that are good. Everyone seems like they are in the states

Sean
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I knew it was fake before you even posted it.

As has been said on here a million times, if your first foray into pre-war cards is a Wagner, Plank or Lajoie at a price that seems too good to be true, you ought to spend some time with a few $10 commons to understand what the real ones look like.

Yeah, just ask the guy who paid $14,000 for a fake Plank on ebay last week.

Ladder7
11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, just ask the guy who paid $14,000 for a fake Plank on ebay last week.

He didn't pay a nickel

g_vezina_c55
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
100% fake

bobbyw8469
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM
FAKE!!!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alexander+oneal+fake+video&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=56ED76A97F813A15CEA156ED76A97F813A15CEA1

DoubleJ
11-08-2013, 07:54 PM

If you really aren't convinced by this forum, if you can get the card to the Toronto Sports Card Expo this weekend (http://www.sportcardexpo.com/), the grading company KSA should be there (http://www.ksagrading.ca/). There would also obviously be a number of dealers that would look at it.

Josh