PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jackson Ad Piece

TUM301
11-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Hey guys now that`s it`s over would like to have any insight or info on this standing ad piece that just finished on EBAY. Followed it all week and it had zero bids until last 5 minutes. Never seen anything like it before, thanx for input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310783245724&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160

ruth-gehrig
11-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Yeah I started a forum on the memorabilia side asking if anyone on the board got it. Yes I placed a bid but unfortunately didn't get it. I think it was a good buy for the money. REA had a set some years back although the Jackson was in need or restoration much like this one.

GasHouseGang
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Is this real? I don't collect this type of item, but it just strikes me as a fantasy piece or reprint.

TUM301
11-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey Mike, ya sorry didn`t notice the thread on the mem. side. I did find the old REA auction for a set of 5 or so and the Jackson did need the most restoration. Emailed the seller and he pretty much retold the auction writeup, and the resto shop in Seattle looks like a reputable chain. The main thing that concerned me was the infamous "flea market find" and that it reminded me of those Lou Gehrig Glove adv. that are so often faked. Anyway, if it is real a 16 by 10 standing Joe Jackson ad. that seems this scarce would be a great item for any collector but especially J Jax guys. Also if real. does the resto hurt the value a great deal?

JamesGallo
11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I think that went super cheap even with all the work. You really can't touch anything jackson for $500 so whoever got it got a great deal. I think it would have done better in cards rather then signs, but it was listed correctly otherwise so unless it is a fake I am not sure why it went so cheap. That being said I don't think I have ever heard of anyone faking these....

James G

Leon
11-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I am always a bit skeptical of these type things. That being said if it's real it's a neat piece that might be able to benefit from some (more)restoration.

the 'stache
11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
That's a really great piece.

Shoeless Moe
11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
The restoration cost $250.

Leon - are u saying further restoration could/should be done?

Leon
11-09-2013, 10:29 PM
The restoration cost $250.

Leon - are u saying further restoration could/should be done?

If it were mine I would consider more restoration. I have never had it done but if I collected pieces like that I probably would. However, I can't imagine that a really good restoration on the front of the item would only be $250? I am sure I would have to see it in person to make a final determination.

JamesGallo
11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Most good restoration places will be 75-125 a hour. Depending on how much color touch and piece replacement is needed that rate would be adjusted. Volor touch and fine detailed work is what will cost the most.

James G

baseballart
11-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Leon

I understand the post that the back restoration was $250. From my experience, a front restoration would be into four figures.

Bugsy
11-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Leon

I understand the post that the back restoration was $250. From my experience, a front restoration would be into four figures.

+1.

The restoration price seemed extremely cheap, although corners could have been cut. Let's just say, the best method isn't the cheapest. That thing was a beater to begin with, but if the wrong person works on it, they certainly can ruin it.

Shoeless Moe
11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Very true. I have it in hand now, hoping it is real.

I'll be taking it to the Chicago Sports Show next week to visit the auction houses, anyone else want to take a peek at it then let me know.

Or if anyone has a blacklight bring it with and we can test it.

Sure looks great in person, and the treatment by the Restoration Co. while not the best does confirm its age, so possession arrow pointing toward the real deal.....unless they were wrong. But again they are Better Business Bureau accredited so you'd think they know what they are talking about.

Leon
11-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Very true. I have it in hand now, hoping it is real.

I'll be taking it to the Chicago Sports Show next week to visit the auction houses, anyone else want to take a peek at it then let me know.

Or if anyone has a blacklight bring it with and we can test it.

Sure looks great in person, and the treatment by the Restoration Co. while not the best does confirm its age, so possession arrow pointing toward the real deal.....unless they were wrong. But again they are Better Business Bureau accredited so you'd think they know what they are talking about.

After looking at it again I think you will be fine on it (and hoping so). We are rooting for you....great display piece!!