PDA

View Full Version : Ed Roush bat question

Runscott
11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Trying to date this bat prior to offering for sale. I found one with a different signature/trademark position that was dated 1921-30, so my guess is that this one is 19xx-1921. The bat has been restored - darker than original.

Thoughts? Thanks.

MGHPro
11-05-2013, 07:18 PM
That signature did appear in the 20's. Without being able to see under H&B- its hard to date for sure, but my guess is, its from the 20's
Matt

Mark
11-05-2013, 09:31 PM
It would help to have a good photo of the bottom half of the label.

Runscott
11-06-2013, 08:40 AM
There is almost nothing left of the bottom of the label, but I'll take another pic.

drcy
11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not a bat expert, but have seen bats with the exact same stamping described as, alternately, 1920 and 1919-21 by different web sites. I already told this to Scott, but thought I'd post it on record to publicly back up Scott's dating. There is a 1921-1930 store model Rousch bat with similar branding but sigh the added text below the brand on the barrel that about it being registered with the US Patent Office. There was one of those in a MEARS auction, so I assume that dating is accurate.

Runscott
11-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks David.

If your numbers were off by much, I would already have ebayers all over me.

(Anyone else think it's ironic that spellcheck changes 'ebayers' to 'obeyers'?)

drcy
11-06-2013, 10:16 AM
At the very least I proved to the hyper critics that there was good faith effort.

Future eBay message to Scott: "1919-21?!?!? You are filth! You are pond scum! Everyone knows it's 1919-22!"

Runscott
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I generally sell decent stuff, even if it's outside of my area of expertise. Any time I roam too far from baseball I am always certain to get spiteful (but entertaining) ebay messages. The most surprising were from angry violin experts who didn't like the angles of my photographs or the areas I had chosen to measure - Really sarcastic 'up on a pedestal' type stuff. Same thing for pool cues - people would get very angry when I wouldn't give microscopic measurements for odd areas of a $20 pool cue. But the book nuts are the worst - the best was: "Don't they make boxes in Georgia?"

The violin emails were so baffling that I decided to keep it and learn how to play the violin - thanks nutty ebayers.

drcy
11-06-2013, 05:23 PM
If I recall correctly, your response to the violin critic was "If you don't like the angle of my photos, you're probably not going to like the angle of my boot up your ass either. Give me the address to your mother's basement and I'll meet you at your home."

I usually respond to rude ebayers by saying "You obviously don't know what I do for a living" and let them nervously ponder whether I might work for IRS or Mossad.