PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Another honest Auction House! Goldin Auctions

danmckee
11-02-2013, 08:45 AM
At least with cheap stuff! I am old and can't stay up any more to feel the ruxh of an auction. There are some I absolutely refuse to leave a ceiling bid with such as Memory Lane. There are others I would not hesitate to like Scott and Leon's which I have left several ceilings and only had 1 reached.

Well I thought twice about it and left a $900+ ceiling with Goldin last night and I was winning the lot at about $300. I woke up and I won the lot for what it was when I went to bed.

WOW! Kudos to an honest auction! Thanks Goldin!

Dan Mckee

Leon
11-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Ken and team run a very good auction. I am not sure there is an auction house trying any harder than they are to do good business. Unfortunately there really wasn't anything for me last night, as I am only looking for a few very esoteric things right now, but I wouldn't hesitate leaving an up to bid with them.

drcy
11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Being dishonest can be good for short term profit, but being honest is good for longterm business. Even if you are naturally a weasel (I use 'you' in the general sense), it's good auction house practice these days to be honest. As someone said to me about an eBay seller, "He's only being honest now because he thinks there's profit in it."

I've read positive comments about Goldin Auctions, about how the do their homework and address questions.

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 09:39 AM
At least with cheap stuff! I am old and can't stay up any more to feel the ruxh of an auction. There are some I absolutely refuse to leave a ceiling bid with such as Memory Lane. There are others I would not hesitate to like Scott and Leon's which I have left several ceilings and only had 1 reached.

Well I thought twice about it and left a $900+ ceiling with Golden last night and I was winning the lot at about $300. I woke up and I won the lot for what it was when I went to bed.

WOW! Kudos to an honest auction! Thanks Golden!

Dan Mckee

That's all fine an dandy.. great to hear!
HOWEVER.. why mention Memory Lane at all here?
Really??? HAHA From what I understand, Memory Lane has honest bid where they cannot even see ceiling bids within their software.
I could name a couple auction houses that I would be worried about(no honest bid) and Memory lane is not one of them. Glad you feel Goldin Auction is one of the good guys by your one purchase. I also have purchased one item from them and feel good about it.

ullmandds
11-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Not that I give 2 shits about this discussion...but it's GOLDIN auctions.

whiteymet
11-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi All:

I had a different experience than Dan. It may be my fault, not sure.

I was high bidder on an item at 1 AM. I was ready for bed and thought I would just up my bid one increment before I went to bed. I did so and for some reason I was STILL the high bidder but at $25 MORE!

What did I do wrong? I won the item but I should have it at the lower bid in my eyes. There was no reserve that I am aware of.

Is there a different way to leave a ceiling bid? I recall now seeing two different places to put your bid, but being 1 AM and already drowsy I clicked on the upper box.

Did I blow it or did the GA software?

Fred

bobbyw8469
11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
There is usually two different ways to bid. One way increases just your max bid, the second way moves your bid up to whatever number you state. Sounds like you accidentally did the latter.

Deertick
11-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi All:

I had a different experience than Dan. It may be my fault, not sure.

I was high bidder on an item at 1 AM. I was ready for bed and thought I would just up my bid one increment before I went to bed. I did so and for some reason I was STILL the high bidder but at $25 MORE!

What did I do wrong? I won the item but I should have it at the lower bid in my eyes. There was no reserve that I am aware of.

Is there a different way to leave a ceiling bid? I recall now seeing two different places to put your bid, but being 1 AM and already drowsy I clicked on the upper box.

Did I blow it or did the GA software?

Fred

Sounds like you placed a "straight" bid as opposed to a "max" bid. I've screwed that up several times in the past! :o

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Sounds like you placed a "straight" bid as opposed to a "max" bid. I've screwed that up several times in the past! :o

Agreed..I have done it by mistake as well.

whiteymet
11-02-2013, 10:02 AM

Yeah, probably!!

Bob Freedman who runs GA software has contacted me. I am sure he can help me out and rectify the situation.

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah, probably!!

Bob Freedman who runs GA software has contacted me. I am sure he can help me out and rectify the situation.

Oh I am sure he can.

kengoldin
11-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi whiteymet and that you for bidding.
There are two buttons with bids. Top one is " straight bid" bottom is " max bid"
This is standard for all auctions running on simple auction software , which is the majority I think.
It looks like you hit "straight bid" twice instead of max bid from your story

Email me your first and last name at ken@goldinauctions.com
I will do something for you to correct your mis click without hurting the consignor or effecting " sold price" so no one gets negatively impacted.
Thank you for participating!
Ken goldin

Runscott
11-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Same here :( I still haven't gotten used to some auction house software, where I've gone to bed thinking I had placed a ceiling bid, but it only took the straight bid part of my entry. If the software was written a little better, everyone would be making more 'honest' money.

gnaz01
11-02-2013, 11:58 AM
There are two buttons with bids. Top one is " straight bid" bottom is " max bid"
This is standard for all auctions running on simple auction software , which is the majority I think.

I will do something for you to correct your mis click without hurting the consignor or effecting " sold price" so no one gets negatively impacted.
Ken goldin

If THAT'S not service, I don't know what is!

calvindog
11-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Lololololol

danmckee
11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
That's all fine an dandy.. great to hear!
HOWEVER.. why mention Memory Lane at all here?
Really??? HAHA From what I understand, Memory Lane has honest bid where they cannot even see ceiling bids within their software.
I could name a couple auction houses that I would be worried about(no honest bid) and Memory lane is not one of them. Glad you feel Goldin Auction is one of the good guys by your one purchase. I also have purchased one item from them and feel good about it.

I mentioned memory lane because I have been smoked there. EVERY ceiling I ever left was reached! Never again.

They had a nice T205 Moran Stray Line recently sell and I was winning at about $500 and would have paid about $1200 for it. Card sold for a little over $600. I refuse to leave them another ceiling bid ever.

Dan Mckee

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I mentioned memory lane because I have been smoked there. EVERY ceiling I ever left was reached! Never again.

They had a nice T205 Moran Stray Line recently sell and I was winning at about $500 and would have paid about $1200 for it. Card sold for a little over $600. I refuse to leave them another ceiling bid ever.

Dan Mckee

How many is every? It has NEVER happened to me. AND like I said, they have honest bid. Sounds like you were really unlucky.. It also sounds like this thread(started)was more about a prrsonal vendetta rather than a positive experience with goldin. At least that is how it appears and it is sad.

Peter_Spaeth
11-02-2013, 01:35 PM
You can't really extrapolate from a couple of ceiling bids that were or weren't maxed to say the auction house isn't or is honest.

HRBAKER
11-02-2013, 01:38 PM
You can't really extrapolate from a couple of ceiling bids that were or weren't maxed to say the auction house isn't or is honest.

No, but the angst generated on both sides of the issue makes for great reading.

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 02:28 PM
No, but the angst generated on both sides of the issue makes for great reading.

It sure does Jeff.. And to think.. Ur not even in the mix..:( I don't have an issue with either auction house listed in this thread.

SPOT ON.

If THAT'S not service, I don't know what is!

+1

HRBAKER
11-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Ben,
I'm not sure how you would know whether I have ever done business with either auction house mentioned. In any event, I assume I am welcome to read and comment on threads as I chose.

Jeff

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Ben,
I'm not sure how you would know whether I have ever done business with either auction house mentioned. In any event, I assume I am welcome to read and comment on threads as I chose.

Jeff

huh??
I meant you didn't take a stand on "the issue". Maybe now??
But yes.. you can read and comment on anything you chose...anyone can... you're right...very, very, very. very, very good point...as usual.:)

HRBAKER
11-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Ben,

That was directed at your comment about me "not being in the mix" which I interpreted to mean that I was a disinterested party as it came to the auction houses being discussed. Obviously I misread it and for that I apologize.

Jeff

oldjudge
11-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Hats off to Ken and his guys for trying to make dealing with Goldin a positive experience. I won my first lot from Goldin in this auction and I am interested to see how smoothly everything flows.

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Ben,

That was directed at your comment about me "not being in the mix" which I interpreted to me that I was a disinterested party as it came to the auction houses being discussed. Obviously I misread it and for that I apologize.

Jeff

yeah... I get it now. not what I meant.. I would have no idea if you bid on those auctions as you mentioned.

Forever Young
11-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Hats off to Ken and his guys for trying to make dealing with Goldin a positive experience. I won my first lot from Goldin in this auction and I am interested to see how smoothly everything flows.

I agree.. ken is very hands on here and answers questions head on. he also has some really great stuff.

barrysloate
11-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I remember from running auctions that sometimes ceiling bids do hit their max, fair and square. If you leave a ceiling close to retail, it very well may be reached. On the other hand, if you leave one twice the retail value and it gets maxed, then you have reason to pause.

danmckee
11-02-2013, 03:40 PM
How many is every? It has NEVER happened to me. AND like I said, they have honest bid. Sounds like you were really unlucky.. It also sounds like this thread(started)was more about a prrsonal vendetta rather than a positive experience with goldin. At least that is how it appears and it is sad.

Ok possibly unlucky since I can't see the records, and no, thread wasn't started for a personal vendetta, I wouldn't be revisiting that point if someone didn't ask why I mentioned it. I stopped leaving ceiling bids with Memory Lane years ago.

Thread was started for + experience with Goldin Auctions and I mentioned my most negative experience to amplify it.

Glad to know you know what I am thinking cause hell I don't sometimes.

This board has really changed since I was a regular here.

On a great note!!!!!!! Thank you once again Goldin Auctions for completing my D304 set with all 5 variations!!!!!!!!!! That Herzog black bar was the last one I needed!

Good Bye everyone, seems like no matter what you post here you get attacked by someone, nice board.

Dan Mckee

Rob D.
11-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Nice to see you posting again, Dan.

botport
11-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm confused. If a bidder puts a value on item 'B' and says I will pay up to (X) amount for item 'B', why in the world complain about paying the price that YOU set?
Perhaps if one bidder sees an item worth (X) amount of dollars would it not be reasonable for another bidder to value the same item for a similar price?

calvindog
11-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm confused. If a bidder puts a value on item 'B' and says I will pay up to (X) amount for item 'B', why in the world complain about paying the price that YOU set?
Perhaps if one bidder sees an item worth (X) amount of dollars would it not be reasonable for another bidder to value the same item for a similar price?

I think the concern is when the crime part comes into the picture.

queencitysportscards
11-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Ken and team run a very good auction. I am not sure there is an auction house trying any harder than they are to do good business. Unfortunately there really wasn't anything for me last night, as I am only looking for a few very esoteric things right now, but I wouldn't hesitate leaving an up to bid with them.

I can tell you as a registered bidder they sure did do everything. Personally had people call me and multiple emails. Have to respect their service. I hope it was a good auction for them and their consignors.

whiteymet
11-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Ken goldin

Just a follow up on my goof of hitting the wrong button when bidding and having my bid increased while winning the lot.

Both Bob and Ken contacted me and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. I am local to Ken, so I drove over yesterday and picked it up and paid the lower of my bids. Thanks, Ken!

Met Ken and he asked if I was the NET54 guy? I said yes. But we all know that Leon is REALLY the Net54 guy!!

oldjudge
11-06-2013, 01:14 AM
I have gone through the whole process now, from bid to lot receipt, and I have to say that dealing with Ken and his guys was a pleasure all the way. Thanks!

BruceWayne
11-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I have gone through the whole process now, from bid to lot receipt, and I have to say that dealing with Ken and his guys was a pleasure all the way. Thanks!
Not to beat a dead horse but I have mentioned previously that there are few people I would ever work for and Ken is one of them. I am very happy to see a number of people here are experiencing firsthand why I made that statement.

Sincerely,
Chris