PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing a significant portion of your collection for one of your “Holy Grails”

markf31
10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm on the verge of doing just that. Over the next week or so I have the opportunity to hopefully acquire what I would consider my collection's "Holy Grail". I might acquire pieces in the future that are just as rare and important to my collection but as of right now this would become far and away the most important, valuable and rarest item in my collection if I can pull it off.

Given the rather small collecting budget I allot as "fun money" I'm going to have to liquidate a portion of my collection to fund the acquisition. All of these items are moderately easily to re-obtain in the future should I wish to, so there was not really much of a decision.

Anyone want to share their stories of having to sacrifice portions of their collection to allow for the procurement of one of your "Holy Grails". I hope in a week or so I can post a reply celebrating my acquisition.

JoeyF1981
10-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm on the verge of doing just that. Over the next week or so I have the opportunity to hopefully acquire what I would consider my collection's "Holy Grail". I might acquire pieces in the future that are just as rare and important to my collection but as of right now this would become far and away the most important, valuable and rarest item in my collection if I can pull it off.

Given the rather small collecting budget I allot as "fun money" I'm going to have to liquidate a portion of my collection to fund the acquisition. All of these items are moderately easily to re-obtain in the future should I wish to, so there was not really much of a decision.

Anyone want to share their stories of having to sacrifice portions of their collection to allow for the procurement of one of your "Holy Grails". I hope in a week or so I can post a reply celebrating my acquisition.

Whats this holy grail youre talking about if you dont mind sharing? Good luck with your acquisition.

atx840
10-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm currently starting the process Mark, tough to let some of these little things go :(

MattyC
10-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Did the exact same thing back in May. Sold off a huge chunk of my cards, even some that will be tough to replace-- but by and large they were "condition rarities" in PSA 10. Never been happier with a decision (except for when I sold my one Registry Set).

I also found that the cards I sold that I thought were replaceable were all replaced quite quickly-- and once I replaced those condition-rare 10s with solid 9s, I did not miss the 10s at all; it was like looking at the same cards again. But now I also had my most desired piece alongside them.

Very excited to see what you acquire!

midwaylandscaping
10-31-2013, 12:21 PM
I've done it myself with cards and comics, with the understanding in my mind of "never looking back". There are many instances where that one "grail" is worth more to a collector than what is being moved collectively to get that grail.

vintagecpa
10-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I sold most of my collection to get my Holy Grail about 4 years ago. I have never regretted it. You can always slowly replace the smaller-value cards. I say go for it and good luck.

DeanH3
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I too have sold off cards to acquire rarer pieces. I have still been debating whether or not to continue with that formula. There are a few cards out there I'd like to pick up but i'm having a tough time deciding what I would sell. I figure best route is to take my time and make sure I don't do anything I regret. Good luck in your decision.

markf31
10-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Whats this holy grail youre talking about if you dont mind sharing? Good luck with your acquisition.

Thanks! I'm going to hold off on mentioning it at this time. Maybe its partially superstition, don't want to "jinx" it.

ullmandds
10-31-2013, 12:36 PM
i've kinda been downsizing my collection in favor of fewer higher quality items...and am very happy with the decision. But as my collection gets smaller...it gets harder and harder to get rid of any of it!

MattyC
10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Interestingly, one definitely reaches a point where you have sold a grouping of lesser pieces and bought a more major one enough times-- and now you are left with all cards you'd rather not part ways with for one larger piece. That's the tough part, when you gotta start dipping into new cash! That's where I am right now. There are a few big cards I want, but I look at any pieces I'd have to part with to get them, and I just can't do it. Which means I just gotta make more $!

g_vezina_c55
10-31-2013, 12:44 PM
i think it is a good move .
good luck and i am impatient to see this holy grail !

Sean
10-31-2013, 01:02 PM
I had a chance to do just this about 11 years ago. I had a chance to get a T206 Plank, and I decided not to do it. I regret that decision to this day. So I say: go ahead, get that one big item. You can rebuild your collection later, but you may never get another shot at your Holy Grail.

PS- I did eventually get a different Plank. :)

10-31-2013, 01:07 PM
I know of at least one board member who owns my dream card (http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/296.html). The problem with what I collect is that almost every card is a grail, so it would be excruciating to start over.

If you can replace your collection fairly easily in the future over time, I say go for it!

joeadcock
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Contemplating same thing
The dive is tough

MBMiller25
10-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Interestingly, one definitely reaches a point where you have sold a grouping of lesser pieces and bought a more major one enough times-- and now you are left with all cards you'd rather not part ways with for one larger piece. That's the tough part, when you gotta start dipping into new cash! That's where I am right now. There are a few big cards I want, but I look at any pieces I'd have to part with to get them, and I just can't do it. Which means I just gotta make more $!

+1

tbob
10-31-2013, 01:38 PM
I have done this before but it goes against my grain as I am a set collector generally, a type collector occasionally. There's just something about having a nice T205 set, for instance, instead of a nice E90-1 Jackson. I guess I am in the minority... :(

Prince Hal
10-31-2013, 02:59 PM
I hadn't really thought about it until I just saw someone put an SGC 40 Breisch-Williams Chesbro on eBay asking $14k...

h2oya311
10-31-2013, 03:10 PM
I hadn't really thought about it until I just saw someone put an SGC 40 Breisch-Williams Chesbro on eBay asking $14k...

You'd think if you were selling a card like this, you'd at least put the right grade in the description (SGC 40 not 30)!!

There are far too many "grails" out there. As another poster commented, need to make more $.

conor912
10-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I have done this before but it goes against my grain as I am a set collector generally, a type collector occasionally. There's just something about having a nice T205 set, for instance, instead of a nice E90-1 Jackson. I guess I am in the minority... :(

I'm with you. Who's to say a complete set can't be a holy grail?

bcbgcbrcb
10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
While I'm not after any one holy grail (although a Baltimore News Ruth would be nice), I have also decided to focus on quality over quantity.

atx840
10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
I have also decided to focus on quality over quantity.

This.

Vintageclout
10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
It is always tough to part with the cards you "broke your back" to obtain, but I am convinced obtaining a MASSIVE cardboard brick is more than worth it!

T206Collector
10-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Sold 400+ T206s to buy Lionel Carter's Eddie Plank. Have never regretted it.

It was hard at the time, but I have not missed virtually any of those cards, which frankly are easy enough to find again if I want.

frankb22
11-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Sold my Holy Grail Trilogy in the fall REA and should be able to
fund my new pursuit/theme nicely. Very excited to get started.
Nothing like a new focus to get the juices flowing.

ScottFandango
11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

why? are you gonna clip it from under him and then offer to sell it for double?

try to add something meaningful in your posts JoeyF....
also, we are not your free authenticators....

milkit1
11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Quantity first
Quality a distant second

Exhibitman
11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
I have also decided to focus on quality over quantity.

Not me. I would rather have every Sandy Koufax card in lower grade than one nm rookie card. I enjoy the lower grade stuff just as much as the high grade ones, and I enjoy being able to have a nice run of the cards I want a lot more than only a couple.

As for the OP, the one time I liquidated a bunch of stuff to go after a grail I regretted it, not because of what I sold off but because the grail showed up a couple more times after I'd outbid everyone else for it, so I had the dubious distinction of paying 4x what everyone else paid for theirs.

steve B
11-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I've never really done that.

The closest I got was selling a few things to pay for a ski trip.

Some of what I collect is outside the mainstream in most of my hobbies, so I've been lucky to pick up a few really special items for very little. Mostly by luck.

I got comfortable years ago with the idea that there were things I just wouldn't be able to get unless I got really lucky.

Being a very general collector and involved in a few different hobbies It's hard to think of any one thing I'd sell most of it for. There are a few things I'd maybe consider it for, but most of them probably don't exist.

Steve B

packs
11-01-2013, 02:37 PM
I am forever facing this question. I'll sell something and make a nice profit, tell myself I'm going to use the profit to buy one nice item, and then always seem to find a hundred small things I want. Before I know it, my profit is gone. But I've got a lot of nice little pieces that I wouldn't mind parting with later.

It's easy for me to part with small items later. But it's impossible for me to part with a large purchase because I feel like I would never make the investment again. Vicious cycle.

atx840
11-01-2013, 05:18 PM
To me, quality doesn't necessarily mean high grade.

Lately I would prefer to have one really nice/tough error example vs five minor ones. One HOF rareback vs three common w/ rarebacks.

I also fully appreciate having the most unique examples one can to admire....that was me up until just recently :)

Kenny Cole
11-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Mentally, I've been moving in the direction of selling off lots of my pre-war commons and lower grade items in order to fund the purchase of some of my whales for quite some time. That would make sense because I've always been a star/negro league/HOF card collector at heart. Physically, I haven't done a damn thing to get it accomplished. Every time I think about it, I find a reason not to get into my safes and start getting it accomplished. :(

JoeyF1981
11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
why? are you gonna clip it from under him and then offer to sell it for double?

try to add something meaningful in your posts JoeyF....
also, we are not your free authenticators....

Lol...scott if you have some sort of grudge against me then maybe we can have a sit down with you, me and dr phil and hash it out. I simply asked him to share his new future purchase and in no way pressed him or in any way attempted to "clip" anything. And what do you mean by meaningful? Just like your post was meaningful to totally disregard the op's thread and start attacking me???? Good one! Now if you have a problem then we can talk about it but in the mean time stop ruining peoples threads with meaningless crap

SikSyko
11-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I would dump all my collections to get the Joe Jackson autograph that is now on in the goodwinandco.com auction. It would be close to what I think it would go for.

ullmandds
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
I just would have a hard time going from having a collection...to having 1 card!!!!! It seems like you're going from collector...to investor of sorts?!

JoeyF1981
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I would dump all my collections to get the Joe Jackson autograph that is now on in the goodwinandco.com auction. It would be close to what I think it would go for.

+1

freakhappy
11-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I just would have a hard time going from having a collection...to having 1 card!!!!! It seems like you're going from collector...to investor of sorts?!

I hear ya, Peter. Not so much that I care about the thought of being an investor, which I wouldn't, but I enjoy so many different pieces of my collection, that for it to be simplified into one card would be shocking and boring in a way. Not that owning a holy grail of sorts would be a bad thing, but I think if I wanted to make a run towards my grail, I would either sell off a portion of my collection, find something else to sell or simply save up for an allotted time to help achieve that goal. I love my cards too much to sell them all at once...even if they aren't too hard to replace!

Even if the cards aren't hard to replace, it would take a lot of time to find them in the condition that I would want them in and we know time is money....it's taken me a quite a few years to get where I'm at today, so unless I'm desperate, I'm not selling my collection for one card.

71buc
11-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Been there, done that, and never regretted it. I took a loss on selling items to obtain it but a grail quest is certainly not about the money. If the experience of obtaining your grail can be measured in dollars and cents, I'm not sure it can be considered a grail by my definition. Once the decision was made I never looked back. This was because I was acutely aware that the opportunity to obtain my grail would likely not present itself again at least in my lifetime. My grail had a personal value to me that was likely not shared by others, but Lordy it was a great feeling to hold it in my hands. I knew I had made the right decision when my wife who thinks I am a balding child said, "Wow that's cool", when I took it from the box. If this describes you and your grail quest by all means do it! Please share it when you bring it home I would love to see the object of your desire;)

tbob
11-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm with you. Who's to say a complete set can't be a holy grail?

Absolutely! A Holy Grail card need not be a Hall of Famer or a star player, it can be the card you need to complete your pre-war set which is very, very scarce. The E90-1 MCLean, the T205 Hoblitzell no stats, the T207 Lewis no emblem, the D311 Lewis, 1911 Zeenut Bohen, etc, cards a lot of collectors would have no clue about unless they were working to complete the sets.
I also agree with the poster about Grail cards not being about quality. If you have the money you can get the E98 Wagner in PSA 10. If you wanted the Bohen, for example, you'd taken one even if it were tattered and in poor condition.
As far as ANY Shoeless Joe autograph, the guy was illiterate and there are so many really good fakes out there wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. There are even fakes of his wife's signing his name for him since he couldn't write. Way too shaky and treacherous for me at the price.

mrvster
11-03-2013, 06:00 AM
ever since a kid it's been my dream.......as a kid almost had one, but seemed to be too much money for a baseball card.....my father had brought me to flee markets and buy cards, and my mother also...I always loved baseball and the cards that went with it...

my dad is long gone, and I miss him very much:(....

my dream is to accomplish it one day.....but im a working class fool lol....

anyway, my t206 circus o' freaks is so unique, hoping one day:)

hoping everyday

Leon
11-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I sold a Kbats team card and another card, which I can't remember, to fund this card. I have never regretted it. I have sold a few other things to help fund others but this was the most expensive.

Bestdj777
11-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Not me. I would rather have every Sandy Koufax card in lower grade than one nm rookie card. I enjoy the lower grade stuff just as much as the high grade ones, and I enjoy being able to have a nice run of the cards I want a lot more than only a couple.

Same here.

When I was just starting out, I considered selling my entire collection to fund the purchase of a 52 Topps Mantle. I decided against it--mostly because what I had owned at the time wouldn't bring the money that I had hoped it would. Now, I don't think I could make the same move. I don't even upgrade my cards, because it is tough even parting with the duplicates in my collection and I cannot justify owning two of the same card. That said, it might be nicer to regain some closet space as one card would be much easier to store than what I have now.