PDA

View Full Version : 1940-70 Boxing News Photos

wondo
10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I just bought a partial run of 1940-70 "Boxing News" Photos (postcards) and I'm trying to find out some information on them. PSA has a checklist in their registry set and prices in SMR although I cannot find record of any sales. Ebay has only a few listings and they do not seem to be listed in VCP. Do any of you have reference or further information on this series? The run I bought is 1-72; the series apparently runs well over 100. Thank you in advance.

John

zack
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM
I've been trying to find info on these for a long time. They were issued in the UK with Boxing News (as a sendaway?). A renowned collector in the UK says they were reproduced, referring to the more glossy looking versions. I've seen up to card #108 and the higher the number, the more recent the fighter (up to mid-60s fighters), and higher number cards are not found in non-glossy versions. So my theory is that they were like Exhibits - issued and re-issued in increasingly expanded runs beginning in the 50s and running through the 60s when they were being issued as newer glossy looking cards.