PDA

View Full Version : Please help with query on oversized SGC holders

GregMitch34
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I just received in mail a T3 from an auction in an SGC holder. I've only had one over-sized SGC holder like this in past (gone now) and I was alarmed at what I saw: at the very bottom edge of the holder (facing down), where the front and back come together, there's a half-inch where the plastic is very roughed-up--as if jimmied open there. It looks for all the world like someone slipped the edge of a screw driver in there and forced it open.

Now, I know that even smaller SGC holders often show something similar--but much smaller and sometimes not at all. So on bigger holders, is this common--SGC often does this when they put the thing together and so it can be expected? Even if so: there's ALSO a quarter-inch very slight crack in the plastic in front leading from this area--clearly showing tampering. Unless, again, this is common with SGC assembling these holders? Thanks for any feedback. See:

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119663&stc=1&d=1383059319

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119664&stc=1&d=1383059579

Stonepony
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
No this sounds odd. Seams should be smooth and flush. You certainly don't want an item that appears tampered with. I would call SGC , I'm sure they will re-encase it without charge. Good luck

packs
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Looks like a chip more than a tampered holder. T3 would be an odd card to switch out.

jhs5120
10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Spend a few moments examining the card; is it over graded? Are there any signs this card was tampered with? Is the card authentic?

SGC oversized holders are notorious for coming apart easily (with or without force). I would assume this makes them easy prey for scammers.

Just be cautious.

GregMitch34
10-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks, but this is far more than a "chip"--and there's also the small crack--but isn't the point that even if card is authentic and may deserve grade or not, it looks suspicious? Particularly to a potential buyer in the future?

ullmandds
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
seems like an odd part of holder to be damaged...on the other hand...that is where I'd stick a screwdriver if I were trying to open an sgc slab.

I've had a few sgc slabs practically open themselves for me!!!

T206Collector
10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
The responses to this post surprise me. SGC holders frequently have a rough spot where the plastic holder was separated from some other plastic attachment at birth, It is not evidence of tampering at all. The fact that in this case a small crack developed is also hardly surprising. If you want a new case, I am sure SGC will replace it post-paid. But very little about this is shocking or surprising to me at all. And I hardly view this as a quality control issue.

jhs5120
10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
The responses to this post surprise me. SGC holders frequently have a rough spot where the plastic holder was separated from some other plastic attachment at birth, It is not evidence of tampering at all. The fact that in this case a small crack developed is also hardly surprising. If you want a new case, I am sure SGC will replace it post-paid. But very little about this is shocking or surprising to me at all. And I hardly view this as a quality control issue.

This particular instance may not be a quality control issue, but there is definitely something wrong with SGC's T3 holders. Several members (myself included) have experienced their slabs simply fall apart.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177487&highlight=over+sized

packs
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a few standard sized holders with a similar dent on the top or bottom, usually dead centered. I think it is just an occasional flaw that occurs when the case is being made.

GregMitch34
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I've noted that some signs of this at bottom of holder often show up even on smaller holders, if much less obviously. Do these obvious signs of jimmying or putting card together--perhaps by SGC itself--really show up this large on larger holders that often? Or occasionally, once in awhile? Would you as a buyer just take it in stride?

ullmandds
10-29-2013, 10:00 AM
I've only owned one t3...had it graded by sgc...at one time it fell and the case broke in 2 pieces and the card went flying...def seems to be an issue with the oversized cases.

GregMitch34
10-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks for replies but opinion seems very split, so not sure what left with. If anyone else has any comment, please. As I've said, the crack leading from the more common issue at the bottom makes it seem--even if not true--that it was jimmied open.

conor912
10-30-2013, 09:42 AM
I see the spot in question and the frosting to the immediate left and right, but the seal seems to be intact the further down you go. Even if someone did try to get into it, it looks like they probably saw they were damaging the case and gave up, leaving the card untouched. If it bothers you that much, get it reholdered. Otherwise, I don't think think the card was successfully messed with.