PDA

View Full Version : New to Pre-War collecting. Need advice.

Vintagevault13
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
I have always collected Post-War cards (50's - 70's). Over the past year I have been working on completing a Hank Aaron Topps master set. While I am not going after the Venezuela cards, I should have the set pretty much complete in a couple of months.

This leads me to my question. After reading posts on this forum, I have decided to next begin collecting Pre-War. I will probably steer clear of "The Monster" as I don't have that kind of money. I have thought about 1933 or 34 Goudey in G - VG condition to keep the price reasonable. What advice can you give me? Any other suggestions I may not be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Vintagevault13
10-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Sorry. Wrong forum. Should be in Pre-war.

nsaddict
10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Ed, can't go wrong with either Goudey set. My suggestion would be to buy the Ruth,Gehrig,Foxx cards graded as many have been tampered with that are raw (I know someone is going to say many high grades "have been played with too"). I've seen many PSA 2's and 3's with nice eye appeal. Good luck and have fun :) I think Leon can move it to pre war for you?

Bestdj777
10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Good call skipping the Venezuelans. I am trying to track them down for my master set but some years are nearly impossible.

As for pre-war, the 33 Goudey is an iconic set. I would also recommend looking into B-18s. One of the really under-appreciated sets, and great value for the money.

Vintagevault13
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks to both of you. Great advice.

campyfan39
10-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Good luck in your quest.
Think it through. I was influenced by this board to get into pre-war. I was into it for about a year but have sold them all now. For me it was frustrating because there was just so many cards and players that far exceeded my budget. I can collect post war and live without a 52 mantle. but in pre-war to get decent Ruth, Cobb, Lou, Wags, Jackson etc it takes a fortune.

darkhorse9
10-29-2013, 07:12 AM
First and foremost..collect what you like. It's a lot easier to shell out bigger bucks for cards that truly get your heart racing than for a card that you simply want to get out of the way.

Since the sets are smaller I find it much easier to focus on one set at a time, finish it and then move on. That way you pay more attention to what you need/want/can afford

You might find it easier to focus on just one "theme" Collect the entire run of one manufacturer (Goudey, Play Ball etc.) or try and get one good set from each year (my personal fav.)

Bottom line..don't let price guides or grading services make decisions for you. Buy the cards you like, in the condition you like at a price you like. And then enjoy them