PDA

View Full Version : Why in the World Don't

JamesGallo
10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Grading companies put a reason for the authentic grade on the label.
There is room for it but I only ever see this once in a while on a restored card.

To me if they deem a card is authentic but not gradable there has to be a reason why, so why the heck is't it on the label.

As a follow up to a related thread, how is a seller supposed to describe and authentic card. We have all gotten grade we don't agree with but many times I have had cards graded authentic only to get graded by another company. Admittedly this happens most often on strip cards, but I have had it happen on "regular" cards as well.

James G

Cardboard Junkie
10-25-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't know, good question though!

EvilKing00
10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Grading companies put a reason for the authentic grade on the label.
There is room for it but I only ever see this once in a while on a restored card.

To me if they deem a card is authentic but not gradable there has to be a reason why, so why the heck is't it on the label.

As a follow up to a related thread, how is a seller supposed to describe and authentic card. We have all gotten grade we don't agree with but many times I have had cards graded authentic only to get graded by another company. Admittedly this happens most often on strip cards, but I have had it happen on "regular" cards as well.

James G

totally agree, they should

ullmandds
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
good question...its ridiculous..they will tell you the reason...sometimes...even attach a little note...sometimes...why not just put it on the slab?!?!

it's not like its supposed to be a secret!

t206blogcom
10-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Never understood this either.

Just look at my W512 set. Why did they grade all but one 'A'? The only one that received a numerical grade isn't exactly a near mint card, yet the better looking ones didn't receive a numerical grade. Just don't get it.

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/W512-Baseball-Series-Final-Set-SGC-Graded-Web.jpg

leaflover
10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Totally agree! I've shown this card to some of the most knowledgable people in the hobby.

The concensus was; Trimmed/NO, recolored/NO, spooned/NO

Cut from a sheet/MAYBE

Fred
10-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Mike,

Just looking at the card I would guess the TPG thought it was trimmed. It's hard to tell from just a scan.

The grade part "helps" them out because a lot of people give a crap about that stupid number. I'd just call all cards AUTH without a numeric inidication and ALT if they were altered (with an explanation).

I think the TPGs really screwed up early on when they assigned grades to cards that were "cut" or trimmed from panels (like the strip cards). Also, they screwed up when they started assigning numeric grades to cards with coupons removed (Zeenuts or Redman for example). Now, if they start assigning only ALT or AUTH grades to cards with coupons removed, what are they saying about all the cards that they assigned numeric numbers to?

Jay Wolt
10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
I agree! If they can do this on a skinned card, why not for a trimmed, re-colored etc..?

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/1283689013.jpg

t206blogcom
10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Mike - In your case I'm willing to bet your Mathewson is 'altered' because of the eraser mark in the bottom right corner.

CaramelMan
10-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Totally agree! I've shown this card to some of the most knowledgable people in the hobby.

The concensus was; Trimmed/NO, recolored/NO, spooned/NO

Cut from a sheet/MAYBE

That matty is trimmed right border...note lower right corner appearance. Trim

buymycards
10-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Hi Fred, I agree with you. The only grades should be Authentic or fake.

Rick

ullmandds
10-26-2013, 07:13 AM
But if the only grades were:

-authentic(unaltered)

-authentic(altered)

-un-authentic/FAKE

there'd be no incredulous money to be gained by those with connections to these TPG companies!!!!

chipperhank44
10-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Never understood this either.

Just look at my W512 set. Why did they grade all but one 'A'? The only one that received a numerical grade isn't exactly a near mint card, yet the better looking ones didn't receive a numerical grade. Just don't get it.

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/W512-Baseball-Series-Final-Set-SGC-Graded-Web.jpg

I guess the reason the Frisch got a numerical grade is the visibility of the dotted line border. However, its only showing on one side, seen others like that grade "A" like your Cobb and Speaker. Also a few of the other cards have a lot more border showing, but no dotted line. Seems like a minimum measurement would be a better way to grade strips than looking for a dotted line. The Bancroft, for example, has plenty of border and I'm guessing has measurements similar to if not larger than the Frisch. The same could be said for your Vance as well.

Fred
10-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I've seeen strip cards without the dotted line receive numeric grades. I think that the TPGs may be trying to tighten the standards on their grading for cards that were "trimmed/cut" after the card hit the general public. In any case, they're a bit late.

You would think that a group of collectors (like a group from this forum that KNOWS cards) would reach out to the TPGs and try to set an "industry standard" form the hobbies point of view rather than have the TPGs tell the hobby what the standards should be.

The only problem is that they would probably have to put a new mark on the flip indicating that the card passes the new standard and people may look at the earlier graded cards as substandard. Heck, there's a whole new cross-over for the grading companies if they did that... REVENUE.. are you listening TPGs? Nope....