PDA

View Full Version : I'm outing an auction....

slidekellyslide
10-22-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BELTZERS-Nebraska-Indians-1914-Baseball-Team-Postcard-Postmarked-Lincoln-RARE-/111196320673?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19e3d133a1

This is a very cool postcard and one I've never seen before...that said I'm not so sure that price is anywhere near reasonable. Printed postcards of the NI team usually sell in the $30-$50 range for "common" cards...some of the rarer types and even one of a kind real photo postcards sell in the $100-$150 range. Not sure why this seller thinks this is anywhere near worth $500.

edited to add: the postmark and stamp on the front are also a detractor IMO.

On the plus side I always like seeing something I've never seen before that I want to add to my collection...this makes 2 postcards of the Nebraska Indians that I need to keep an eye out for.

Leon
10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
The price probably reflects the 5 minutes of google searching the seller did. If you read the thesis of a description, I think they feel they have the golden holy grail....when really it's only a silver plated one..

slidekellyslide
10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
The price probably reflects the 5 minutes of google searching the seller did. If you read the thesis of a description, I think they feel they have the golden holy grail....when really it's only a silver plated one..

I think the seller may know a thing or two about baseball...he or she has had some very nice items for sale on ebay recently...and he or she has started all of them at a reasonable starting price. I just hope they didn't start this auction with that ridiculous starting price hoping the one person in the world who focuses on this team would be dumb enough to hit the buy it now. :D

khkco4bls
10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Dan what's it worth. Make an offer...

ksfarmboy
10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Usually printed postcards like this are a dime a dozen. Wonder why this is such a toughy. There has to be more out there.

slidekellyslide
10-23-2013, 02:51 PM
I feel like a jerk for starting this thread...I had no idea it was a net54 member. Anyway we are working a deal for the postcard. :o

Clint, there are some printed postcards that are toughies...another Net54 member owns a Nebraska Indians card that is also the only one I've ever seen. The Beltzer cards are just tougher than the Green cards.

Lordstan
10-23-2013, 03:16 PM
I feel like a jerk for starting this thread...I had no idea it was a net54 member. Anyway we are working a deal for the postcard. :o

This situation brings up an interesting question.
I see, in the members list, one of the columns is ebay ID. Is that field searchable? If so, perhaps a campaign to get people to put their ebay IDs in more would allow Net54 members to more easily find each other when dealing with ebay items.
I'm not suggesting we circumvent ebay and rob them of their profit.(I would never, ever suggest such a terrible thing. :rolleyes:) I just think if everyone was listed then perhaps threads like this wouldn't happen and everyone winds up happy. Sellers sell stuff and collectors get stuff.

slidekellyslide
10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
All's well that ends well...an offer was made, it was accepted and everyone is happy! :)

cammb
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't understand the purpose of this thread. If you think someone is selling an item at n unreasonable price, just igniore it otherwise you would have to out 90% of all sellers on ebay.

thecatspajamas
10-23-2013, 03:44 PM
This situation brings up an interesting question.
I see, in the members list, one of the columns is ebay ID. Is that field searchable? If so, perhaps a campaign to get people to put their ebay IDs in more would allow Net54 members to more easily find each other when dealing with ebay items.
I'm not suggesting we circumvent ebay and rob them of their profit.(I would never, ever suggest such a terrible thing. :rolleyes:) I just think if everyone was listed then perhaps threads like this wouldn't happen and everyone winds up happy. Sellers sell stuff and collectors get stuff.

Mark,
I never thought to do so before, but sure enough, you can search Net54 members by their posted eBay IDs by going to the menu bar above and starting with the "Community" drop-down:

Community=> Members List=> Search Members=> Advanced Search

Searching by eBay ID is one of the options there. Of course, as you say, only a small percentage of Net54 users have their eBay ID's posted, but you never know.

Also, as I noted today that one of the changes with eBay's search functionality was to do away with the "search by bidder" advanced search option, perhaps more members will be willing to post their ID's (no more fear of a lurker spying what you are bidding on and beating you to the punch or running you up).