PDA

View Full Version : Help with an autograph

edtiques
10-22-2013, 01:16 PM
If anyone can help to id this signature,I'd certainly appreciate it.
Also,can anyone recommend a good auction house.I have about 1,600-1,800 signed index cards that I want to sell and am considering running them through an auction house.So,I'm looking for a good outlet for them.
Thanks in advance

GrayGhost
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Former Philly Greg Gross maybe?

MooseDog
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Former Philly Greg Gross maybe?

Exactamundo!

Maddog
10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure about that Moosedog.
Here's an in person sig from around 2005.

MooseDog
10-23-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure about that Moosedog.
Here's an in person sig from around 2005.

Maddog -

You may be right, as I never got Greg Gross in person but I still think the OP's 3x5 is "supposed" to be Greg Gross. In the 1980s any mail sent to the Phillies was usually either returned unsigned or "clubhouse" signed, especially the stars such as Rose, Carlton, Boone, etc.

Back in the day I was mostly American League oriented since I lived in Oakland. I have a 3x5 just like the OP's I got in a trade with an NL guy that was identified as Greg Gross.

Many collectors back then collected 3x5 cards TTM. That Gross probably came from the Phillies. I can't believe that Gross was overwhelmed with TTM requests but who knows, perhaps all the players mail was intercepted by the team management.

edtiques
10-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all your responses.I had considered Greg Gross before I started the thread and saw that it really wasn't like the other Greg Gross autographs that I could find.That's what made me wonder about it.I really didn't think it would be a "clubhouse" signature because it was Greg Gross,how many autograph requests could he have gotten?I always thought that some of the bigger stars often had someone else sign for them and hadn't considered a minor star(at best)would do that as well.
Thanks again.

MooseDog
10-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I know when I mailed to Phillies players when they were going good in the early 1980s, I got the feeling that the players never saw the mail. What I would get back was the items I sent and they included a team photo with either a fake (printed) signature or a secretarial/clubhouse sig. And I did send to some of the lesser knowns too.

The Montreal Canadiens were like that in the 1970s as well. All you would ever get back was unsigned postcards of the player you wrote to, never an autograph. They were nice postcards though, compared to the Phils, so I kept writing anyway...

Signatures can change dramatically. Gary Gaetti is one extreme example. Both of these are good. The cut is his "early", the ball his more recent example.

Maddog
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Could be the same issue with Gross?
Looks like the "G"s are the real problem.
The one I show was from a PA show probably 5-6 years ago,
maybe the OP's differs because it was during his playing days?
But again, how much signing would Gross have been
doing to make him change his signature:D