PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rust from 1909-12 PX7 Sweet Caporal Domino Discs??

markf31
10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
The 1909-12 Sweet Caporal Domino Discs have intrigued me for a while and I might pursue them in the near future. One of the condition issues with the discs is they are commonly found with rust on the outside metal ring. There are some mild home remedies to remove or soften rust for removal such as diluted white vinegar which could be applied carefully with a q-tip.

My opinion is removing rust would be similar to soaking a card to remove glue or paper residue which seems like a very accepted method of improving the condition of a card.

What are you opinions in regards to trying to clean the rust of the 1909-12 Sweet Caporal Discs?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1909-PX7-Sweet-Caporal-Domino-Disc-Coin-Pin-Howie-Camnitz-Pittsburgh-Pirates-/00/s/ODM3WDk2MQ==/z/obQAAOxyDLZR8eCQ/$(KGrHqJHJEUFHWUbHBRHBR8eCPnIcw~~60_57.JPG

ullmandds
10-22-2013, 07:47 AM
I would have to think removing the rust would create a shiny, burnished appearance...like removing the patina from an antique. If so this would be unacceptable to me.

markf31
10-22-2013, 07:51 AM
I would have to think removing the rust would create a shiny, burnished appearance...like removing the patina from an antique. If so this would be unacceptable to me.

I did not think of it in these terms, good point. Patina and rust are both forms of oxidation.

rhettyeakley
10-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Oxidation is a chemical reaction of the metal itself so I don't think it should be messed with as when cleaned off it would actually be removing some of the oxidized metal from the surface of the ring. I tend to think of it along the same lines as Peter, for the most part it is unacceptable in the coin industry and think the same would apply here. That being said if the metal ring was hideously rusted and really distracting from the overall esthetics of the piece I might be tempted to try something.

rgpete
10-22-2013, 04:32 PM
If it's not broke don't fix it My luck I would ruin it