PDA

View Full Version : Ouch...that Stings!!!!! Worst Flip ever!

ullmandds
10-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm not necessarily talking about "flips" in the traditional sense...you bought it just to re-sell with the intention of making a profit...I'm talking any card/lot you bought...for whatever reason...you loved it, had to have it, thought it would stay in your collection forever...or a flip to resell for $$$$$.

What card have you lost the most cheese...the most bread...the most benjamins on?

Share your humble pie!

For me...it was this fellow here...I have a feeling someone here on the board has him...if so...enjoy...I'm over it!:D

gnaz01
10-19-2013, 12:44 PM
What card have you lost the most cheese...the most bread...the most benjamins on?:D

I'll let you know after REA results tomorrow :D

steve B
10-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Actually, no single card.

Most of the old stuff I've bought was bought long a go, and I've been a bit picky for the last ten years or so. The good thing is that even the ones I graded that came back lower than I expected didn't take a hit in value at all.

Now the boxes full of newish stuff I bought between about 86 and 96.........

I've sold a few I miss, but the deals were good at the time, so I can't be too worried.

And of course, I didn't buy a lot of cards I wish I had bought.

Steve B

ullmandds
10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
good luck, Greg...it all happens in the nth hour with REA!

gnaz01
10-19-2013, 03:29 PM
good luck, Greg...it all happens in the nth hour with REA!

Thanks Pete, can I quote you to Rob and Brian on that :D

kmac32
10-20-2013, 12:42 PM
I would say over thelong haul, I'm about even. I certainly wouldn't make a living off of selling cards. :-)

1880nonsports
10-20-2013, 12:54 PM
my biggest score - an item I bought for around 3000.00 for my collection and sold for 33,000.00.

my biggest losses - everything else I still have in my collection :(

glchen
10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
This is probably one of my worst losses, when I just got back in the hobby and didn't know what I was doing. I remember I wanted to try to pick up some cards from some of the big names from some famous sets like T205. Note to self (and others): avoid cards in GAI holders.

sycks22
10-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Bought into the Black Swamp hype, that didn't end well :cool:

Theo_450
10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Not a flip, but it might fit.
I expected this card to do a whole lot more than it did.
It did good, but in the end, I was disappointed.

drcy
10-20-2013, 07:14 PM
My personal record is I bought a cabinet card for $3,000, consigned it for $1,500 and it was later auctioned for $18,000.

Happened several years ago, so I just chuckle about it now.

xcgrammer
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Pete what made you wanna get rid of the Lowdermilk? I remember when I saw it on Antiques Roadshow thought it was really cool, but felt the guy that made the find had to know the Lowdermilk was worth something.

slipk1068
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
I guess Lowdermilk is tough, but not as tough as was thought a few years back. I don't see them often. Thanks for the education Pete.

Not sure what my worst flip is because I only recently started to experiment with some flipping. I can say I am sure I own cards I will lose money on if I ever sell them. In the late 80's/early 90's, it seemed like any popular card had a NM price attached to it. If you found Mantle cards from the 50's at a show in EX condition you paid a NM price for it. At least that was my experience. Probably lose on some cards like that or break even on some after holding them for 25plus years.

Leon
10-22-2013, 11:03 AM
I guess Lowdermilk is tough, but not as tough as was thought a few years back. I don't see them often. Thanks for the education Pete.

Lowdermilk is very scarce but the Red Cross back on him is uniquely known. On the rarest of the rare, as that one is, the market can be extremely thin and one less bidder can cut the price in half. My worst flip was a 19th century card I lost 10k on. Again, super rare and very limited audience. I knew when I bought it privately that I would lose money on the resell but I needed for my type set. And there are only 3 from the whole set known. It was a Hancock's Clothing card...

ullmandds
10-22-2013, 11:37 AM
honestly guys...I bid on the lowdy while drunk and didn't expect to win it! after winning it I thought I got it for a fair price considering it's uniqueness.

what Leon said is totally correct re. thinness of markets of rarities...esp with unpopular sets like t207...can lead to big losses!!!

and to take the story full circle while having dinner w a few collecting buddies and Brian dwyer of REA...after a few drinks I decided to consign it.

moral of story...making decisions while drunk may not always be a good idea!!!!

peterose4hof
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Disclaimer: This is not pre-war, but it is pertinent to the topic at hand.

I spent about $400 at the Fleer bankruptcy sale on cards I thought would be perfect for eBay/COMC. I have sold less than $20 worth and I am in the red once you factor in the fees. Ugh!