PDA

View Full Version : YES! Amped. Brett reg size 9!

MattyC
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Little ways back, a Brett reg size 9 popped on eBay. Novella had it up. Loved it. Missed it. After that the card finally took an overdue bump in price. After all with the Schmidt, two biggest cards of the decade probably. Anyways I LUCKED OUT and saw it listed on a BIN-- couldn't hit it fast enough.

Enjoying a drink in back of uber car en route to Hollywood for a night out-- raising glass to finally snagging reg size Brett RC! Pics when it is in hand for sure.

I definitely was not looking forward to slugging it out in an auction, as I have too many buddies who all want one-- or more than one. Sometimes gotta love BINS!

I think some cards do well with bins but others may perform best in auction format, actually.

Bestdj777
10-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Curious as to what that is? Never heard of the card before. Pics? Congrats on the find!

almostdone
10-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Curious as to what that is? Never heard of the card before. Pics? Congrats on the find!

I think he is referring to a 1975 Topps George Brett rookie card in regular size as opposed to the mini's. Maybe a bit excited at the time of the post to fully explain it. I had to interpret it myself.
I looked it up on ebay and it is a beautiful card. Congrats on finding one with a BIN your happy with instead of having to duke it out on an auction.
Drew

Bestdj777
10-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks Drew. All that popped up on my google searches was something about Brett Hull, which did not make sense.

savedfrommyspokes
10-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Looking at some of the other PSA 9 75 Bretts, I noticed this one....are the edges of this case frosted, is it just a bad image, or am I seeing things?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-TOPPS-GEORGE-BRETT-KC-ROYALS-ROOKIE-CARD-228-PSA-9-MINT-MINT-OLD-FLIP-/181236155594?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a328444ca

MattyC
10-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks, yes, was just amped and posting from iPhone at the time. Mean regular size as opposed to mini. I once had both in 10, but sold them to chase a Ruth RC, and was eager to find two strong 9s. The mini came up first, and the reg size version had eluded me. So many people doing that set and on the registry you have Brett guys, set guys, and HOF rc guys, that the auction action can take a good one over 2k on a good (or would it be bad? Depends if buyer or seller!) day. Hence was pumped to see a BIN. Was my second lucky BIN after the CJ Cobb that lasted on ebay all of like ten seconds, lol.

VCP shows how strong the action is Brett 9s have been getting, even for examples with less than stellar centering for the grade.

That case on the other one mentioned is fine; top/bottom not the best example for the grade but looks strong in all other respects.

Many cases come with cloudy patches right off the press. Tampering/frosting is more about an entire continuous edge of the case having that look. Hope that helps.

Actually, looking harder at that one listed and linked above, I'm surprised it did not get an OC qualifier? I know the angled can can distort the look of centering, but there is precious little green real estate above the ROYALS. If I subbed that I'd definitely get an OC with my luck.

MBMiller25
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Looked up the card, very nice Matty, Congrats. You have certainly rebuilt and replaced everything sold for that Ruth run you made. Well done.

the 'stache
10-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Congratulations, Matt!

Two of my favorite cards from the decade of the 70s, from two of my all-time favorite players, are in this set. You just picked up one, and the Robin Yount is, of course, the other. I hope you don't mind if I share my Yount in your thread. It just seems right having him here. Brett and Robin were so much alike, it's frightening.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4716/icuj.png

Consider this. George Brett and Robin Yount were rookies at the same time in 1974 (Brett got 40 ABs in 1973, but '74 was his rookie season). Both played their entire careers for small market teams. Brett and Yount both started out as shortstops, and moved to other positions, Brett to third, and Yount to center field. Both won one Gold Glove. They got their 3,000th hit 3 weeks apart (Yount on September 9th, 1992, and George Brett on September 30th, 1992) and both retired in 1993. Finally, both went into the Hall of Fame together in 1999. If you ask any baseball fan to name the player they first think of when mentioning the Brewers and Royals, it's Yount and Brett, hands down.

Brett and Yount combined for 3 American League MVP Awards, 3,215 runs, 6,296 hits, 1,248 doubles, 263 triples, 568 home runs, 3,002 RBI and 472 stolen bases. They played an amazing 5,563 games, and tallied 23,874 plate appearances.

I can't wait to see your Brett. I could go looking for it, but I want to see it here. And I know when you do, I'm going to go looking for a Yount graded. The one I have is really nice, but there's two very minor imperfections that keep me from sending it in for grading. The first is the printing flaw in the "s" in Brewers. The second one really kills me. There's the tiniest little imperfection in the upper right corner. It's as if somebody touched the very tip of a thumb tack to it, applied a very tiny amount of pressure, then pulled it back. But that's all it takes to drop this from an 8 to a 7. Too bad, because the edges are really clean, the centering is good, and the corners are sharp. And the rest of the surface is flawless.

I'll probably go in for an 8.5. A 9 will have to wait for a while.

MattyC
10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Great Yount! My own Yount is an 8.5. Might even be close to adding a second Yount 8.5, actually. Those two cards go together like PB&J.

CW
10-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Great Yount! My own Yount is an 8.5. Might even be close to adding a second Yount 8.5, actually. Those two cards go together like PB&J.

Yep, kind of like the '83 T Sandberg, Gwynn, and Boggs, or the '84 T Mattingly and Strawberry. Some card just go together.

Nice snag on the Brett, btw! Where's the scan?

Beatles Guy
10-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Congrats! I too am in the market for a Brett, but not a 9. I'd settle for a nice SGC 84 :)

bcbgcbrcb
10-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Here's my Brett & Yount combo, unfortunately, the Beckett holders are tough to scan clearly but it's hard to believe that there are a lot of Brett's nicer than this one...........

71buc
10-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Those are some amazing examples. My minis are nowhere near as nice. However, I used my allowance to pay for them. I pulled them from packs 38 years ago during my 6th grade summer. The fact that they are even this nice after traveling with me through elementary school , Jr. High, High school, college, graduate school, 25 years of marriage, and four kids speaks volumes about what a strange child I was. It also says a little about the stranger middle aged man I seem to have become;)

the 'stache
10-23-2013, 09:57 PM

They sure do, Matt. When you get your Brett in, please share scans of both. I will never get tired of looking at those two cards. Actually, the '75 set is one of my favorites from the entire decade (that and the '71 set). I really like the color, and there's so many great players in the set.

Yep, kind of like the '83 T Sandberg, Gwynn, and Boggs, or the '84 T Mattingly and Strawberry. Some card just go together.

Nice snag on the Brett, btw! Where's the scan?

Now you're talking my wheelhouse, Chuck. Those were the cards I grew up on. That '83 Topps trio used to be in my collection. I'm going to have to pick up some PSA graded copies. The '84s, too, as well as the '84 Mattingly. God, that card was so hot when I was a kid. Too bad his back problems crept in, because he was on his way to Cooperstown.

I don't think Matt has the Brett in quite yet.

Congrats! I too am in the market for a Brett, but not a 9. I'd settle for a nice SGC 84 :)

That card would look awesome SGC slabbed, Jason. Eventually, every graded card I have before 1990 is going to be SGC slabbed.

Here's my Brett & Yount combo, unfortunately, the Beckett holders are tough to scan clearly but it's hard to believe that there are a lot of Brett's nicer than this one...........

That's a really nice card, Phil. You guys have me wanting one now.

When you start getting to 8 or higher, you really can't see any differences unless you pull out the loupe. The "flaws", if you will, are very hard to spot unless you're really looking at the card critically. I'd be completely happy with an 8 for my Yount, to be honest. But since I collect Robin, I'll go for an 8.5. It's a nice investment grade without going too crazy. If I'm going to drop $1,000 on a card, it's going towards a Goudey Ruth or Gehrig, or a T206 Cobb.

Those are some amazing examples. My minis are nowhere near as nice. However, I used my allowance to pay for them. I pulled them from packs 38 years ago during my 6th grade summer. The fact that they are even this nice after traveling with me through elementary school , Jr. High, High school, college, graduate school, 25 years of marriage, and four kids speaks volumes about what a strange child I was. It also says a little about the stranger middle aged man I seem to have become;)

Mike, those are nice cards, and the fact that you've owned them, and loved them for those 38 years makes them all the better. That's something that a technical grade can never account for.

I can relate to those, too. The first card I ever owned was a 1980 Topps Robin Yount. I pulled it from a pack when I was nine years old (part of a basket the Easter Bunny brought me. My parents, er, the Bunny, were pretty observant, heh heh. Anyway, I put that thing in my pocket when I went to school. When I got bored (which was often having ADD), I'd pull it out, and look at it. I'd flip it over, and start memorizing the stats. So, naturally, when I came back to the hobby a few years back, the first card I wanted to buy graded was the Yount.

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/7584/1980toppsryountpsa.jpg

I don't remember what happened to its predecessor (probably went through the wash or something), but this is one of the favorite cards in my collection because of the history behind it.

And if you look at that, and compare it to a PSA 10, I challenge you to find a difference without the use of a loupe.

Beatles Guy
10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
That card would look awesome SGC slabbed, Jason. Eventually, every graded card I have before 1990 is going to be SGC slabbed.

I just finished re-slabbing all of my graded cards to SGC. They look awesome.

MattyC
10-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Here they are!

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/-top-20-/13708/1975-topps-george-brett-rc

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/-top-20-/11657/1975-topps-mini-george-brett-rc

almostdone
10-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Beautiful! Purple and green remind me of two things: 1975 Topps George Brett Rookie and the Joker in Batman.:)
Again, congrats!
Drew

the 'stache
10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
That's two gorgeous cards you have there, Matt. Wow! Congratulations!!!!!

ajw9356
10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Man, super jealous here, have graded a half dozen of the best examples I have been able to pick up. I have an 8.5, 3-8s and two 7.5, still looking for that elusive 9. Congrats on maybe the greatest card of the 70s in my humble opinion.

Samsdaddy
10-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Mike, as it has been said before these cards are still in great condition considering they are from your childhood collection.

When I was in 6th grade, I was pasting some of my favorite cards into a scrapbook...DOH!!!

mybestbretts
10-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Couldn't resist in sharing the Holy
Grail of Brett Cards You won't see many of
these.119643

MBMiller25
10-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Congrats on the 74 Brett Postcard. I have never seen that before. I am assuming based on your user name that you're a BIG Brett collector, so I am sure your over the moon with this acquisition.

MBMiller25
10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I am reading backwards!

Matty, Just beautiful Full and Mini Brett's! The centering on both of those cards is just fantastic. Very well done. The Green and Purple just make that card pop! Easily one of my favorite cards ever!

mybestbretts
10-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks Matt. Those are as rare as they come. Only 2 have been
graded to date.

CW
10-29-2013, 07:54 PM
LOL two of them?! Nice, Matt!

Cool PC there, mybestbretts!

Miniduff
10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Beautiful pick ups Matty!

MBMiller25
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Duff, Nice to see you over here, I always enjoyed reading what you have to say.

MattyC
11-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Yes-- Duff is here! You will love the lack of alts and freedom of speech. Amazing, dynamite forum.

Miniduff
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks very much. Been lurking for years, but finally decided to join after reading of Matt's PSA experience.

Plus, I think people forget that the CU boards are THEIR boards at the end of the day. It will be nice to not always walk on eggshells.

Besides, I see there are many old friends here too :-)

mybestbretts
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone watching what that PSA 10 Mini is going for on the Heritage auction?
I thought from the beginning that it would go for 20,000 including the
fees and I may not be far from right. Be glad you got the 9 as it may take
another swing up.

Miniduff
11-02-2013, 05:19 PM
My guess going in was 18k. It is the first non trimmed 10 offered since the 2009 REA.

Wish the lower right corner wasn't so obviously not gem. Imo my personal 9 is stronger, plus I pulled it myself from a case I ripped. Only 5 Bretts in the case, but hit 4 9s and kept the best. The twin tiny scratches beneath the B are on the case. The SGC 98 regular is mine as well, for the moment anyway.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/jimduffett/f7320cd5-a759-4446-8479-ae88acc315f0_zpsd76e187c.jpg (http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/f7320cd5-a759-4446-8479-ae88acc315f0_zpsd76e187c.jpg.html)
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/jimduffett/Sep19224_zpsdcd30213.jpg (http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/Sep19224_zpsdcd30213.jpg.html)

MattyC
11-03-2013, 09:31 AM
How big of an idiot am I for selling by Brett mini 10 for $9300 in May?

Oh-- and a Brett regular size 10 as well.

As to the Heritage 10, that lower right corner is clear as day. That card is an AWESOME 9 to any collector with eyes but the sticker says 10. I mean, cover the stickers and I take MiniDuff's PSA 9 over that PSA 10 all day every day.

the 'stache
11-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Well Matt, now I have to get one of those full sized Bretts for my collection. :D I'd be happy with PSA 8s for Brett and Yount.