PDA

View Full Version : 1913 Derby Cigars origins

Hal Kaplan
10-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello,

I have been reading this board for about 10 years and have rarely posted, but I found something recently which I thought I'd share. I'm sorry if this belongs in the memorabilia forum, but I thought there would be interest here since there have been threads on these before. Leon, if this has already been mentioned on this forum, please feel free to delete this thread. It is a 1913 Philadelphia Athletics World Series program (not mine) which is in the Hall of Fame's collection. I have the 2013 HOF wall calendar and it is in the October photo collage with other 1913 World Series memorabilia, probably for the 100th anniversary of this Series. The "Derby Cigars" cards were apparently cut from the cover of these programs. Presumably a matching Giants version was also made, with "National League Champions" at the bottom. The Athletics have a letter "A" in a circle at the lower right corner of each "card", and the Giants have a "G". The arrangement of the players matches the 2-card panels that Leon once posted. Bender and Oldring are hidden behind some other programs in the picture. I don't know if these programs have any connection to Derby Cigars. If anyone on the board is interested in these and has a connection at the HOF, perhaps they can find out more. This is the first time I've posted a photo and I don't know how to rotate it, if anyone does please help! Thanks for many years of hobby enjoyment and many more to come.

Vintagecatcher
10-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks for posting this important information. Glad I never picked up any of these program cutouts!

Patrick

Hal Kaplan
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks! Glad I could help with this.

Leon
10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for posting that Hal. Just curious if we know if there is anything on the other side of that page of the scorecard, in the way of writing or advertising etc..? The ones of these I have handled don't appear to be program type stock (who knows maybe they are?). It is much thinner than I would think would be used for a scorecard or program. It's always good to learn about these things, good, bad or indifferent. There are certain notebook cuts I have seen go for $500+, so who knows? Interesting stuff.

I should add, I have always thought they were stamps.....but that is only by the stock they are on...

Hal Kaplan
10-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately the caption doesn't say what's on the back, perhaps there is advertising for Derby Cigars? The photograph also showed a T200 Premium of the Athletics which was identified only as a team photograph, so maybe this is something else that's misidentified as a program? That's why I suggested that maybe if someone on the board has a contact at the HOF, maybe they can help. Neat cards, thanks for posting!