PDA

View Full Version : Card Grading and Autograph Authentication

Roofman4
10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
After many many months of reading members opinions, researching and exploring card grading, I decided to jump in and make a submission to SGC. In order to help the process, I hand delivered a small mix of cards covering many decades to SGC at the CSA Show in Chantilly last week. I submitted some T206, E90-1, 1954 Bowman, along with some 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's Topps.

I also submitted a 1989 Topps #250 with a Cal Ripken Jr. autograph for authentication and encapsulation. My graded submission is not due out for another several weeks, but I got my Cal Ripken autograph returned already. To my surprise the card came back with a tag that reads "Fails Authentication". Needless to say I was surprised. Is that marker meant to say that SGC thinks it is a fake? I personally obtained this autograph in 1993 at an O's game and still have the ticket stub from that game.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I know for a fact...100% that this autograph is real because I am the one that got it. I did exactly what I have done for years, I get there early for batting practice, stand at the railing by the on deck circle along with the other 150 people and hopefully get your item signed...what gives? Please help with any ideas, thoughts or opinions.

**Leon, If this is in the wrong subject category please place it where it belongs.

Scot Machande

novakjr
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
yes, I believe that means they think it's fake. These authenticators are ofter wrong both ways. Passing fakes, and failing authentic ones.. Don't take it personally. Honestly, I'd never submit something I got in person. Do I really need someone to tell me that something I know is real, might be real? Unless, I was gonna sell it, but often the signatures I've gotten in person, probably aren't worth the cost of submission to sell. Obviously, Cal's a little different...

Again, don't take it personal. If you really want it slabbed, just re-submit it to psa.. And since you know 100% that it's real, someone will eventually get it right..

Roofman4
10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Honestly I submitted the "Cal" because I wanted it encapsulated to match the other cards I have coming, knowing it is real. For the little bit of money I felt it was worth it and my son could have it to enjoy years down the road, little did I expect it to come back as a "fail".

My first submission might be my last, at least for autographs, because it is obvious to me they got an obvious one wrong. The jury is still out on the graded side until I see them. I intentionally submitted cards of varying conditions to see how the come back. Might be my last graded submission too.