PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday To My Friend Mike Sandlock Turns 98 Today 10/17

batsballsbases
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to send a happy Net54 birthday to my friend Mike Sandlock. Turns 98 10/17. And still going strong. I did an interview with Mike for John Dreker and the Pirates blog . A great Guy and a class act! I believe now is the oldest living Pirate And Dodger. Mike lives about 10 minutes from me and I will probably stop by and say hello!

the 'stache
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Please wish Mike a happy birthday for me as well, Al. I hope he has many more birthdays to come. :)

z28jd
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Interview Al mentioned. Tell him happy birthday from me!

Part one: http://blogs.piratesprospects.com/history/mike-sandlock-oldest-living-pirates-player/

Part two: http://blogs.piratesprospects.com/history/mike-sandlock-interview-part-two/

Mark
10-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the links. I check out Pirates Prospects everyday. There is a lot of terrific stuff on there.

z28jd
10-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the links. I check out Pirates Prospects everyday. There is a lot of terrific stuff on there.

Thanks for helping me pay my bills then, Mark! Check out the AFL and Winter League articles daily throughout the off-season (totally shameless plug)

Al actually has a tape recording of the day with Mr Sandlock, great stuff to hear it directly from him

batsballsbases
10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi John,
I went by the house and his son who Im good friends with told me hes out on the putting green with his friends who are taking him to lunch after Golf! Nice!I told Damon to wish his father a happy birthday and to let him know people were thinking of him !

Rich Klein
10-17-2013, 11:17 AM
the 3rd oldest living baseball player after a FB HOFer (Ace Parker) and Connie Marrero.

Regards
Rich

the 'stache
10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
We really need to treasure guys like Mike. They are our connection to a golden era long gone. The game has some great players now, but as much as I enjoy still watching, it will never have the charm of the past.

Mike was a teammate to some of my all-time favorites, Warren Spahn as a Boston Brave in 1942 (he was Warren's roomie, and he and Spahnie got called up together! Casey Stengel was their manager!), Pee Wee Reese with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946, and Ralph Kiner and "Big Poison" Paul Waner with the 1953 Pittsburgh Pirates. He was also Roy Campanella's teammate in Montreal in 1947, then the Dodgers' AAA affiliate.

Here's a great interview done with Mike in April of this year (appearing in the New York Times), for those that are interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sports/baseball/oldest-living-brooklyn-dodger-mike-sandlock-remembers-ebbets-field.html?_r=0

Mike's first trip to Yankee Stadium was in 1931, and as a 15 year old, he saw Babe Ruth hit a home run over his head in right field. Wow! What a lifetime of memories.

I'd just love to talk with him, maybe sit down and have a beer with him like he used to do with Red Barber.

By the way, Mike has a few baseball cards, too. He appeared in the 1953 Topps set as a member of the Pirates, and in the 1954 Topps set he is depicted as a catcher with the Philadelphia Phillies. He never appeared with Philly at the Major League level, but his contract was purchased by them prior to the 1954 season.

I've decided to make Mike's card my first from the 1953 Topps set. Here it is:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4004/t26y.png

kkkkandp
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I can't even fathom getting to 98 (except when I play golf), so that all by itself is an accomplishment.

It would be really cool, though, to have been a pro sports player of any sort and have met on a peer level, as it were, some of the greats of the game.

Nice article, John! Has anyone ever told you you should write a book? :D

batsballsbases
10-17-2013, 05:29 PM
We really need to treasure guys like Mike. They are our connection to a golden era long gone. The game has some great players now, but as much as I enjoy still watching, it will never have the charm of the past.

Mike was a teammate to some of my all-time favorites, Warren Spahn as a Boston Brave in 1942 (he was Warren's roomie, and he and Spahnie got called up together! Casey Stengel was their manager!), Pee Wee Reese with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946, and Ralph Kiner and "Big Poison" Paul Waner with the 1953 Pittsburgh Pirates. He was also Roy Campanella's teammate in Montreal in 1947, then the Dodgers' AAA affiliate.

Here's a great interview done with Mike in April of this year (appearing in the New York Times), for those that are interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sports/baseball/oldest-living-brooklyn-dodger-mike-sandlock-remembers-ebbets-field.html?_r=0

Mike's first trip to Yankee Stadium was in 1931, and as a 15 year old, he saw Babe Ruth hit a home run over his head in right field. Wow! What a lifetime of memories.

I'd just love to talk with him, maybe sit down and have a beer with him like he used to do with Red Barber.

By the way, Mike has a few baseball cards, too. He appeared in the 1953 Topps set as a member of the Pirates, and in the 1954 Topps set he is depicted as a catcher with the Philadelphia Phillies. He never appeared with Philly at the Major League level, but his contract was purchased by them prior to the 1954 season.

I've decided to make Mike's card my first from the 1953 Topps set. Here it is:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4004/t26y.png

Bill,
You are so right . When I did the interview ,the stories he told me were just amazing! Talked about Jackie Robinson and how they would "bless" a rookies new pair of spikes with tobacco juice! Boy once people like Mike are gone the stories will be lost forever. Sad to think that.

the 'stache
10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Bill,
You are so right . When I did the interview ,the stories he told me were just amazing! Talked about Jackie Robinson and how they would "bless" a rookies new pair of spikes with tobacco juice! Boy once people like Mike are gone the stories will be lost forever. Sad to think that.

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when he was telling 'em. :D

The NY Times article mentioned that while he hadn't been a part of the '47 Brooklyn team that Jackie was a part of in breaking the color barrier, he was there during spring training, and refused to sign the petition looking to force Jack off the team. He was the opening day shortstop the year before, though he was primarily a catcher. I wonder if he ever got to throw to Jackie over at first (he began at first before moving over to second). The story also mentions how Campy credits Mike with helping him defensively as a catcher. That's pretty incredible. These are the little tidbits that need to be saved. They add extra wrinkles to the history of the game, and Mike was certainly in the middle of it all. I am looking forward to reading John's interview after dinner.

I don't even want to think about any more of these older greats passing. I was in mourning for a week when Musial died. It's going to be really hard for me when Ralph Kiner, Ernie Banks and Hank Aaron start to go. I really hope that these interviews, pictures and videos are well preserved for future generations.

campyfan39
10-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Great thread Al.

He was kind enough to sign my 53 topps card of him ttm just a few weeks ago.
Great handwriting for his age. Blessings to him!
Chris

batsballsbases
10-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Great thread Al.

He was kind enough to sign my 53 topps card of him ttm just a few weeks ago.
Great handwriting for his age. Blessings to him!
Chris

Chris,
Hes just so genuine when you talk to him. Will sign anything put in front of him for FREE!! His signature is starting to get a little shaky but you can still tell its mike sandlock!

z28jd
10-17-2013, 07:03 PM
I can't even fathom getting to 98 (except when I play golf), so that all by itself is an accomplishment.

It would be really cool, though, to have been a pro sports player of any sort and have met on a peer level, as it were, some of the greats of the game.

Nice article, John! Has anyone ever told you you should write a book? :D

You haven't bought the last three books I wrote!

You should see if you can get a golf date with Mr Sandlock, sounds like he would beat you :)

kkkkandp
10-17-2013, 07:06 PM
You should see if you can get a golf date with Mr Sandlock, sounds like he would beat you :)

If he can shoot his age, he might! :p

t213
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Here's my Mike Sandlock - 1950 Hages Dairy. I've been sitting on this card for a long time. I'm not sure if this one has been added to the SCD checklist yet; it's not listed in mine from a few years ago.

Andy

williamcohon
10-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Happy birthday to Mike! And thank you for this post.