PDA

View Full Version : Those red link/hover over ads

steve B
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Anyone else find them annoying?

Revenue is important to support the site, but those just bug me.

Steve B

Leon
10-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Steve B

What are you talking about? A lot of things bug me. I am not aware of what you are saying....though I get approached every day about instituting those I am not aware of any on this board.

steve B
10-16-2013, 10:05 AM
As you can see, they're a bit random. I've had them for a couple days.

I'll have to check if they're from something on my machine that got past the AV.

Anyone else getting them?

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=12465

Leon
10-16-2013, 10:09 AM
As you can see, they're a bit random. I've had them for a couple days.

I'll have to check if they're from something on my machine that got past the AV.

Anyone else getting them?

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=12465

That is unacceptable. I have never allowed those to happen on this forum and I have never seen one either (or maybe I did once and wiped it out, I am not positive). If I can pinpoint one maybe I can get to the bottom of it. But suffice it to say I don't want those on this board and won't allow them.

ZachS
10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I've never gotten one of those on this site. Are you sure it's not something attached to your browser?

Like one of those annoying Bing search tool add-ons or something like that.

ETA - what browser are you using? Have you tried using a different browser to see if the problem crosses over?

glchen
10-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Steve B

I don't see this either on my PC. You may have some adware that you unintentionally installed on your computer. I had that before, and it was a huge pain to remove.

ZachS
10-16-2013, 10:41 AM
That's what I'm thinking. It's probably either adware or a plug-in.

steve B
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking it's Yahoo "search assist" Probably started along with fantasy football.

I'm looking for a way to turn it off, so far with no luck. Their directions on yahoo answers are impossible since the way to get to the controls doesn't exist. Plus I can't ask or reply to questions (My limit is 0 per day?! )

It's been that sort of week with the computer and a bunch of other stuff. :(

I'll figure out how to get rid of it one way or another.

Sorry to bother you all. It started recently and since it's on other sites I figured that was why.

Steve B

10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
You've got malware, sir.

ZachS
10-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Not sure what browser you're using... but you should be able to find it under preferences or add-ons or plug-ins, something like that. There should be an option to disable.

Or you could see if it's listed in your add/remove Programs and remove it from your computer completely.

the 'stache
10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
I have nothing like that in Chrome.

steve B
10-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Two ad places blocked and one ad software deleted. Gone I think.

Some websites have it as part of the site, but these were from the software. Not easy to find either, since until the ads are disabled from the ad the program doesn't show up in the programs list.

Sorry to bother everyone.

Steve B

Leon
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Two ad places blocked and one ad software deleted. Gone I think.

Some websites have it as part of the site, but these were from the software. Not easy to find either, since until the ads are disabled from the ad the program doesn't show up in the programs list.

Sorry to bother everyone.

Steve B

No prob Steve. I have had those things before too and did as someone just suggested and went to "my programs" and deleted it from there. I think those things are quite annoying and wouldn't want them on this site.

steve B
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
What was especially bad with this one was that until it was disabled by clicking on the question mark in the hover over ad the program that was doing it didn't show in "my programs"

Stranger still, the uninstall process had an exit interview of sorts......They got some unkind answers today.

Steve B