PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Topps Super Packaging???

tulsaboy
10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
First time poster, so please be gentle...

Does anyone have a good idea as to how the 1986 Topps Supers were packaged? I am familiar with the 1984 and 1985 versions, as packs and boxes of those seem relatively plentiful. But a long few hours of searching the internet and other resources hasn't been fruitful yet. I would have thought Topps would have continued to package them in an ersatz 1986 wax look, just like they did with the 1984 and 1985 versions.

I would love to know if anyone has an idea about this subject, or if they have packs or boxes in their collection that might shed some light on the subject. Individual cards seem plentiful at various card store sites and on ebay. But packs and boxes? Nada.

Thanks!

kevin

ALR-bishop
10-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Welcome

I have all 3 Super sets but like you only have packs for 84 & 85. I do have this for 86

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img335.jpg

tulsaboy
10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Neat item Al! Thanks for sharing. Someone on another forum said they had received samples in 1986 like yours along with an order form. I just find it hard to believe that packs and boxes aren't floating around.

ALR-bishop
10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I seem to recall that maybe they were send away redemptions or order by mail sets. Trying to confirm

Gmrson
10-17-2013, 02:24 PM
I was working at a card shop in 1986. As I remember, they came in bulk vending boxes. Ours had a few blankbacks as well.

tulsaboy
10-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Mike- not to be dense, but I'm just curious- do you mean that the Supers came in their own vending package, or that they were "bonus" cards in vending cases of regular cards?
kevin

Gmrson
10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Welcome

I have all 3 Super sets but like you only have packs for 84 & 85. I do have this for 86

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img335.jpg

Cool sample Al! Weren't these made on the brown stock-not white?

Mike- not to be dense, but I'm just curious- do you mean that the Supers came in their own vending package, or that they were "bonus" cards in vending cases of regular cards?
kevin

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that. It was a seperate order/release. Topps did a vending release as well with one of their "Leaders" sets too. I remember us getting the '86 or '88 (same style-so not sure which?).

tulsaboy
10-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks. I am pretty sure that the 86 minis were offered in vending boxes.

dodgerfanjohn
10-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Are you sure about the vending boxes? It took me a long time to buy that 86 super set because it pops up infrequently on ebay and I kept getting outbid. I never once saw a vending box and I would think that would pop up. It was my impression that these were a mail in item.

Gmrson
10-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Are you sure about the vending boxes? It took me a long time to buy that 86 super set because it pops up infrequently on ebay and I kept getting outbid. I never once saw a vending box and I would think that would pop up. It was my impression that these were a mail in item.

Well, it was 27 years ago...but I feel pretty confident about remembering sorting these into sets and getting some blankbacks. (My memory is strangely really solid-baffles friends and family the stuff I recall and yet I still fall a little short on the Jeopardy quiz :) ).

In the same sense you think they would pop up on Ebay, I would think there would be some sort of offer card that pops up as well, since you would think it would have a player on it, so be collected.