PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I'm outing anything here

gnaz01
10-14-2013, 07:26 PM
But does anyone think this is real??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321219025872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bobfreedman
10-14-2013, 07:42 PM
I saw this on eBay as well and wondered the same thing? This is mine and they very different. I do not know if mine is from the top or something entirely different?

Bestdj777
10-14-2013, 07:43 PM
My gut reaction is that it is not real. The label just does not look like it belongs to the box. I have no experience with this area of collecting though, so I may be wrong.

Leon
10-15-2013, 08:10 AM
My gut reaction is that it is not real. The label just does not look like it belongs to the box. I have no experience with this area of collecting though, so I may be wrong.

My gut tells me it's not good too. The fact the seller goes on to corroborate the box being real, by a few different factors, does nothing for the Wagner picture on it. It reminds me of the back of a certain T206 Wags that is good while the front, not so good. I don't like it.

jcmtiger
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
It looks handmade to me.

Joe

1880nonsports
10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
death in the family so no time to look into this closely but couple QUICK thoughts - the name on the side of the box would likely be the same as the brand name on the label and the top doesn't appear to be attached in the usual manner and it's hard to figure out what is on the box top. Something seems strange with relation to the factory debossing on the bottom of the box and the dating of the tax stamp. On the other side - I DID look closely at the "inner" label and the raised embossment would be extremely difficult to replicate. Even without scrutinizing the listing more closely I wouldn't buy it......... If someone needs me to look into this more seriously I will - not an expert but I have been around a bit. I'm also casually friendly with the mostly retired Tony Hyman - NO-ONE knows more about cigar boxes and advertising than he does. I also have a small archive and a guide or two I can refer to.

BTW - the name for the real label shown in the thread is an "outer" label - I'll leave you to figure out where one goes :o Generally the theme/image would be the same on both labels (there ARE exceptions as cigar box and label production was dictated by their cost of production, stock, and need).

no guarantees whether written or implied

khkco4bls
10-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I own several boxes. The framed piece is a side of the box label which would usually carry onto the bottom of the box. I am not convinced. National league and wagner on the inside. Why not hans wagner box. It doesn't add up.

khkco4bls
10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Also the image is not clear especially the background players. The lithography on cigar boxes are usually very clear.

steve B
10-15-2013, 06:59 PM
The embossed bits also look odd. More like glitter on a bead of glue than metallic ink.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I'd think it's no good.

Steve B

1880nonsports
10-15-2013, 07:37 PM
no way this is what it's being sold as. I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. Neat only that it's a marriage AND a fake!

Bestdj777
10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
no way this is what it's being sold as. I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. Neat only that it's a marriage AND a fake!

Real box, fake label?

1880nonsports
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
the cautions notices and factory info look right for the cheap box (boite?) also that paper leafy edge on the left of the box looks to be an out label with the same motiff as the 4 corners on the box top. The trim on the top and bottom look the same. Probably those 2 things in the middle are bats and the national league stamping on the front side looks period but no slam dunk without seeing other elements - often the style of the cigar would be placed there. The inner label appears slightly out of position, doesn't match the outside, has no depth or clarity, the embellishment appears hand-applied, and the percieved toning to damage to age thing looks off. I haven't had time to lo0k-up the "national league" name but despite my crs - rings a bell and there are FEW unknown commercially produced (not "on demand" custom brands) BB and sport boxes - at least through a label or sample book if not an actual box. Again for the record - I don't have it in hand (IMPORTANT), I'm no expert, nor did I sleep at the "Inn" that I can remember - however it's pretty easy to opine that this is a poorly executed mish-mosh of some intellectually challenged miscreant.