PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding score cards

Eric72
10-14-2013, 04:34 PM
I recently took a look at a Phillies program in my collection. It is from May 23, 1959, and the person attending that day took time to record the game on the enclosed score card.

My question is this. Does the penciled-in account of the game add to or subtract from the value of this piece? A few Hall of Famers (Hank Aaron, Ed Mathews, Warren Spahn, Richie Ashburn, and Sparky Anderson) played that day, if this factors into the equation.

I look forward to your replies and thank you, in advance, for any help you can give.

Best Regards,

Eric

Hot Springs Bathers
10-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I just picked up a group of 88 scorecards from 1959 to 1976 and they have the neatest handwriting and most detailed game accounts I have ever seen.

I keep going back to them to read about each game. The Munson-Fisk fight game was there along with some Rose, Brock and Gibson highlights. A 1973 Philles edition had a small article about their coming star at third base!

Great stuff!

Eric72
10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I just picked up a group of 88 scorecards from 1959 to 1976 and they have the neatest handwriting and most detailed game accounts I have ever seen.

I keep going back to them to read about each game. The Munson-Fisk fight game was there along with some Rose, Brock and Gibson highlights. A 1973 Philles edition had a small article about their coming star at third base!

Great stuff!

Mike,

Agreed...great stuff. Upon looking into this program further, I noticed that Hank Aaron had a bad day that afternoon. He went 1 for 4, which lowered his batting average to .462. One hell of a start to the season, if you ask me.

Best Regards,

Eric

Scott Garner
10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Eric,
In answer to your original question, it absolutely depends on the collector!
I've always preferred a neatly scored program to a mint, unscored version.
I believe that it adds color to the game through the eyes of the patron that took the time to score it.

BTW, scoring games is absolutely a lost art today. Very few fans even know how to do it, FWIW...

Eric72
10-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Eric,
In answer to your original question, it absolutely depends on the collector!
I've always preferred a neatly scored program to a mint, unscored version.
I believe that it adds color to the game through the eyes of the patron that took the time to score it.

BTW, scoring games is absolutely a lost art today. Very few fans even know how to do it, FWIW...

Scott,

Finding the neatly (and correctly...I checked the box score for 5/23/1959) scored program was a great experience. In addition to discovering Hank Aaron's torrid start to the '59 season, I also learned that he was batting third that day, instead of cleanup. Additionally, Warren Spahn was yanked in the fourth inning, and the patron who scored this game from the stands spilled a few drops of mustard on the scorecard.

My wife and I attended a Phillies game a few years back. Not only did we actually follow the action on the field, we filled out the scorecard. The fan sitting next to her literally asked, out loud, "what are you doing?" Lost art, indeed.

Best Regards,

Eric

Scott Garner
10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Scott,

Finding the neatly (and correctly...I checked the box score for 5/23/1959) scored program was a great experience. In addition to discovering Hank Aaron's torrid start to the '59 season, I also learned that he was batting third that day, instead of cleanup. Additionally, Warren Spahn was yanked in the fourth inning, and the patron who scored this game from the stands spilled a few drops of mustard on the scorecard.

My wife and I attended a Phillies game a few years back. Not only did we actually follow the action on the field, we filled out the scorecard. The fan sitting next to her literally asked, out loud, "what are you doing?" Lost art,
indeed.
BTW,
Best Regards,

Eric

Eric,
You gotta love the spilled mustard! That's what I call definitely game used!

I collect no-hitter tickets dating back to 1901. One of my personal favorite no-hitter tickets is to Juan Marichal's no-no in 1963. The front of the ticket looks great. The back of the ticket has prehistoric crusty mustard on it. It's awesome. I can only imagine what it was like to be this the lucky fan as he/she witnessed "The Dominican Dandy" hurl one of his best games ever...

ramram
10-14-2013, 07:59 PM
As an avid scorebook collector I obviously feel the biggest value is having a well scored game. I have scorebooks that literally cover thousands of games, from the 1860's to the 1950's and from Negro Leagues to World Series games. In many cases its the only recorded play by play of those games left for history. It also places you on the sideline for those games, often along side some of the greatest players in history. I've even begun to enjoy it more now that I score my son's baseball games (albeit on an Ipad).

A big thumbs up to all of you fellow scorecard/scorebook collectors!

Rob M.

BradH
10-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Rob - that must be an amazing collection.

I always take note of fans who score games in the various parks I travel to and it is indeed a dying art.

I don't actively buy these, but pick them up from time to time in various lots or at flea markets. My answer to Eric's original question is that I think they are more valuable when scored. Especially when the whole game is scored and it's legible.

Nashvol
10-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Personally, I would rather have them scored, especially if done neatly. I like the idea of scorecards having a special provenance - and if a special game has taken place, even better! That should add extra value to it, too...

barrysloate
10-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Collector opinions vary but I too prefer a scorecard that has been accurately scored. If something important occurred in the game- say a future Hall of Famer hit a home run- it will add value to it. And it allows you to research the game, something you couldn't do if it were unscored.

Here's an interesting note about your scorecard: After the Philles series the Braves took on the Pittsburgh Pirates, and three days later, on May 26, 1959, they faced Harvey Haddix who threw a 12 inning perfect game against them (and lost in the 13th). If it wasn't scored, there would be no story.