PDA

View Full Version : Toleteros: A little background?

GregMitch34
10-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Getting interested in obtaining some of these as I've just noticed how cool some of them look. Know little about them except there's a 1948-49 issue that's B&W and more pricy, and a 50-51 that's color and cheap (and also has an "in action" issue). Is there more interest and value in these today or not? I know the Josh Gibson is a biggie and there are the occasional Jim Gilliams and so on. But your basic common 50-51: no change in value over the year? Thanks.

bcbgcbrcb
10-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Greg:

There were four major Toleteros sets produced during consecutive winter league seasons in Puerto Rico from 1948-49, 1949-50 & 1950-51 (2) including the In-Action set that you mentioned from 1950-51. The first two sets were black and white pictures and the two 1950-51 issues were in color.

As you mentioned, the Josh Gibson card is the most valuable but a few others including Willard Brown, Hilton Smith & Leon Day will also bring four-figure numbers. In general, the earliest set carries a little more value and the latest carries less value with the In-Action cards generally being the cheapest by far.

I know this is a shameless plug but..........I have just four more copies of my Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide left. Inside, there are images of all of the major Negro League cards, including the four Toleteros issues. Let me know if you would like to reserve a copy.