PDA

View Full Version : OT Red Sox/Tigers and Cardinals/Dodgers

Pages : [1] 2

conor912
10-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty excited about the old school match-ups. This post season has already been a killer and I'm really excited about what's to come.

GoldenAge50s
10-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I've watched almost every game since the Wild Card games started & there has been some terrific, exciting baseball! Looking forward to the Championship Series in both Lgs, esp. since the Red Sox are in the mix!

itjclarke
10-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Man, I feel bad for the A's.. how many times in a row can a team lose a deciding game 5?!?!? by my count, that is now 6 straight game 5 ALDS losses since 2000.

Agree, the LCS matchups are classic.. especially Dodgers/Cards.

RCMcKenzie
10-11-2013, 12:24 AM
I think Dodgers vs. Tigers with Dodgers taking it. Sorry to see Athletics go today.

kmac32
10-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Dodgers and Sox WS

scooter729
10-11-2013, 06:48 AM
I'll be at Fenway for any Sox home games in the ALCS - can't wait for it to start tomorrow night!

wolf441
10-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Hoping for Red Sox vs. Dodgers. Two major markets, two cornerstone franchises. The huge trade last year. Rematch of 1916 World Series. LA style (Kershaw, Hanley, Puig) vs. Boston grit (Pedroia, Gomes, Napoli, et al...). Some great story lines. Reminds me of the 1984 NBA finals match up...

jcmtiger
10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
"BLESS YOU BOYS" GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Joe

Iron Horse
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm cheering for the Dodgers, and my favorite player i grew up with Don Mattingly. Hope he gets a ring as he deserves one :)

brob28
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm cheering for the Dodgers, and my favorite player i grew up with Don Mattingly. Hope he gets a ring as he deserves one :)

I was at game 4 of ALDS in Detroit - Amazing hard fought game. To me the Red Sox bullpen and Cabrera's health issues give the nod to the Sox in this series.

kmac32
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Anybody but the Cardinals!!!

chaddurbin
10-11-2013, 11:52 AM

yes! dodgers did america a favor by knocking out those self-righteous braves aholes now can they shut up those insufferable cards' fans also please.

slipk1068
10-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Yeah didn't know who to root for Cards or Pirates because I dislike them both. At least, Tony La Russa is retired, so I don't have to listen to broadcasters tell me how smart he is while he drags the game out for 4 hours. Also, glad the Pirates are gone. With the way their fans treated David Wright leading up to the All-Star game, I could never pull for them again. As if Pedro Alavarez is Babe Ruth...

packs
10-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm hoping my hero Donnie Baseball can get himself a ring this year.

yanks12025
10-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Tigers win the series unless Ortiz drinks some more roid shakes. Sox don't deserve to make or win the World Series.

perezfan
10-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Was hoping for some "new blood" this year. Guess it will have to wait yet again. I will be happy as long as the Cardinals don't win again. I've honestly never seen a team like this, where everything goes right when it matters most (seeing eye singles, bloopers that somehow fall in, opposing teams' errors at critical times, bad calls by the umps when it matters most, etc.)

I still haven't gotten over that phantom Infield Fly Rule a couple of years ago. Everytime I see it replayed, it looks like the "fix" was in. I know they have oodles of talent, an amazing farm system, and a great fan base... but the luck factor is always firmly on their side. Cardinals fans will disagree, but as a long-suffering Reds fan, I had to rant. :(

Beatles Guy
10-11-2013, 12:53 PM
yes! dodgers did america a favor by knocking out those self-righteous braves aholes now can they shut up those insufferable cards' fans also please.

We're not all insufferable :) I'll take another Tigers/Cardinals series, though I'd like to have another crack at the Sox.

Beatles Guy
10-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Was hoping for some "new blood" this year. Guess it will have to wait yet again. I will be happy as long as the Cardinals don't win again. I've honestly never seen a team like this, where everything goes right when it matters most (seeing eye singles, bloopers that somehow fall in, opposing teams' errors at critical times, bad calls by the umps when it matters most, etc.)

I still haven't gotten over that phantom Infield Fly Rule a couple of years ago. Everytime I see it replayed, it looks like the "fix" was in. I know they have oodles of talent, an amazing farm system, and a great fan base... but the luck factor is always firmly on their side. Cardinals fans will disagree, but as a long-suffering Reds fan, I had to rant. :(

Serious question for you. The Reds have had some good teams recently, yet they struggle to draw fans. What's the deal?

Sean
10-11-2013, 02:42 PM
anybody but the cardinals!!!

+1

Sean
10-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Man, I feel bad for the A's.. how many times in a row can a team lose a deciding game 5?!?!? by my count, that is now 6 straight game 5 ALDS losses since 2000.

Agree, the LCS matchups are classic.. especially Dodgers/Cards.

I was at the game last night. I could see from the 2nd inning on that they weren't going to get to Verlander. And after Cabrera's home run it was almost hopeless.
The A's haven't scored on Verlander in 30 straight innings in the postseason.

But Detroit's run is over. Boston should beat them, and I think Los Angeles will make it from the NL.

Joe_G.
10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Greatly enjoyed Detroit's series with the A's. Detroit's starting pitching can hang with the best of them, as can their offense despite Cabrera's diminished capacity. As already mentioned, the bull pen will be the big question mark. Furthermore, their defense is at risk of spotting the Red Sox a couple runs over the series which could prove costly. I'll be cheering for Detroit all the way, but wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox and Dodgers in the World Series.

Go Tigers!

jcmtiger
10-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Serious question for you. The Reds have had some good teams recently, yet they struggle to draw fans. What's the deal?

Hey, it's Ohio!!!

cyseymour
10-11-2013, 10:14 PM

I think it's because Cincinnati is predominately African-american. Baseball is not their #1 sport.

DaveW
10-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I was hoping for A's vs Pirates - the Low Budget Series

conor912
10-11-2013, 11:50 PM
A 13th inning walk-off to end game 1 of the NLCS? This is shaping up to be an epic October.

ls7plus
10-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Tigers win the series unless Ortiz drinks some more roid shakes. Sox don't deserve to make or win the World Series.

The Tigers won't be able to overcome "Muley" (mules are both stubborn and stupid--hence the appropriate nickname!) Leland's propensity to blow it. Plus, his Tiger teams are perpetually tight as a drum--its tough to play baseball when rigor mortis has set in. See the 2006 and 2012 losses to inferior teams.

Unfortunately, I've had a love/hate relationship with this team for many, many years, and will undoubtedly tune in on the big, high-def screen anyway!

Best to all,

Larry

Ladder7
10-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Boston's wailng Wally. LGRS!

yanks12025
10-12-2013, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=Ladder7;1194203]Boston's wailng Wally. LGRS![/

They need to learn to shave and show some class.

bigfish
10-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Another sour Yankee fan. Arod is a real class act. Redsox in 6 world series champs. Cheers

Vintageclout
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=yanks12025;1194219]
Another sour Yankee fan. Arod is a real class act. Redsox in 6 world series champs. Cheers

I thought you were driving to Chantilly...surprised you had time to even post!
LOL!!!

Vintageclout
10-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Likewise, I am a huge Yankee fan, but I would gladly take 1st place and a playoff spot over clean shaven faces!!!

Joe T.

johnmh71
10-12-2013, 08:36 AM

And for what team does ARod play for?

yanks12025
10-12-2013, 08:43 AM

And for what team does ARod play for?

Oh and who does David Ortiz play for? I love how sox fans forget Ortiz failed the SAME DRUG TEST that arod did. But no it's ok that Ortiz is a user and is cheered for and is treated like god. But arod is treated like a serial killer. And I'm not a fan of arod, he should be banned for life and so should all cheaters.

And I'm not sour at all, I'm fine with my team missing out. They can't win every year and I don't expect them too.

Ladder7
10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
To the hater guy. The Sox are very upset by your opinions :mad:

Ladder7
10-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Best record in MLB and they should change... Brilliant idea Einstein

johnmh71
10-12-2013, 02:49 PM

+1

yanks12025
10-12-2013, 03:02 PM
You guys can have best record in one season all you want. I'd rather have the 27 rings.

yanks12025
10-12-2013, 03:05 PM

I don't expect them to change and actually show class. Class is not the Red Sox moto. Their moto is beer and chicken everyday.

bigfish
10-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Each post makes you look worse. Ortiz vs Arod. The both cheated... Arod is much more of a douchebag for multiple reasons. Please defend.

Cheers,

toby peterson
tp7171@yahoo.com

red sox in 6 world series champs

bigfish
10-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I hope you are enjoying sunny Florida...

Toby

conor912
10-12-2013, 05:03 PM
LA in a quick 0-2 hole. With a 4pm start time, I went to go check the score at 6:30 and the game was over.

sox1903wschamp
10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't expect them to change and actually show class. Class is not the Red Sox moto. Their moto is beer and chicken everyday.

There is a ton of irony in this post.

Orioles1954
10-12-2013, 05:27 PM
As an Orioles die-hard who hates both the Yankees and Red Sox, I will take the Yankees 100 times out of 100 over the Faux Sox. Although I find both fan bases annoying, I have always found Yankees fans to have much more of a knowledge of both their history and overall game than "Bandwagon Nation". The Red Sox have always fashioned themselves as a working class franchise despite a consistent 100 million dollar payroll. At least the Yankees know they have an economic advantage. The Red Sox are just fake with their holier-than-thou working class/scruffy facial hair nonsense. The willing omission of "Big Roidy" and Ramirez from the Mitchell Report along with ESPN drooling over them at every turn puts it over the top for me.

johnmh71
10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
As an Orioles die-hard who hates both the Yankees and Red Sox, I will take the Yankees 100 times out of 100 over the Faux Sox. Although I find both fan bases annoying, I have always found Yankees fans to have much more of a knowledge of both their history and overall game than "Bandwagon Nation". The Red Sox have always fashioned themselves as a working class franchise despite a consistent 100 million dollar payroll. At least the Yankees know they have an economic advantage. The Red Sox are just fake with their holier-than-thou working class/scruffy facial hair nonsense. The willing omission of "Big Roidy" and Ramirez from the Mitchell Report along with ESPN drooling over them at every turn puts it over the top for me.

When was the last Orioles championship season? 1983?

conor912
10-12-2013, 06:02 PM

....but you're not bitter.

Ladder7
10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I hope you are enjoying sunny Florida...

Toby

We're having a blast. Lucky lotsa Massholes here. Yanks fans too (which is Okay too) Gratefully, moreso than Rays fans. God, we've been over to the Trop too many times. Miss Fenway terribly. Hope all is well at home.

bigfish
10-12-2013, 06:16 PM
all in

perezfan
10-12-2013, 07:42 PM

I think it's because they know the season will inevitably end in bitter disappointment? Plus it's a smaller market to draw from, a bit less affluent, and a disillusioned fan base? Their attendance isn't horrible.... Cincy typically falls in around the middle of the pack.

That said, I think St. Louis is one of the few markets remaining in which baseball is still bigger than football. Your fans have a leg up on just about every other town.... simply wonderful and knowledgeable fans.

As for today's game.... it was the passed ball by Ellis which allowed Freese to go to 3rd (and ultimatetly score on a sac fly, for the game's only run). Otherwise, no run would've scored. Cardinals are simply the masters of capitalizing on others' little mistakes.

Last night, Ellis would've scored the winning run, and although Beltran's throw beat him home, he was never actually tagged by Molina. The replay confirmed over and over that there was a collision (yet no tag). God, it must be great to be a Cardinals fan :(

Lgarza99
10-12-2013, 08:29 PM
The Cardinals have monster arms, gonna be tough to beat. I'd like to see Cards vs Tigers, but Game 1 in Boston is a must. Great post season this far.

conor912
10-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Man, Sanchez is nasty tonight. A no-no and 12 K's thru 6.....

perezfan
10-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but he's thrown a lot of pitches. What a dilemma for Leland, if he still has a no-no through 8 innings, but has thrown 130+ pitches. They'll need him later in the series, so they may not let him finish :eek:

conor912
10-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but he's thrown a lot of pitches. What a dilemma for Leland, if he still has a no-no through 8 innings, but has thrown 130+ pitches. They'll need him later in the series, so they may not let him finish :eek:

Yeah, he's out. I wonder how many postseason pitchers have been yanked with a no-no intact.

Vol
10-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Red Sox couldnt get to the Tigers tonight. Excellent pitching (how about Veras wicked curve balls?) and some favorable borderline calls from Joe West.

Now they have to deal with Scherzer and Mr. Verlander. :eek:

jcmtiger
10-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Great game for the Tiger pitchers tonight, lost track but I think 16 strikeouts. 9 hits for Detroit, but we left to many men on base. But, a Great win at Boston to put them in a hole, with our best pitchers in the next 2 games.

Joe

conor912
10-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Red Sox couldnt get to the Tigers tonight. Excellent pitching (how about Veras wicked curve balls?) and some favorable borderline calls from Joe West.

Now they have to deal with Scherzer and Mr. Verlander. :eek:

Yeah, West was all over the f*ing place tonight. Not a good game for him, by any means. That said, the Sox failed to adjust and just took too many good pitches.

nolemmings
10-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Joe West didn't cost Boston squat. They squared up 2-3 balls all night and managed one bloop single. They struck out 17 times, and kept looking for the umps to bail them out. Fox trax or whatever it's called, while not perfect, showed that West was right far more often than not and that even the misses were borderline. My only criticism of Joe West is that he didn't toss that whiny puke Victorino after the second hissy-fit he threw.

Tigers were the better team tonight, and won despite Leyland, who should just go into the clubhouse after the 6th inning and smoke until he passes out.

Joe_G.
10-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Yeah, West was all over the f*ing place tonight. Not a good game for him, by any means. That said, the Sox failed to adjust and just took too many good pitches.

I thought Joe West did a fine job. He missed only a couple calls all night and they went both ways (some for Boston, some for Detroit).

Buster Olney reported after the game that the Red Sox were frustrated. They couldn't read Sanchez, at times taking out their frustrations on home plate umpire Joe West. Buster continued to explain how some of the players viewed replay of the suspect bad calls and came to the conclusion that the right calls were made. Shane Victorino, for example, (after watching replay of his at bats) was reported to say "a couple of those that I thought he got wrong, he got right". The Red Sox seemed to disagree with not only Joe West at home, but also the 1st & 3rd base umpires on partial swings. It began to get old after awhile.

It was a pretty intense game to watch, looking forward to game 2.

freakhappy
10-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Very exciting postseason so far...definitely the best four teams IMO.

I enjoy watching good pitching...that's baseball at it's best! I'm sure we will see some offense sooner rather than later from these clubs. Far too talented lineups for these teams not to eventually hit.

Whoever makes it to the Series, it should be a great matchup!

yanks12025
10-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Last night shows what type of character the Red Sox and their fans are. Nothing but cry babies, they booed and chanted a**hole at the ump when he was actually making correct calls. Or they chanted steroids for peralta but cheered for Ortiz.

johnmh71
10-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Last night shows what type of character the Red Sox and their fans are. Nothing but cry babies, they booed and chanted a**hole at the ump when he was actually making correct calls. Or they chanted steroids for peralta but cheered for Ortiz.

How about them Yanks? Oops, wrong postseason.

yanks12025
10-13-2013, 06:41 AM
How about them Yanks? Oops, wrong postseason.

I'd rather not make the postseason, then be embarrassed like the Sox's were last night.

Ladder7
10-13-2013, 07:32 AM
What do hemorrhoids and a Yankees cap have in common?

Eventually, every A-hole gets one.

billyb
10-13-2013, 08:11 AM
After the last two Tiger games, the starting staff is going into today's game with a lot of confidence, not good news for the Red Sox.

Joe_G.
10-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Momentum can swing game to game, inning to inning. Boston has a very potent offense. I hope we don't see a return of the offense we saw September 4th. Everyone Detroit brought in to pitch was hammered at will with the result being 20 runs in 8 innings.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330904102&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-boston-red-sox

scooter729
10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
I was at Fenway last night (early this morning) and that was as frustrating a time I've spent at the park in a long time. Their inability to hit Sanchez had me very nervous now for this series, knowing what arms are in the queue for Detroit.

Lets hope the Sox can get back on track tonight!

johnmh71
10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I'd rather not make the postseason, then be embarrassed like the Sox's were last night.

Better for one game than a whole season.

conor912
10-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Joe West didn't cost Boston squat. They squared up 2-3 balls all night and managed one bloop single. They struck out 17 times, and kept looking for the umps to bail them out. Fox trax or whatever it's called, while not perfect, showed that West was right far more often than not and that even the misses were borderline. My only criticism of Joe West is that he didn't toss that whiny puke Victorino after the second hissy-fit he threw.

Tigers were the better team tonight, and won despite Leyland, who should just go into the clubhouse after the 6th inning and smoke until he passes out.

Not saying West cost them the game. Tigers pitching won that game. I was saying, however, that his zone last night was noticeably larger than in the past. He has historically been known to have a zone the size of a postage stamp. As a Sox fan, I found Boston's inability to adjust hard to watch. Sanchez owned them, for sure.

HRBAKER
10-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Really?

You rather play a whole season and not make the playoffs than endure one one-hit game in the playoffs after having already won one playoff series?

That is certainly an interesting take.

I could care less who wins the series but come on.

Bosox Blair
10-13-2013, 04:26 PM

I can see how you would feel that way...probably reminds you of how the Yankees felt when they were utterly embarrassed by Arizona in 2001...better they never even made the postseason than look so stupid. Two games in a row to start the series getting schooled by Schilling and Johnson...humiliating.

Probably better for you to just watch the Yankees highlights from 2013...a year long retirement party topped with a giant helping of fraud, childishness, epic selfishness and infighting.

Orioles1954
10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
topped with a giant helping of fraud, childishness, epic selfishness and infighting.

Also sounds like the 2011-2012 Red Sox.

HRBAKER
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Also sounds like the 2011-2012 Red Sox. Ortiz is eons more of a fraud than Rodriguez.

Not sure that's possible.

yanks12025
10-13-2013, 09:30 PM
David steroids with a grand slam. Pretty sad cheaters help decide games. Love how fenway fans cheer for their cheater but god forbid another teams players cheated and he gets booed and steroids chanted.

ullmandds
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Detroits wheels have fallen off!

mets41
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Go Cards! Go Sox!

Ladder7
10-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Sour grapes DO make the best whine

conor912
10-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Detroits wheels have fallen off!

I still can't believe what I just saw.

billyb
10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Well,
Jim Leyland did it again. Over managed his bullpen. What an idiot. This manager has done this before and with same results. Someone on this thread said it correctly yesterday, at the end of a game, Leyland should go back in the dugout and smoke his cigarettes and forget about making any calls.

yanks12025
10-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Sour grapes DO make the best whine

At least I'm willing to admit our players cheated unlike hypocrite sox fans. Also enjoy the new record of 32 strikes in 2 games and barely splitting 2 games at home.

Orioles1954
10-13-2013, 10:00 PM
at least i'm willing to admit our players cheated unlike hypocrite sox fans. Also enjoy the new record of 32 strikes in 2 games and barely splitting 2 games at home.

2004*
2007*

TUM301
10-13-2013, 10:05 PM
At least I'm willing to admit our players cheated unlike hypocrite sox fans. Also enjoy the new record of 32 strikes in 2 games and barely splitting 2 games at home.

You`re right I admit it, I`d rather the Sox had been out of it and never made the playoffs at all rather than suffer this weekend`s shameful showing ! P S Throw the Patriots in there with them, embarrassing.

Ladder7
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Team chases down Salty, after driving in game winning ribby!

HRBAKER
10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
This thread has serious entertainment value. Of course Ortiz is cheating, he gets to bat without playing the field.

I guess nobody ever gets booed at Yankee Stadium?

Been there once I can't remember.

conor912
10-13-2013, 11:05 PM

Someone needs a hug

wolf441
10-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Yeah, well I heard that Jeter sliced two shots into the woods on the back nine yesterday, so nobody's perfect.....:D

toledo_mudhen
10-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Do the Cards have a bullpen or what!!!!!!!

Haven't been this excited about the playoffs in many years.

Way to go MLB - you haven't created this kind of stir in a long time

kcohen
10-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Barely splitting two games? Guess one could say the same of the Tigers since the aggregate run count for both teams was the same.

Nothing like fanboy vitriol.

Bosox Blair
10-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Hey,

Remember how the geriatric Yankees got swept out of the ALCS by these same Tigers one year ago? And couldn't get a run off Sanchez? I do. Must have been so embarrassing for Yankees fans...

Jason Carota
10-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Are you sure you entered your correct location you registered here? :)

With all of the celebration last night, how about Hunter's effort? He was REAL close to making an amazing catch.

the 'stache
10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Cardinals fans will disagree, but as a long-suffering Reds fan, I had to rant. :(

No disrespect intended, perezfan, but how are Reds fans "long suffering"? At least you went to the Series, and won it all in 1990. Try being a Brewers fan. The last time Milwaukee celebrated a World Series win...I wasn't even born. And it was a different franchise. :D

And yes, I realize that a Cubs fan will be along shortly to tap me on the shoulder, saying "cry me a river. You think Brewers fans are long suffering? Come spend a day with me at Wrigley. A never-ending funeral marches around our hearts."

As for the playoffs, once the A's and Pirates went out, I lost all interest. I'll watch the Series because I'm a baseball fan, but if the Cardinals win it all again, I'll shove a fork in one of my eyes. I greatly respect the history of the franchise, and their fans are incredibly knowledgeable, but seeing them win it time and time again while my team comes out of the gate, and falls flat on their faces, just gets old. The Cardinals sport the nicest "Air Jordans" every year. The Brewers come out in their floppy shoes accompanied to the sounds of old car horns.

HRBAKER
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
As we learned earlier in the thread, it's all luck. The Cardinals are the luckiest team going. They never have any bad breaks. They went from 1987 until 2004 without appearing in a WS, that's 17 years. IN 1985 they lost their leadoff hitter and NL Rookie of the Year Vince Coleman for the WS when a tarp rolled up on his ankle and he suffered some sort of ligament damage. Then in Game 6 of that series they were the recipients of a call at First Base that was every bit as bad as the "infield fly" call last year which most likely cost them the Series.

In the last 30 years they have been in the WS six times and are 3-3, must not of had much luck half the time.

Cry me a river. Go make your own luck. That's my rant.

the 'stache
10-14-2013, 09:54 PM
The Cardinals are an incredibly well run organization. It's not a coincidence that Baseball America named St. Louis as having the best organizational talent in Major League Baseball prior to the 2013 season. They are great evaluators of young talent (I'd kill to have their scouts in Milwaukee), and they develop their players as well as any other franchise in the bigs.

As a Brewer fan, I now get to look forward to Oscar Taveras kicking our rear ends for the next 15 years. Oh joy, lol.

chaddurbin
10-15-2013, 09:40 AM
now the cards are butthurt because of the dodgers "mickey mouse" celebration for finally scoring some runs, this despite the fact molina doing a jumping fist pump seemingly after every inning. the hypocritical holier-than-thou attitude of some teams are nauseating.

chappy mcchapass wants the game to played the right way...when it's not applied to them.

conor912
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
With all of the celebration last night, how about Hunter's effort? He was REAL close to making an amazing catch.

I agree. I am from Boston but 100% give credit where it's due. I'm glad he's ok. The cop in the bullpen has become a minor celebrity around town. This was the paper yesterday.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/soft_spoken_bullpen_cop_s_big_red_sox_fan_moment_g oes_viral

Anyway, another amazing game today. Lackey stepped up big time.

yanks12025
10-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Tigers choke a win away and looks like they will choke this series away. Should be up 3-0, instead down 2-1 to the gross beards.

Ladder7
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Don't sulk little fella. There's always next year.

yanks12025
10-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm not worried, you guys aren't winning the World Series either way. I'll even bet on it!

GoldenAge50s
10-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Your bitterness & jealousy is showing! Too bad, because you are missing out on enjoying some fantastic Playoff baseball by all teams involved.

Some yrs I'm sad when the Red Sox aren't there, but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of watching the teams that are fight it out!

mets41
10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm rooting for the Cards in the NLCS because I remember 1964.

yanks12025
10-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Your bitterness & jealousy is showing! Too bad, because you are missing out on enjoying some fantastic Playoff baseball by all teams involved.

Some yrs I'm sad when the Red Sox aren't there, but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of watching the teams that are fight it out!

I'm sorry but there's nothing to be jealous of the red sox's.

CharleyBrown
10-16-2013, 03:45 AM
As a Yankees fan, it pains me to say this, but I am actually pulling for the Red Sox this year... they are scrappy as hell and really hustle. I could only wish most of the Yankees played this way.

scooter729
10-16-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm sorry but there's nothing to be jealous of the red sox's.

Not for nothing - you're fine to have your opinion and I hate to be the grammar police, but there's no such thing as "red sox's".

They are the Boston Red Sox (and hopefully soon to be World Champion Boston Red Sox for that matter)!

ullmandds
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
As a die hard Yankees fan...and just a big fan of good baseball...I'm really enjoying the post season so far...may the best team win. Why so much hate Brock...WTF? You're making yankees fans look bad!

obcbobd
10-16-2013, 07:30 AM
You guys can have best record in one season all you want. I'd rather have the 27 rings.

Really? Tell me about the 1936 series. Did you go to any of the games? Ancient history. They've won 1 in the last 10 years and seem to be a mess now.

dabigyankeeman
10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
If this is a Cards-Sox world series, I could care less. Doesnt intrest me in the least. Dodgers - Tigers would be great, but now it would be tough for that to happen. :(

Although I did hear that the Red Sox have promised that if they win it all they will feed hundreds of homeless people using the food particles that have been stuck in those gross tick-infested ugly beards.

sox1903wschamp
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
As a die hard Yankees fan...and just a big fan of good baseball...I'm really enjoying the post season so far...may the best team win. Why so much hate Brock...WTF? You're making yankees fans look bad!

+1

yanks12025
10-16-2013, 01:52 PM

And how am I making Yankee fans look bad? Considering many other fans feel the same way I do and hate the Red Sox.

conor912
10-16-2013, 03:40 PM
There's no such thing as "red sox's".

I think they're in the same league as the Yankees's.

HRBAKER
10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Petulance is the word that comes to mind.

Tabe
10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
To be 100% honest, I feel like he misplayed the ball. He actually overran it. If he takes the right angle, he's at the wall sooner and could very well have caught it. As it was, he ended up kind of having to jump against his own momentum and barely missing it.

ullmandds
10-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Brock... I don't know you from Adam...I guess I can't imagine hating another sports team...maybe besides Philadelphia Eagles fans...it just seems like a waste of energy. And I consider Yankees fans to be some of the most educated and classy fans out there...no reason for such hatred...let their track record as the winningest franchise in the history of AALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of sports speak for itself!

billyb
10-17-2013, 08:22 AM
It is about time the Tiger bats woke up. Now we will see if Sanchez can keep the Sox in check now that they have seen him one time.

tbob
10-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Since I picked the Tigers in 7 games over the Cards in this year's World Series, before the season started, I'm feeling pretty confident in my pick :D

Has any team ever been cheesier acting than the Dodgers? I would have loved to see Puig coming up against Bob Gibson after his "act." It would not have been pretty :eek:

rainier2004
10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Big game 5 tonight...

I liked Leyland moved down Jackson, but still feel Fielder is the black hole in that line-up. Why not move Johnny P into the 2 hole and switch Martinez and Fielder in the lineup...I hate him batting third. Fielder now has 3 RBIs in 22 PO games with Det., good thing he makes more $ than Cabrera or JV. Fielder cannot move runners, cannot run, does not hustle, is a poor fielder and just a lazy in my opinion. I really wish they'd trade that contract away and go after D Price in the offseason, maybe a 3-team trade.

Tanman7baseball
10-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Game 6 today. We got the momentum no doubt. I'm rooting for a Dodgers vs BoSox World Series. It would be one of the best World Series played in years (25 years to be exact). Two scrappy teams with great talent. All around fun baseball too watch. I mean who wants to watch the Cardinals in the World Series? Not I...

chaddurbin
10-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Has any team ever been cheesier acting than the Dodgers? I would have loved to see Puig coming up against Bob Gibson after his "act." It would not have been pretty :eek:

trying to be objective since i'm a fan but i don't think they're "cheesy" at all. mattingly and co (besides puig) say all the right things and try to toe that etiquette line. puig is just a different animal, he plays hard and gives 100% on every play (if he was white they'd call him gritty and full of intensity!). i don't have a problem with him having fun out there...my problem is his aloofness, he sulks when things don't go his way so it takes from his concentration, and he doesn't listen to instructions from his own team.

...but at least they don't pretend to be something they're not.

Tanman7baseball
10-18-2013, 11:09 AM
trying to be objective since i'm a fan but i don't think they're "cheesy" at all. mattingly and co (besides puig) say all the right things and try to toe that etiquette line. puig is just a different animal, he plays hard and gives 100% on every play (if he was white they'd call him gritty and full of intensity!). i don't have a problem with him having fun out there...my problem is his aloofness, he sulks when things don't go his way so it takes from his concentration, and he doesn't listen to instructions from his own team.

...but at least they don't pretend to be something they're not.

Nicely put. The game is changing. Sure there still needs to be etiquette but its evolving to keep the fan base growing. Showmanship and "swag" are things making baseball a sport anybody can watch and be entertained. I love stats, the sequences of pitches to different hitters, history of the team ect... But not many people know or care for those things who aren't actively following baseball.
TBOB I am guessing you are from the era Bob Gibson pitched in so thats why you think the Dodgers are "cheesy". The old timers need to stop complaining (I'm not implying its anyone here btw). Times are changing and so is the game.

GoldenAge50s
10-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Gee, how I wish the Yankees were in these Playoffs! This Red Sox-Tiger series just ain't gettin' it done! Some of the most boring games w/ no excitement or intensity & terrible pitching.:p:p

Where are those Yankees when we need them?:D:D:D

freakhappy
10-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Gee, how I wish the Yankees were in these Playoffs! This Red Sox-Tiger series just ain't gettin' it done! Some of the most boring games w/ no excitement or intensity & terrible pitching.:p:p

'Ol Fred...don't stoop to that level! ;)

So far a great series between the four teams in it...pitching is astounding! Four awesome teams....whoever makes the series, it will be fun to watch!

Tanman7baseball
10-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Cardinals fan trying to rattle Puig and A-Gon

tbob
10-18-2013, 09:41 PM
El Birdos!!!! An easy win and on to the World Series.
The best baseball city in America has a team in the Fall Classic again and with Stan's number on their sleeves....Fitting :D

Stonepony
10-18-2013, 10:23 PM
1++

ALR-bishop
10-18-2013, 10:29 PM
They were cheesy and arrogant and they are gone :) WACHA WACHA

kmac32
10-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Let's repeat the 2004 World Series play per play.

ALR-bishop
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM
1967 or 2004.....1968 or 2006

RGold
10-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Don't forget 1946.....1934. :D:D:D

conor912
10-19-2013, 10:55 AM
A 2004 rematch would be cool, except it would be nice if the Cards actually showed up this time....

triwak
10-19-2013, 02:32 PM
A 2004 rematch would be cool, except it would be nice if the Cards actually showed up this time....

That's what I'm rooting for. Won't get caught up in the whole "Breaking the curse of the Bambino" hoopla this year!!

yanks12025
10-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Tigers choke once again, have never seen a team choke so much in a single series. Go cardinals. :D

Orioles1954
10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Once again Jim Leyland can't manage a bullpen and Prince Fielder is the new "Mr. May" who is not aging gracefully.

conor912
10-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Once again Jim Leyland can't manage a bullpen and Prince Fielder is the new "Mr. May" who is not aging gracefully.

Fielder falling over on his way back to third like a fat kid tripping on his way to the ice cream truck was priceless.

Ladder7
10-19-2013, 10:47 PM
The two best in MLB and identical W/L. Gonna be one for the ages. Cmon Beantown!

drmondobueno
10-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Fielder falling over on his way back to third like a fat kid tripping on his way to the ice cream truck was priceless.

Just because you can hit a baseball real far does not mean you can play the game. The better team won.

TUM301
10-20-2013, 06:51 AM
what`s the deal on Fielder`s contract, something like another 150+ over the next 8 years? I`m sure he`ll bounce, wrong word, back but he looks like he needs to get in shape and maybe start taking a few 1`st pitches. If all goes to script game 7 of the W Series is Halloween nite in Boston. GO SOX !!!!!

JasonD08
10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Cards in 5.

bn2cardz
10-20-2013, 09:16 AM
My wife and I were merely acquaintances in 2006 when I asked a group question if anyone would like to go to the Cardinals NLCS game with me since I had an extra ticket. My now wife said she would like to go. After that she and I spent the rest of the series together, then watched the World Series games together. Then when I had a chance to go to the World Series I asked if she wanted to go. So we went to game 4 together. After that she and I were always together. So we always say that our relationship started with the 2006 Cardinals Post Season.

We did go to game 7 in 2011. I owned game 1 and game 7 tickets though I couldn't afford both so I sold game 1, convinced they were going to go to game 7.

We celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary this year and the Cardinals are back in. Even if they don't win, it is always a nice remembrance of our beginnings when the Cards make the post season.

Comiskey
10-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Just want to know what it's like to even have a chance with a winning team......says a padres fan. 😢

johnmh71
10-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Playing golf somewhere.

Julz24
10-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I hope the Cardinals win the WS but I'm expecting the Red Sox to take it in 6. Either way, should be some fun baseball to watch - especially without the Dodgers around.

the 'stache
10-20-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't know, Miguel. St. Louis has some awfully good pitching.

I can't believe I am pulling for the Cardinals, but I am. Should be a good series. Two storied franchises.

Ladder7
10-24-2013, 07:15 AM
*crickets*

scooter729
10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Steve, everyone is still waiting for Wainwright to catch the little pop-up right to him. They'll get back to you once that catch is made.

bn2cardz
10-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Steve, everyone is still waiting for Wainwright to catch the little pop-up right to him. They'll get back to you once that catch is made.

He shouldn't be expected to catch it unless he calls everyone else off... Oh wait, that is exactly what he did. Nevermind:o

As a Cardinals fan that was a rough game to watch. Not to downplay the skills on Boston's part, but the Cardinals didn't really make it hard on Boston. I hope tonight's game has a lot less errors and really does look like the two best teams playing.

Ladder7
10-24-2013, 07:38 AM
"Catch what? We're just chillin'. Ain't nothin up there."

wolf441
10-24-2013, 07:47 AM
The look on Wainwright's face is priceless!!! c'mon, at least stick your glove out at the last second...

scooter729
10-24-2013, 08:12 AM
It's fun to watch the play in super slo-mo as well....

http://deadspin.com/adam-wainwrights-moment-of-desperation-captured-for-e-1451119515?autoplay=1

conor912
10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Hahahaha. Nice one , Steve. For the first time in my life I actually felt bad for an opposing team. The Cards looked like a bunch of clowns doing a baseball act.

gabrinus
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
How did you feel tonight??

conor912
10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Not as bad. Why they gave Saltalamachia an error on that play, I have no idea. Since when does an error go to the guy CATCHING the bad throw? The only real error was on the pitcher's throw, which ended up not even mattering since the subsequent single scored what ended up being the inning run anyways. It's baseball....anything can happen. On to St. Louis.

Ladder7
10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
The Power of a Faith,

"1904, Two hundred of those annoying Rooters arrived at Grand Central by train after midnight and paraded down Broadway, blowing horns and banging on drums while loudly tootling “Tessie.” Next day,in a game that no one today remembers. NY's Jack Chesbro threw the most famous wild pitch in history, and the Red Sox were champs. Many proclaim, because of their fans." LGRS!

HRBAKER
10-25-2013, 10:25 AM
They gave Salty and error bc he did not come off the base to grab the throw, allowing the trailing runner (Descalso) to move up a base. Had he come off the base and caught the throw (or locked it) Breslow would have never touched or thrown the ball.

conor912
10-25-2013, 10:33 AM
They gave Salty and error bc he did not come off the base to grab the throw, allowing the trailing runner (Descalso) to move up a base. Had he come off the base and caught the throw (or locked it) Breslow would have never touched or thrown the ball.

Sounds like more a mental misjudgment than a physical error to me, but whatever. It didn't change the outcome. That guy still makes it to third and scores on the single anyways.

HRBAKER
10-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Very similar to the mental lapse Wainwright had in Game 1, he never touched the ball.

nolemmings
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I think technically he is charged with the error for not catching a catchable ball, which then allowed a runner to advance to 3b. It's a close/questionable call, as they could have charged it on the throw IMO.

conor912
10-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Very similar to the mental lapse Wainwright had in Game 1, he never touched the ball.

Um, yeah, exactly like that....for which Wainwright was not charged with an error.

HRBAKER
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Um, yeah, exactly like that....for which Wainwright was not charged with an error.

The difference being that Salty touched the ball.
Had he caught it there would have been no throw, no advance, etc.
I can see it either way. The biggest mistake was that the throw didn't go to 2nd.

Orioles1954
10-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Nice to see great umpiring. Made the right call again!

drmondobueno
10-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Unreal chain of events! Talk about having victory snatched out of the mouth of disaster...any rulebook gurus know when the obstruction rule went into the MLB rulebook? Never seen anything like it. Crazy, just nuts.

Beats the hell out of basketball.

GoldenAge50s
10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
I understand the obstruction rule, but one simple question remains--What is the player (Middlebrooks) supposed to do?---suddenly become invisable?

The call was correct for the rule as written, but it is a Bull---t rule!

---and before anyone says Will tripped him by raising his legs, the runner tripped his own self up on Will's back/butt, not on his legs.

No game should be decided like that, no matter who you root for! The rule definitely needs to be rewritten immediately!

Orioles1954
10-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I understand the obstruction rule, but one simple question remains--What is the player (Middlebrooks) supposed to do?---suddenly become invisable?

The call was correct for the rule as written, but it is a Bull---t rule!

---and before anyone says Will tripped him by raising his legs, the runner tripped his own self up on Will's back/butt, not on his legs.

No game should be decided like that, no matter who you root for! The rule definitely needs to be rewritten immediately!

Doesn't matter. Craig has a right to the base and base paths and as long as he is within those lines then the responsibility is on the fielder.

GoldenAge50s
10-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Doesn't matter. Craig has a right to the base and base paths and as long as he is within those lines then the responsibility is on the fielder.

All well & good, but Middlebrooks was flat on the ground w/ the runner basically on top of him---he can't roll away, he can't get up & he certainly can't suddenly become "the invisable man" now, can he?

There is no common sense being applied in allowing what happened, to happen!

Iron Horse
10-26-2013, 10:55 PM
The rule needs to read: In a case like this the runner is safe and returns to the original base (in this case 3rd). Only if the umpires rule there was intent then the runner is awarded the next base even if thrown out.
Just my thought. I am neither a Red Sox nor Cardinals fan, but to end a World Series game like this?

mattsey9
10-26-2013, 10:59 PM
I despise the Cardinals with every fiber of my being, but the call was correct. Buzzard's Luck for Middlebrooks but the rule is the rule. If they don't apply it then it isn't fair to the Cardinals.

I'd love to know what the Cardinals brass have been sacrificing at their Satanic altar beneath their stadium all these years. I'd send some to Chicago...

gabrinus
10-26-2013, 11:17 PM
secret

soxinseven
10-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know if the runner has to touch home plate in that situation? I don't believe Craig did. I know he's awarded home plate on the obstruction call, but isn't it just like a walk off where he needs to make contact with the plate? Just curious.

ctownboy
10-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Fredyoung,

Sucks for you as a Red Sox fan HOWEVER if the rule isn't written like it is then what is to keep Middlebrooks from sticking his leg out and tripping Craig once Middlebrooks sees that the ball is down in the bull pen and Craig is going to easily score the winning run?

Face it, if Middlebrooks does what he did then interference is going to be called and the Cardinals win the game. If Middlebrooks lays on the ground motionless, Craig steps over him and runs unimpeded to home plate and the Cardinals win the game.

David

ctownboy
10-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Iron horse,

On fangraphs, they posted a pole about this play and used rule 7.whatever as the guide. However, that is the wrong rule to use. On the MLB network, they showed the umpires' interview and also Joe Torre from the Commish's office. They used rule 2.whatever which deals with interference calls. Rule 7.whatever only deals with what should happen after interference has been called. Two different rules addressing two different things.

David

Orioles1954
10-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Does anyone know if the runner has to touch home plate in that situation? I don't believe Craig did. I know he's awarded home plate on the obstruction call, but isn't it just like a walk off where he needs to make contact with the plate? Just curious.

I don't know the specific rule but his right foot did graze the plate.

ALR-bishop
10-27-2013, 03:58 AM
I despise the Cardinals with every fiber of my being, but the call was correct. Buzzard's Luck for Middlebrooks but the rule is the rule. If they don't apply it then it isn't fair to the Cardinals.

I'd love to know what the Cardinals brass have been sacrificing at their Satanic altar beneath their stadium all these years. I'd send some to Chicago...

Squirrels

David W
10-27-2013, 04:55 AM
I am pretty sure Middlebrooks threw his legs up on purpose.

And why not, he had nothing to lose, as Craig scores easily if he doesn't try to do something.

johnmh71
10-27-2013, 06:33 AM
How about actually calling the alleged obstruction when it takes place instead of after the runner is thrown out at home? They have only played three games and the umpiring of DeMuth has to seriously be questioned.

GaryPassamonte
10-27-2013, 07:05 AM
I believe obstruction is a delayed dead ball call. If the runner is safe, the obstruction is waived. I'm pulling for the Red Sox and don't like the outcome, but the umpire made the correct call.

MVSNYC
10-27-2013, 07:07 AM

Actually, i am not sure his foot grazed the plate. i just paused it and watched in slow-mo. unless he stood up and stepped on the plate (the camera cut away from the plate after the slide).

soxinseven
10-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Actually, i am not sure his foot grazed the plate. i just paused it and watched in slow-mo. unless he stood up and stepped on the plate (the camera cut away from the plate after the slide).

That's the way I am seeing it also. I am sure it doesn't matter because obstruction was called and it is an awarded base. I doubt it can be appealed and if it was, he would probably just have to step on the base to end the game.

TUM301
10-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Sox fan here, the rule is what it is kind of like the end of the Pats/Jets last Sunday. Not real impressed with this ump. crew, which I think is ranked among the bottom quarter in the majors. The strike zone once again was all over the place. Salty you aren`t J Bench and Middlebrooks has to take 1 step off the bag and catch that throw. Sox and Boucholtz tonite, have to get 6+ from him as bullpen is running out of gas. P S thought Napoli couild have been p h`ed in the 9`th but we`ll see tonite. I think the Sox tie it up and Mon is the swing game of the series !! GO SOX !!

MVSNYC
10-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Someone actually just explained this to me...It didn't matter if he touched home plate or not.

Obstruction was called...the runner was tagged before he touched home, and the home plate umpire made the decision that Craig would have scored if it wasn't for the obstruction. So he does not have to touch the plate, he was "awarded" the run.

birdman42
10-27-2013, 07:56 AM
How about actually calling the alleged obstruction when it takes place instead of after the runner is thrown out at home? They have only played three games and the umpiring of DeMuth has to seriously be questioned.

3B umpire called it immediately, signaling to the home plate umpire. Joyce did a good job of keeping track of both the ball as it went into left field and the action around the bag.

Bill

yanks12025
10-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Bush league play by Will. He purposely put his feet up to stop craig.

drmondobueno
10-27-2013, 08:22 AM

Fyi, this has nothing to do with the incident of interference. Craig could have stopped off at Starbucks and taken in a movie, it would not matter. Obstruction is obstruction. What happens after the fact means nothing, except to us crazed fans....what a game. Definitely one for the ages. The whole game was a war. Kudos to both teams.

soxinseven
10-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Someone actually just explained this to me...It didn't matter if he touched home plate or not.

Obstruction was called...the runner was tagged before he touched home, and the home plate umpire made the decision that Craig would have scored if it wasn't for the obstruction. So he does not have to touch the plate, he was "awarded" the run.

That is what I assumed, thank you for confirming. Obviously, I have never seen a play like this before!

conor912
10-27-2013, 09:35 AM

No, how about attaching electrodes to Saltalamachia's brain so he can be electrocuted every time he thinks throwing the ball is a good idea. His arm is a f***ing liability out there.

GoldenAge50s
10-27-2013, 11:29 AM

WRONG!

The runner actually tripped over Will's upper leg/hip area & then stumbled, putting his hand on Will's back to catch himself! If anything he helped hold Will down & his raised legs had nothing to do w/ it!

You're letting your Red Sox hatred cloud your vision & unbiased view once again!

steve B
10-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Not quite as bush as Alex "slappy" Rodriguez.....:D

I think the call was correct. Interference happened whether intentional or not.

The rule doesn't need changing. Adding an umpire having to determine intent is not going to be better. There's just too many ways to be slick about it then claim no intent. That's not a great situation for the fielder on a play like this, but it's the best way for everyone.

I'm sad to see the Sox lose that way, but that's how the game goes sometimes.

Steve B

ALR-bishop
10-27-2013, 12:37 PM
For Red Sox fans who think the call was wrong, we Cardinals fans who remember October 26, 1985, can relate

yanks12025
10-27-2013, 12:47 PM
WRONG!

The runner actually tripped over Will's upper leg/hip area & then stumbled, putting his hand on Will's back to catch himself! If anything he helped hold Will down & his raised legs had nothing to do w/ it!

You're letting your Red Sox hatred cloud your vision & unbiased view once again!

I disagree. First off me being a yankee fan or my hatred for the sox have nothing to do with it considering there's tons of people who seen the same thing from seeing the play. Second did you even see the play? It's obvious that middlebrooks did it to either A. Trip craig B. Slow him down. Middlebrooks was on his stomach, so you're telling me when you're on your stomach the best way to get up is to bend your legs back towards your back. NO

conor912
10-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I disagree. First off me being a yankee fan or my hatred for the sox have nothing to do with it considering there's tons of people who seen the same thing from seeing the play. Second did you even see the play? It's obvious that middlebrooks did it to either A. Trip craig B. Slow him down. Middlebrooks was on his stomach, so you're telling me when you're on your stomach the best way to get up is to bend your legs back towards your back. NO

I agree with you on this one. it was subtle, but it was there none-the-less. That said, Will had to try and I don't blame him.

I think there are two separate arguments here. 1)did he obstruct (or attempt to) in any way and 2) did the subtlty of the offense deserve to get called (as the deciding factor in a WS game, no less). I know a game is a game, but most officials in most sports typically let players be a hair more aggressive in championship play. To me, this is like ending a game on calling a runner safe on a second baseman's ghost tag on a double play attempt.

Jantz
10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
The biggest problem I have with the play was the weak slide made by Molina. A little more aggressive base running and the throw to third would have never happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Jantz

Paul S
10-27-2013, 01:50 PM
The biggest problem I have with the play was the weak slide made by Molina. A little more aggressive base running and the throw to third would have never happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Jantz

Totally +1. What was that? He might as well of given him a pat on the butt.

Deertick
10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Totally +1. What was that? He might as well of given him a pat on the butt.

Paul,
At least he got to the bag. If it was his brother Jose he'd still be "running". :D

Conor,
What if a batted ball had nicked a runner? Is that too ticky-tack to call? A balk? Where is the line?

KCRfan1
10-27-2013, 02:47 PM
For Red Sox fans who think the call was wrong, we Cardinals fans who remember October 26, 1985, can relate

No need to rehash " The Call ". St. Louis could have went out and won game 7, instead they got blown out. Bird fans always hang the I - 70 Series on a " blown " call. All you had to do was win the seventh game. Spilled milk.

conor912
10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Paul,
At least he got to the bag. If it was his brother Jose he'd still be "running". :D

Conor,
What if a batted ball had nicked a runner? Is that too ticky-tack to call? A balk? Where is the line?

Jim, I don't nessesarily disagree, although neither of your examples include hard-nosed play. Neither a ball knicking a runner or a balk are comprised of two competitors fighting it out. I suppose for me, that's the line, IMO. That said, on a technical level, the call was right.

Fred
10-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Why complain about the in obstruction call? It's done, it's over and the game went to the Cardinals - time to move on. It was a pretty good game up until that point. I think those were just two poor base running choices and the Cardinals came out on top, in spite of themselves.

What should the Sox do?

Play Napoli behind the plate and have both him and Big Papi in the liine up?

or

Play Napoli at first and sit Big Papi?

or

Play Big Papi at first and sit Napoli?

Paul S
10-27-2013, 04:35 PM
What should the Sox do?

or
or

Gotta play Ortiz. He's got the hot hand.

HRBAKER
10-27-2013, 04:55 PM
No need to rehash " The Call ". St. Louis could have went out and won game 7, instead they got blown out. Bird fans always hang the I - 70 Series on a " blown " call. All you had to do was win the seventh game. Spilled milk.

No bad call and no need for a Game 7. Shouldn't have to win 5 games.

conor912
10-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Why complain about the in obstruction call? It's done, it's over and the game went to the Cardinals - time to move on. It was a pretty good game up until that point. I think those were just two poor base running choices and the Cardinals came out on top, in spite of themselves.

What should the Sox do?

or

or

While I would love to see both bats in the lineup, I'd be shocked to see Napoli behind the plate. I'm more concerned with getting Nava the hell out of there. I understand he covers more ground than Gomes and Busch has a big left field, but that's a trade off I'd be willing to make. Nava's bat is dead weight out there.

kmac32
10-27-2013, 05:23 PM
The obstruction rule needs to be changed as any rule that gives the Cardinals a win can't be good.

HRBAKER
10-27-2013, 05:24 PM
The obstruction rule needs to be changed as any rule that gives the Cardinals a win can't be good.

Well you would need to change the rule that says the team that scores the most runs wins too! ;)

kmac32
10-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Well you would need to change the rule that says the team that scores the most runs wins too! ;)

I cheer for the Cubs and anyone playing the Cardinals. Any day the Cards lose is a good day in my book. LOL

novakjr
10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Unbiased opinion. As I have no rooting interest in either team. Well, I'm not too big on the Sox, but indifferent enough, that I just wanna see some good ball from both teams here.

Personally, I think the interferece call, was probably wrong. Not as a result of the umpire, but a result of the rule being completely overwritten, to the point where interpretation can come into play.. The runner having been called safe, as a result of the interference call, was definitely correct though. I only say that it shouldn't have been called, because looking at it, as a result of the play at third, I really don't think there was anything either of them could've done to avoid that contact. If anything, Craig could've avoided getting tangled up there. As far as Middlebrooks legs coming up, I really don't think he threw them up. It appeared that he tried to bounce up after the dive, and slipped.. But I'll also agree, that the contact was more in the ass area, than legs, so where the legs went should be irrelevant. I'd chalk it up as "incidental contact". And from the specifications of the rule, it appears that they were trying to say that contact as a direct result of a clean play, should not constitute interference, but it looks a bunch of idiots wrote it.

Now, given that it's written the way it's written. I'd have probably been ok whether it was called or not, because honestly, I think both would've been correct. The whole situation is pretty crappy, and shouldn't have happened.. And I fault the morons that wrote the rule the way they did. Had the thing been cut and dry, with no possible interpretations, we would've gotten the absolute correct call, with no arguments from anyone. Because I think both sides have a legit argument here.

Having said that, it's still the World Series, fellas. It was an interesting game, and they gave us something we really hadn't seen before. Let's just enjoy the series. And from a guy with no rooting interest. Go Baseball!!!

HRBAKER
10-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I cheer for the Cubs and anyone playing the Cardinals. Any day the Cards lose is a good day in my book. LOL

Ken, Believe me I understand the Cubs-Cards angle. Thankfully the way history has played out the Cards fans don't have to worry good or bad much about the Cubs.

KCRfan1
10-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Not true, the game was still there for the Cards to win, but like I said it's crying over spilled milk. Anyways, many clubs could be more successful if they would look at how the Cards run their organization. My Royals certainly could learn a thing or two. St Louis has great ownership and their ability to scout and develope talent is unsurpassed. They do it all without breaking the bank. The Cards rotation is set for the next ten years with those young arms and I expect to see a few more WS appearances as a result. Fun team to watch.

HRBAKER
10-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Not true, the game was still there for the Cards to win, but like I said it's crying over spilled milk. Anyways, many clubs could be more successful if they would look at how the Cards run their organization. My Royals certainly could learn a thing or two. St Louis has great ownership and their ability to scout and develope talent is unsurpassed. They do it all without breaking the bank. The Cards rotation is set for the next ten years with those young arms and I expect to see a few more WS appearances as a result. Fun team to watch.

I watched the majority of Royals games and went to several - I think they are close!

KCRfan1
10-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I watched the majority of Royals games and went to several - I think they are close!

I hope so Jeff. I have followed the team since 1971 when I had my second grade class picture taken with me in my Royals shirt. I have great admiration for the Cardinals who I believe are the best organization, top to bottom, in baseball. KC has missed on too many high draft picks, either poor scouting or an inability to develope the talent. Could be one of the two or both, I don't know which. Until that gets fixed it may be tough to win on a consistant basis. Great game by Lynn tonite, another young arm keeping Boston in check.

GoldenAge50s
10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Another unreal end to a WS game! This Red Sox team is the best in baseball at shaking off a tough loss & coming out the next day w/ a clean outlook.
I'm very proud of this team if they don't win another game--(but I think they will)

Sean
10-27-2013, 10:09 PM
While I would love to see both bats in the lineup, I'd be shocked to see Napoli behind the plate. I'm more concerned with getting Nava the hell out of there. I understand he covers more ground than Gomes and Busch has a big left field, but that's a trade off I'd be willing to make. Nava's bat is dead weight out there.

Conor, you called that one right. :D

Sean
10-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Even with the bad call St. Louis could have won. But Clark misplayed a foul pop, and Worrell crossed-up Porter and caused a passed ball.All of which preceded Iorg's hit.

Yeah, it was a terrible call, but it didn't end the game. The Cards still had their chance and couldn't get it done.

conor912
10-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Conor, you called that one right. :D

Yeah, I got half of my wish, which seemed to get job done :)

Another outstanding game. The cracks definitely showed in the rookies tonight. That unnessesarily rushed and wild throw by Bogaerts in the 8th could have been disastrous.....and Wong....oh my.

As annoying as I find Victorino, though, I'm not thrilled to see him out. He seems to always find a way to get on base. I'm just glad we get at least one more game in Boston and can get Napoli back in the mix.

yanks12025
10-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Roid Sox win, so sadly up 3 games to 2.

Ladder7
10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Brock meets big Papi!

yanks12025
10-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Brock meets big Papi!

I think your missing the milkshake or the needle in that picture, not sure how he takes his roids.

Ladder7
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey, There's no crying in baseball card forums

Bosox Blair
10-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Brock meets big Papi!

Wrong baby, Steve...you're looking for this one:

conor912
10-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Say what you want about Papi, but 11 for 15 in the WS is epic.

As romantic as it would be to win it in 7, I'm praying the Sox take it on Wednesday. Having to explain to my wife that I can't go trick or treating with the family so I can watch a baseball game is a conversation I DON'T want to have.

ullmandds
10-29-2013, 06:18 AM
I can't remember ever seeing such a dominant offensive performance as Poppi is putting on. Although the closer Kuwahara(sp) has been unreal as well! This Yankee fan sees the sox in 6.

HRBAKER
10-29-2013, 06:23 AM
I can't remember ever seeing such a dominant performance as Poppi is putting on. This Yankee fan sees the sox in 6.

He has been incredible.

nsaddict
10-29-2013, 06:43 AM
And Ortiz was robbed of a grand slam in game 1

ullmandds
10-29-2013, 06:44 AM
yes...and that!!!!

packs
10-29-2013, 07:39 AM
All this talk about Beltran and Ortiz's HOF credentials during the series is driving me crazy. Neither one of them are even close to being HOFers. If you're going to say, Look at what they did in the postseason, then how can you keep out Bernie Williams or Andy Pettitte, two guys who are said to fall short.

Bottom line for me is that Vlad was so far and away better than both of them and he's only talked about as being borderline.

Enough is enough Joe Buck. Neither one of them is a 300 hitter.

ullmandds
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree about all the HOF talk...nonsense...and the Bostoners nicknaming Poppi Cooperstown...that's just because compared to their credentials...he appears to be HOF material. He can't help not be implicated w/PED's...just like the rest of them...and this will certainly be taken into consideration when the time comes.

Republicaninmass
10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
His hitting, and BOTH teams pitching is just amazing. Also, the Cardinal's fan are so into the game, it seems like they are hanging on every pitch!

conor912
10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
I agree about all the HOF talk...nonsense...and the Bostoners nicknaming Poppi Cooperstown...that's just because compared to their credentials...he appears to be HOF material. He can't help not be implicated w/PED's...just like the rest of them...and this will certainly be taken into consideration when the time comes.

Was all this HOF talk a Fox post game discussion? I turn the tv off the second the last out is recorded.

packs
10-29-2013, 09:47 AM
They talk about it all throughout the game. If Joe Buck had been around for the 78 World Series he would have been calling Brian Doyle a HOFer too.

obcbobd
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
They talk about it all throughout the game. If Joe Buck had been around for the 78 World Series he would have been calling Brian Doyle a HOFer too.

Comparing Ortiz to Brian Doyle? Quite a stretch. Ortiz has .952 lifetime OPS, Doyle .392 :-)

packs
10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Haha I just meant the sentiment.

obcbobd
10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
I know, hence the smiley. Gotta keep these things light.

But according to baseball-reference.com, an average season of Ortiz is 35 HR, 118 RBIs. The only thing that can keep him out of the hall would be steroids. As he is tested multiple times a year and he will probably play another 4-5 years, plus waiting 5 more to be HOF eligible, there is plenty of time for definitive evidence that he cheated to be presented. Absent that he's in.

conor912
10-29-2013, 11:30 AM

But according to baseball-reference.com, an average season of Ortiz is 35 HR, 118 RBIs. The only thing that can keep him out of the hall would be steroids. As he is tested multiple times a year and he will probably play another 4-5 years, plus waiting 5 more to be HOF eligible, there is plenty of time for definitive evidence that he cheated to be presented. Absent that he's in.

I don't think he'll get in, but they'll brush past the steroids and use the fact that he was a dh and never played in the field on a regular basis as the reason, which is valid imo. That said, he is arguably the best post season hitter in the history of the game.

steve B
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Enough is enough Joe Buck. Neither one of them is a 300 hitter.

Neither is Williams.

Williams career .297 1257 rbi .381 obp 9053 Pa 287Hr
162 game average .297 98 .381 706 22

Ortiz career .287 1191 rbi .381 obp 8249 Pa 431 HR
162 game average .287 118 .381 679 35

Beltran .283 1327 rbi .359 obp 8949 Pa 358 HR
162 game average .283 104 .359 702 28

And a few HOF players by 162 game average
Player A .262 98 .356 656 32
Player B .298 102 .421 668 36
Player C .302 103 .384 677 36

Any guesses who A,B and C are? Looks like a "marginal" crew at best eh?

They all had longer careers, and a few off years as a result. Keep in mind Ortiz had a few partial years with MN and was also playing for a team that didn't want him to be a straight power hitter. Beltran has had a number of seasons with fewer than 100 games played as well.

Not saying Williams is marginal, despite not much power I think he'll get in eventually. Mostly benefitting from having played for some really great teams AND being a well liked player from NY. If He'd played his whole career for a small market team that won nothing I don't think he'd have a chance.
(And he's one of the few Yankees players I actually liked.)

Postseason performance matters too, and that's where some of the difference is. Ortiz has batted a bit over his average overall, but really well in WS. Beltran has also done much better postseason. Williams did rather poorly in the WS. and below his average overall.

Players AB+C are a mixed group postseason. One better, one about the same, another worse.

Steve B

packs
10-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Bernie Williams was an incredible clutch hitter that you could always depend on. He won some of those ALDS and ALCS series' for the Yankees by himself and was a major reason they reached the World Series. He was walked intentionally 7 times in World Series play, which should be a testament to how clutch and feared he was.

I'd pick him in his prime any day over Beltran and Ortiz for my postseason roster. He has dropped off the HOF ballot entirely despite having great postseason numbers and playing a premium position.

Ortiz could potentially hit 500 but has a PED cloud over him. Beltran isn't even close in my opinion. And like I said, Vlad eclipses all of them but is still talked about as a borderline candidate.

yanks12025
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM

Evidence???? He showed up on the same list as arod as to having failing drug test in 2003.

steve B
10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Bernie Williams was an incredible clutch hitter that you could always depend on. He won some of those ALDS and ALCS series' for the Yankees by himself and was a major reason they reached the World Series. He was walked intentionally 7 times in World Series play, which should be a testament to how clutch and feared he was.

I'd pick him in his prime any day over Beltran and Ortiz for my postseason roster. He has dropped off the HOF ballot entirely despite having great postseason numbers and playing a premium position.

Ortiz could potentially hit 500 but has a PED cloud over him. Beltran isn't even close in my opinion. And like I said, Vlad eclipses all of them but is still talked about as a borderline candidate.

?????

He batted .208 in world series play.

He was a great player, but his WS batting wasn't great.

Steve B

packs
10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
What I'm really trying to say is Yankees and Bernie #1. Boston unranked. Haha it kills me they're one game away.

irishdenny
10-29-2013, 07:21 PM
"Cards iN 7!!!"

jmho ;-)

kcohen
10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
"Cards iN 7!!!"

jmho ;-)

Man up! Show some cahones. Pick the Cards in 6.

conor912
10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm curious to see what will happen after the final out should Boston take it. Its been 95 years since the Sox clinched the title at Fenway. I know security will be up the wazoo, but I have many friends going who will be both drunk and stupid enough to rush the field.

steve B
10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow, no guesses on my three "marginal" HOFers from the earlier post.

I guess I'll have to give the answers

A = Reggie Jackson
B =Mickey Mantle
C =Willie Mays

I was surprised at their 162 game averages. I was expecting a lot higher all around than Williams, Ortiz, and Beltran. Finding them all roughly comparable was interesting.

Steve B

greenmonster66
10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Sox take it tonight!!

Ladder7
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Great opponents in St Louis... Thanks for an epic Series.

Congrats to RSN!

HRBAKER
10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Great job BOSTON.
As a Cardinal fan I hate to lose it but they were simply a much, much better team.

Race well run, job well done!

conor912
10-30-2013, 10:11 PM

Congrats to RSN!

Agreed. This postseason in general was insanely entertaining. I actually thought the ALCS was a better series than this one, but I'm splitting hairs. Either way, Brock is pissed, and that's all that matters right now ;)

sox1903wschamp
10-30-2013, 10:22 PM

Congrats to RSN!

+1

kmac32
10-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Agreed. This postseason in general was insanely entertaining. I actually thought the ALCS was a better series than this one, but I'm splitting hairs. Either way, Brock is pissed, and that's all that matters right now ;)

Any Series that the Cardinals lose is a great one. Lots of tears in St. Louis tonight for those Redbird fans and glee in Boston and Chicago. Now we are waiting for pitchers and catchers to report. We are ready for the next cycle of baseball. Go Cubs Go.

HRBAKER
10-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Ken I don't know if there are too many tears in St. Louis tonight.
That is unless the Cards fans were told that they had a future that looked something like the Cubs does. :)
It says something when your joy has to come from someone else losing as opposed to you ever winning.
But then that's the life of a Cub fan.

Great job BOSTON!

kmac32
10-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Ken I don't know if there are too many tears in St. Louis tonight.
That is unless the Cards fans were told that they had a future that looked something like the Cubs does. :)
It says something when your joy has to come from someone else losing as opposed to you ever winning.
But then that's the life of a Cub fan.

Great job BOSTON!

Jeff,

I have a friend who is a diehard Cardinal fan and I had to listen to his baloney all year. That is where I am coming from. Cards had a great year and the series was awesome but the crow my friend gets to eat by gloating all year is definitely deserved. LOL

drmondobueno
10-30-2013, 11:43 PM
This is a case where the better, the hot hitting lineup, determined, and brilliant pitching staff wins. All anybody in Boston, any Sox fan has to say is

SCOREBOARD

Any comebacks can be answered with

SCOREBOARD

I am a Pirate fan who is looking in awe at what a passionate, determined, well run team can do. Congrats to the Sox and Beantown. Just an incredible run this year.

See y'all in 2014

P S. Thanx for keepiing A- Fraud out of any playoff opportunity!

Vol
10-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Congrats to all the BoSox fans out there. :)

Great season!!

Now for the long winter..:rolleyes:

oldjudge
10-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Congratulations to the BoSox--great team effort! Can there be a stronger indictment of Bobby Valentine as a manager?

drmondobueno
10-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Congratulations to the BoSox--great team effort! Can there be a stronger indictment of Bobby Valentine as a manager?

+1. Great point...

barrysloate
10-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Very happy for Red Sox, only regret is to see Wacha get hit so hard in the most important game of his life. He'll bounce back. He was a great story this year.

HRBAKER
10-31-2013, 05:40 AM
Very happy for Red Sox, only regret is to see Macha get hit so hard in the most important game of his life. He'll bounce back. He was a great story this year.

He seems to be a well grounded kid, he'll be back.
Gotta learn to take the bad with the good.
That's called learning your lesson on a big stage though.

barrysloate
10-31-2013, 05:41 AM
He seems to be a well grounded kid, he'll be back.
Gotta learn to take the bad with the good.
That's called learning your lesson on a big stage though.

Absolutely true.

Ladder7
10-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Warriors, come out to plaaaaaaay.