PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a color photgraph of Cobb

rainier2004
10-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Hey gang:

Hope this post is in the right spot and I don't get to this neighborhood that often. I would absolutely love to find this classic photo reprinted in color, but I am not sure what I am doing. Would this photo even be reprinted in color? I'd really like to find in 11x14 or 16x20 or so. My very crude searches including eBay didn't lead me anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Kawika
10-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Here's Graig Kreindler's interpretation.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/mischidden/miscellany2/Ty_Cobb_1910_July_23En1.jpg

Runscott
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Purchase a hi-res copy printed on paper that you can color over. Use Graig's color-scheme to paint it yourself, or to have someone else do it for you.

Be careful who you purchase your hi-res copy from. I bought a few Conlons for a pretty penny, from a source with a website that was produced much better than the images they mail you. They do own the original negatives, so the potential is there if they ever decide to go with a good printer.

rainier2004
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
David - That is arguably my favorite Kreindler...I couldn't remember if that beauty is yours?

Scott - You overestimate any artistic ability I may have, I like the idea if I knew someone who could do it...

thecatspajamas
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
There is a guy who takes old b/w baseball photos, digitally "colorizes" them in photoshop (similar to what Scott was suggesting, but all done digitally), and sells prints on eBay and elsewhere. The name, user ID, and whether he's tackled this one or not all escape me, so this post may be pretty much useless :p

I know he's posted on here before though, so perhaps he'll see it and either help you out or make that his next project.

Scott, I would love to hear specifics about the print quality of the Conlon photos you spoke of. Pretty sure I know of where you're talking about getting them, but have never been able to pull the trigger at those prices, so I've not seen any of their modern prints in person. PM me if you want (once you've caught up on your sleep after last night's auction).

Runscott
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
There is a guy who takes old b/w baseball photos, digitally "colorizes" them in photoshop (similar to what Scott was suggesting, but all done digitally), and sells prints on eBay and elsewhere. The name, user ID, and whether he's tackled this one or not all escape me, so this post may be pretty much useless :p

I know he's posted on here before though, so perhaps he'll see it and either help you out or make that his next project.

Scott, I would love to hear specifics about the print quality of the Conlon photos you spoke of. Pretty sure I know of where you're talking about getting them, but have never been able to pull the trigger at those prices, so I've not seen any of their modern prints in person. PM me if you want (once you've caught up on your sleep after last night's auction).

Lance, you HAD to have won a few last night? I went to bed around 10:00 Pacific, so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning.

The problem with the prints we allude to is that they do not have the richness and depth of original vintage prints - not even close, in my opinion. In addition to all of my silver gel original prints, I have a few nice vintage platinum prints. I have no idea if these 'new' version platinum prints are of better relative quality than the silver gels, but I will leave other, more adventurous collectors, to run that test (I would love to hear someone disagree with me regarding the silver gels - perhaps I just got a bad batch?)

Regarding the digitally-colored Conlons - the good ones are incredible. I bet someone has already done that to the 'sliding' image.

sayheykid54
10-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Check out this Kreindler Ty Cobb painting.

What a fantastic stunning painting of another classic Cobb image.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sayheykid1954/image_zpsff9c0d4c.jpg

steve B
10-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Does Graig sell prints? It seems to me that would be the best way to go.

Steve B

sayheykid54
10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
As of right now he doesn't sell prints.

rainier2004
10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Does Graig sell prints? It seems to me that would be the best way to go.

Steve B

If you read his rules, a buyer must pay 1/3 of a commissioned piece balance that goes towards purchasing certain photo rights...I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I got the impression he wouldn't even be able to do this with the way he runs things. Beautiful paintings, would love a print...